Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#373401 - 06/15/05 07:07 PM advertising rules
Constance Offline
I am trying to find out if an account can be advertised as free or no cost if an overdraft plan that has fees attached is available for that account but not mandatory for that account.

Return to Top
Marketing
#373402 - 06/15/05 07:22 PM Re: advertising rules
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Yes, neither the Guidance nor the changes to Regulation DD prohibit you from advertising an account as "free" just because an ODP is attached.

What the guidance suggested and the Regulation DD amendments crystalized is that any advertisement for a "free" account that mentions ODP as a feature must indicate that the ODP servcie is not free. It would also require disclosure of the ODP fees involved plus all of the other ODP advertising disclosures. In effect, mention of the ODP feature becomes a triggering term.

Return to Top
#373403 - 06/15/05 09:37 PM Re: advertising rules
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
In fact, mentioning the ODP feature not only triggers the advertising disclosures, it also triggers the need for specific periodic statement disclosures beginning in July, 2006 and continuing for at least two years beyond the last promotion of the ODP program.

Return to Top
#373404 - 06/16/05 07:23 PM Re: advertising rules
Anonymous
Unregistered

question on that rule, (diff poster). in the section stating continued periodic statement disclosures at least two years....
if we advertise ODP now, stop before july 2006, we would not need to include the periodic disclosures, because the rule is not retro?
does this sound correct?

Return to Top
#373405 - 06/20/05 04:25 PM Re: advertising rules
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I believe that your interpretation is correct. You could, in effect, push the service between now and 7/1/06 and not be subject to periodic statement disclosure if you had ceased ALL promotion by 6/30/06.

However, when you review the rule to determine what "promotion" is, you'll see that it won't be easy to go "cold turkey" on promotions. If you still have the ODP service, and communicate with your customers in almost any way (there are exceptions, but not many) about the service, you're still promoting.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker