Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2225078 - 11/04/19 08:25 PM Contest
KeepSmiling Offline
We would like to increase the usage of e-statements. In order to entice our customers to sign up, we'd like to run a contest where the customer submits a short essay on, for example, why they love our bank. The best essay, as chosen by our marketing team, would win a trip.
The winner isn’t chosen at random, so I don't this this would be a lottery or sweepstakes, correct? Instead, it would be considered a contest. Is this legal as long as we provide the appropriate disclosures?

Return to Top
Marketing
#2225082 - 11/04/19 08:49 PM Re: Contest KeepSmiling
Adam Witmer Offline
Power Poster
Well, I don't think this would be permitted as you describe it. To explain, let's look at the definition of a lottery (this is from FDIC rules):

(2) The term "lottery" includes any arrangement, other than a savings promotion raffle, whereby three or more persons (the "participants") advance money or credit to another in exchange for the possibility or expectation that one or more but not all of the participants (the "winners") will receive by reason of their advances more than the amounts they have advanced, the identity of the winners being determined by any means which includes--

(A) a random selection;

(B) a game, race, or contest; or

(C) any record or tabulation of the result of one or more events in which any participant has no interest except for its bearing upon the possibility that he may become a winner.

In reviewing your proposal, I see two things. First, the essay is about why customers love your bank. This implies that only customers can submit the essay (though I could be wrong), and when you have a customer, they have advanced money (opened a deposit account) or advanced credit (taken out a loan). Secondly, a contest to determine the winner is included in the definition of a lottery. Therefore, it appears your proposed "contest" meets the definition of a lottery (under the quoted FDIC rules) and, therefore, is not permitted.

All statements are my opinion, not those of my employer, and should not be taken as legal advice.
www.compliancecohort.com

Return to Top
#2225118 - 11/05/19 04:53 PM Re: Contest KeepSmiling
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Plus, what does your contest and why they love your bank have to do with signing up for e-statements? Is it only customers who do who can enter your contest? Lastly, I agree with Adam's response as stated above.

Return to Top
#2225325 - 11/08/19 02:24 PM Re: Contest Adam Witmer
KeepSmiling Offline
What if we offer a prize for enrolling in e-statements OR if they don't want to enroll, they can submit a post card. We would get specific with the requirements, but no purchase would be necessary and it would be open to anyone, not just customers. Would that work?

Return to Top
#2225328 - 11/08/19 02:32 PM Re: Contest KeepSmiling
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
How would non-customers know about the contest?

Return to Top
#2225333 - 11/08/19 02:48 PM Re: Contest KeepSmiling
KeepSmiling Offline
If we post it on our website and Facebook, is that enough?

Return to Top
#2225339 - 11/08/19 03:17 PM Re: Contest KeepSmiling
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Really a business decision. Sort of defeats the purpose of the contest. If I don't want e-statements - what becomes the incentive to actually sign up?.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker