Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1625618 - 11/08/11 03:37 PM Facebook Contest
ComplyGirlTN Offline
What kind of compliance issues am I looking at if our Marketing department wants to host a contest on our CU's Facebook page? Contest will be set up like this: Post your best money saving idea on our wall. If you win (voted on by other Facebook users "likes"), you receive a $25 gift card. No requirement that the winner be a member. No requirement to have an account. The only requirement is to have a Facebook account. The main purpose of this is simply to get people to our Facebook page. The contest could potentially be mentioned on our website and in our newsletter/receipt message/etc. Any major problems with this?

Thank you!

Return to Top
Marketing
#1625738 - 11/08/11 05:08 PM Re: Facebook Contest ComplyGirlTN
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
They have to give you something of value (at least something you value-a FB fan). Exchanging something of value for a chance to win a price = a lottery/raffle.

Check your state statutes to verify.

Return to Top
#1626014 - 11/08/11 08:45 PM Re: Facebook Contest BrendaC
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
I don't know. It does not sound like you are asking them to [Like] your page; just post their idea on your page. Others are going to [Like], or not, their ideas. (Which, I believe, exempts the contest because they will win on merit, not by lottery)

Also, anyone "can" post. Even if they don't have a computer, they can go down to the local library, get onto the library’s computers, set up an email, set up a Facebook account and post their idea. It may be a lot of work, but it is not giving you anything of value.

Return to Top
#1626055 - 11/08/11 09:33 PM Re: Facebook Contest Rie A
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Five simple words "waste of time and money".

Return to Top
#1626233 - 11/09/11 02:13 PM Re: Facebook Contest rlcarey
ComplyGirlTN Offline
@rlcarey I agree. Like most Compliance people out there, I wish our institution wasn't on Facebook at all. Funny thing is, I was never approached about whether or not it was a good idea. I was just told after the fact that we had a Facebook page. Thanks Marketing!

Return to Top
#1626251 - 11/09/11 02:36 PM Re: Facebook Contest rlcarey
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Five simple words "waste of time and money".

laugh My first thought too!

Sorry Nashville Girl. This Marketing girl is fighting Facebook tooth and nail. Unfortunately, surprisingly enough, some of the older directors are pushing for it. crazy

Return to Top
#1626267 - 11/09/11 02:49 PM Re: Facebook Contest Rie A
ComplyGirlTN Offline
I think those that push for it just don't understand the risks. They see it as this great "free" Marketing tool that everyone else is using, so why not us? Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Return to Top
#1626341 - 11/09/11 03:42 PM Re: Facebook Contest Rie A
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
They want to be "cool"!
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker