Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1652460 - 01/18/12 09:11 PM Another Rate Board Question
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
One board-to cover deposits and loans

Deposits can say rate, apy (stated as apy and not spelled out)
and note to ask bank rep for further details? And thats it right?

Loans-if we list and call our product the "30 yr fixed rate loan" we've "triggered" by saying "30 year" right?

Thank you.

Return to Top
Marketing
#1652528 - 01/18/12 11:05 PM Re: Another Rate Board Question biz
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
"30 yr." is a trigger term for closed end credit.

Return to Top
#1662903 - 02/09/12 07:14 PM Re: Another Rate Board Question biz
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
Following up on the comment about posting deposit rate information on board [in this case an electronic sign which has a limitation on the number of alpha numeric characters]...is it legal to post the rate in the following manner, for example,
"9 Month CD Special 1.15 APY" ? Is there any law that says "APY" must be spelled out as "Annual Percentage Yield"?

Thank you. I do not work the deposit side of the bank, and I am asking on behalf of someone who does and who takes care of our electronic sign.

Return to Top
#1662975 - 02/09/12 08:30 PM Re: Another Rate Board Question biz
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Assuming that this board is inside the bank office, you can use either "annual percentage yield" or the "APY" abbreviation. You have to also include a statement advising consumers to contact an employee for further information about applicable fees and terms.
Last edited by John Burnett; 02/09/12 08:31 PM.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1662981 - 02/09/12 08:38 PM Re: Another Rate Board Question biz
Mike Baker Offline
100 Club
Mike Baker
Tennessee
I should have clarified that the electronic sign is outside. If we are advertising more than 1 deposit product on the same "scrolling marquee" could we spell out "Annual Percentage Rate" on 1, and use APY on the others? If so, I suppose we would need to show something like the following for the 1st product: "9 Month CD Special 1.15% Annual Percentage Yield (APY)" then could we follow with "72 Month CD Special 1.99% APY"?

Return to Top
#1663197 - 02/10/12 01:30 PM Re: Another Rate Board Question biz
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I think you're making a reasonable argument for use of APY as the marquee message scrolls, as long as you spell out "annual percentage yield" at the start of the message. You'll need to comply with the rest of the abbreviated outdoor media ad requirements in Regulation DD ยง1030.8. And don't forget "Member FDIC" unless the sign is affixed to your building.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker