Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1125880 - 02/09/09 03:25 PM When protection begins?
Noopette Offline
Noopette
A Q&A in the info vault on Bankers indicates that a bank should use the date the servicemember received the orders for active duty rather than the date they must report to active duty.

The SSCRA states that protection begins on the first day of active duty, which means the person ships out to basic training.

I'm confused and would appreciate any clarification. Thank you.

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#1126003 - 02/09/09 05:04 PM Re: When protection begins? Noopette
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If I'm in the National Guard/Reserves my active duty status begins when I receive my orders to report.

If I enlist in one of the Armed Services my active duty status begins when I report to be inducted.

Return to Top
#1126999 - 02/10/09 05:40 PM Re: When protection begins? Dan Persfull
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Dan is right on. And if you're reading SSCRA, it is a dated article as the SCRA is the revised law.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1128515 - 02/12/09 01:53 PM Re: When protection begins? Andy_Z
Padric Offline
100 Club
Padric
Just for the sake of clarity, could someone confirm my thinking?

The National Guard called from their private sector jobs to serve for purposes of using the date orderes were received to provice SCRA coverage?

Reserves - sorry to be so stupid, but who are they? I'm assuming they are people who served and received schooling and are now on stand-by to be called up if needed. They too are covered from the date they receive their orders.

National Guard called to protect the borders or airports are just as covered as those being sent overseas.

Enlistee is anyone who joins the military - signs up and will report to basic training. Presumably it would cover anyone who already served, got out and is reinlisting. Is that correct?

Career military and full time national guard aren't covered because their pay doesn't change.

Coast Guard aren't covered.

Is my understanding correct. I'm getting awfully confused. Thank you.

Return to Top
#1130071 - 02/13/09 08:15 PM Re: When protection begins? Padric
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Padric, 'Reserves' pertains to those men and women who are sometimes called 'weekend warriors', where they serve one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year, and can get called to 'active' duty at a moment's notice to serve in a capacity that includes war, national disaster, etc. My second son is in the Army Reserves, and was called to active duty to serve in Iraq, where he spent 15 months. He is back stateside, and back to reserve status.

Return to Top
#1130358 - 02/14/09 04:13 AM Re: When protection begins? TINKerBell
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Yes, you could get out and go back in an be covered.

Yes, the Coast Guard is covered, so are Commissioned officer of the Public Health Service and Commissioned member of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1130495 - 02/16/09 01:51 PM Re: When protection begins? Andy_Z
Padric Offline
100 Club
Padric
THank you all for your valuable input. Can you clarity when "Active Duty" status begins for Coast Guard, Commissioned office of Public Health etc. Thank you again.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z