Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2238271 - 06/17/20 07:01 PM SCRA HUD Notice & Bankruptcy
liventhedream Offline
100 Club
Can a bank send the SCRA HUD and Home Ownership Counseling notice to borrowers what are in bankruptcy?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2238275 - 06/17/20 07:27 PM Re: SCRA HUD Notice & Bankruptcy liventhedream
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Wouldn't those be sent with the past due notices/letters (that's when we send ours)? Unless the bankruptcy stay has been lifted collection activity is prohibited.

This question would be best asked of the bank's attorney.

Return to Top
#2241019 - 08/13/20 07:08 PM Re: SCRA HUD Notice & Bankruptcy liventhedream
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Although it has little real purpose for a borrower in bankruptcy, I've never seen any ruling on it and since it is more a resource and counselling availability notice I would be inclined to send it to the debtors attorney with a cover letter indicating the bank is aware of the proceedings but has an obligation to notify the debtor about these options available to them. Bank counsel may best word it, as Dan noted, but hopefully you'd only pay for that wording once.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2243815 - 10/08/20 06:27 PM Re: SCRA HUD Notice & Bankruptcy liventhedream
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Question related to the SCRA notice; if there was a violation of the Homeownership Counseling Act that was connected to the SCRA notice, would any SCRA penalties be applicable? Would this only be a violation of the HCA or would it also be a violation of SCRA? Thank you.

Return to Top
#2243888 - 10/09/20 08:07 PM Re: SCRA HUD Notice & Bankruptcy liventhedream
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The "SCRA Notice" as we call it isn't under the SCRA. It was a HUD requirement 2006-28 as I recall. So there is no SCRA violation.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z