Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#125556 - 10/27/03 01:50 PM College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
1. Oklahoma--A little letdown this week in their win against Colorado, but they may have been looking ahead to the Cowpokes. They should be!! GO COWBOYS!!!

2. Miami--No looking forward to Virginia Tech here, but West Virginia may have helped that cause. GO HOKIES!!!

3. USC--Oregon State made this week's game against Washington State not quite as exciting, but USC better not have a letdown. GO COUGARS!!!

4. LSU--I bet more than one player on this team was reliving their one loss after beating up on Auburn. Oh, what could have been! Look out for La. Tech this week.

5. Florida State--They are looking good again after stumbling against Miami in the mush. This week an awful Notre Dame.

6. Ohio State--They won 35 - 6 over a terrible Indiana team--only North Carolina State let them score more (44), but they only lost by 6. This week at a 2 win Penn State--watch out, Joe wants his win record back.

7. Nebraska--they beat Iowa State 28 - 0, they must have been looking ahead to Texas. Texas has had their number lately. They are at Texas this week--GO LONGHORNS!!

8. Michigan State--44 - 38 over Minnesota--can you say: DEFENSE, DEFENSE--I did not think so. Has Michigan at home this week.

9. Georgia--Does UAB stand for "U Almost got Beat"? Two weeks ago they beat Tennessee 41 -14, then this week they beat the UAW, I mean UAB, 16 - 13. Watsup wit dat?? Here come the Gators!

10. Virginia Tech--OK, it's safe to start thinking about the Miami game now. Oops! Oh, I see you started thinking about it early.

The others:

11. Oklahoma State--One more win and they may crack the Top 5. They will need a little more defense than they showed against Texas Tech to beat Oklahoma.

12. Michigan--Underdogs against Michigan State?

13. Iowa--This team just won't go away.

14. Texas--This team keeps rolling over cream-puffs and imploding against good competition (except for Kansas State--but they tried).

15. TCU--Still not sure these guys belong in the Top 20, but they are undefeated--so, here they are.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#125557 - 10/27/03 02:54 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Scary! It's a plot to get Florida to not take us seriously, yeah, that's it! Absolutely disgusting. After the Tennesee game, I was worried that this exact thing might happen, and it has. I sure hope that the Dawgs can turn this thing around, but I really have to wonder if you can suddenly get hyped up for a game after playing like garbage for 2 weeks. I guess we'll know on Saturday, but right now, I am not so sure.

Return to Top
#125558 - 10/27/03 03:24 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I'm going to stick my neck out this week and predict that the Longhorns whoop-up on Nebraska. Texas always seems to come together after the Oklahoma game. Though they have just been beating up on lousy teams, they have looked good doing it. When they beat lousy teams before the Oklahoma game, they were making dumb mistakes that a good team would have capitalized on. I am not seeing those mistakes now. Maybe, just maybe, they are ready for prime time. If they can run the table in an impressive way, a BCS game may not be out of the question. Just ask the 2001. Colorado team.

Texas 35, Nebraska 17

Return to Top
#125559 - 10/27/03 10:39 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Anonymous
Unregistered

What about the Alabama-Tennessee game?? Five overtimes!! Did that set a new record??

Return to Top
#125560 - 10/27/03 11:39 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

What about the Alabama-Tennessee game?? Five overtimes!! Did that set a new record??

No. There were 2 games last year that had 6 OT's.

Return to Top
#125561 - 10/28/03 01:33 AM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
Arkansas and Ole Miss, 7 OT's two years ago.

Return to Top
#125562 - 10/28/03 02:22 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
I read an article in the paper last night that quoted Mark Richt as saying that his team is "beat up" and they are just limping right now. Funny how roles reverse. UF was looking at LSU, Arkansas & UGA with trepidation and now UGA is terrified of UF, Auburn & Tech. UGA is only a 3 1/2 pt favorite now....Florida will most likely win and that will finish UGA for the year. 8-4 at the end at back to the Outback bowl for the dawgs. The glass is sooooo half empty right now!!!

Return to Top
#125563 - 10/28/03 03:14 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
JMS, I am worried about the UF game as well, but for different reasons. The injuries don't concern me. At the beginning of the season, what did we hear. Injuries, suspensions, graduation, and the NFL have depleted this team. They won't be able to repeat their success of last year. They are "one year away". The score of the first game? Big Georgia Dawgs- 30, Clemson Housecats- 0. We've played all the cupcakes close and have worn out all of the "tough" teams. We've played through the injuries. What I am concerned about is the passion. I don't know if you can play "sleepwalk" football for two weeks straight and then, suddenly, turn on the juice. Here's what we have on our side. The number one defense in the nation. Ever since I have followed UGA, it's been our defense that has kept us in games. UF is young, too. Our D-line will get after Chris Leak and keep him from getting settled. He's good, but he's a freshman. It will be close, but I think we can win. Comparing our loss to LSU to that of Auburn, I am not so worried about Auburn anymore. Sure, they have a good team, but they are one dimensional offensively. UK can put points on the board in a hurry if they have to, but Pillsbury Throwboy makes stupid decisions under pressure. Tech is going to be a tough game. They play great defense and they have a good, but young QB. By that time, I expect the juices to be flowing. We have a week off after the UF game to get healthy. I think we will be back in Atlanta on December 6th to face LSU again. We will not lose to LSU a second time. If we do lose to Florida, as long as we win out, we still have a chance, but our fate is decided by the other SEC athletic directors with the exception of Tennessee, Florida, and UGA (provided those teams win out). We still have a shot at the BCS.

Return to Top
#125564 - 10/28/03 11:33 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
It's "Bedlam" weekend in Oklahoma! One of the best in-state rivalries around. You never know what is going to happen - but I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed that Bob and the Boyz are gonna pull it out this year!

Come on Sooner Fans - let me hear a little "Boomer Sooner"!

Return to Top
#125565 - 10/29/03 04:38 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am tired of Big College football. Just a bunch of egos who think they are the Big Guys on campus. But I really enjoy the military academies. These guys are smaller but still knock off the big guys from time to time. Only get to practice an hour a day and carry 18-24 hours of course work. And most of them graduate. They play for the love of the game and the pure competition. No one there looking for any NFL contract. GO AIR FORCE!

Return to Top
#125566 - 10/29/03 06:07 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I'm with you, Anonymous, on the military acadamies. I'm really looking forward to December when I get to go to my first Army/Navy game. Also, as a Citadel graduate, I've seen firsthand how hard these guys work outside of the football stadium on other aspects of becoming well-rounded young men and not just football players.

Return to Top
#125567 - 10/29/03 11:10 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Geaux Tigers - PL Offline
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
"I think we will be back in Atlanta on December 6th to face LSU again. We will not lose to LSU a second time."
Get real Dawg fan. LSU didn't even come close to playing its best game and still beat you.
Better hope you get the immature Chris Leak. Never really know which one is going to show up, but if you don't get to him, the Gators could have your number.

Return to Top
#125568 - 10/30/03 02:17 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Quote:

Get real Dawg fan. LSU didn't even come close to playing its best game and still beat you.

You make it sound like the only reason LSU scored 17 points is because they had an off week. LSU scored only 17 points because they ran into the number one defense in the country. You lit USC up, so did we. You lit Auburn up, but Auburn is still overrated. They beat Tennessee, but that's because Tennessee is overrated as well. UT had trouble with Carolina and they got it handed to them by UGA and it took them 5 overtimes to beat Bama. So what if Auburn beat Arkansas. Arkansas lost to UF and to Ole Miss. What does all this prove? Nothing. And everything, like the fact that anyone can beat anyone in the SEC (with the exception of 2 or 3 teams). I still think if UGA faces LSU in December, you will lose. That's not to say that LSU isn't a good team, because they most certainly are. In any case, UGA still has to take a battered team into Jax on Saturday and face a confident, and rested Florida team. We will get to Leak, too. If Pollack doesn't do it, Thomas Davis will crush him on the safety blitz. GO DAWGS!!

Return to Top
#125569 - 10/30/03 06:55 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
Now hold up Dawg fan. I actually respect Georgia alot, just don't get so excited that you're going to beat LSU so easily if we again in December. Although I hope both teams win out and the game will decide one of us going to at least a BCS game or at best the national championship game, which would be incredible!!
But we both know we've got a long way left to get there. Oh and by the way, you may be listed as # 1 in total defense, but LSU is # 1 in scoring defense! Also LSU is listed as the overall # 1 team according to the all phases index on cbs sportline. Here's the link. http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6789645
By the way, Georgia is listed at # 10.

Return to Top
#125570 - 10/30/03 07:02 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Oh and by the way, you may be listed as # 1 in total defense, but LSU is # 1 in scoring defense! Also LSU is listed as the overall # 1 team according to the all phases index on cbs sportline. Here's the link. http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6789645
By the way, Georgia is listed at # 10.

Yes, and it has Boise State at #4, South Florida #6, Bowling Green # 7, Akron #11. So, what is your point??

Return to Top
#125571 - 10/30/03 07:06 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
Hey you weren't suppose to notice that!!
Plus the poll is meaningless, but hey if you're team is listed as # 1 in something, why not list it!

Return to Top
#125572 - 10/30/03 07:12 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Agreed. UGA still has to face Florida, Auburn, UK, and Georgia Tech. I see three of those four as being tough, however, UK can put up some points. I would love to see an LSU-Georgia rematch. I would also love to see the SEC in the Champioship game. I think both LSU and UGA could beat Miami, and they could probably both beat OU (gasp!). A Big XII-SEC national championship would be great. Those are probably the toughest two conferences in the country, but I would have to say the SEC is the toughest.

About the all phases index, it's rare that a team puts all three phases together on a consistent basis. For example, in the last two games, UGA's defense and special teams kept us in games. In LSU's loss to Florida, the only points came from Skyler Green on a kick return.

Return to Top
#125573 - 10/30/03 07:13 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Z- I think Boise State gets points for the blue field.

Return to Top
#125574 - 10/30/03 07:22 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
You're right. And that's why we lost that game. Offense didn't show up.

Return to Top
#125575 - 10/30/03 09:37 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Geaux Tigers, I will attempt not to refer to you as GT. GT stands for Georgia Tech- I have too much respect for you to ever refer to you in such a manner . By the way, does LSU have a rivalry game? I know you guys seem to be the only game in town as far as collegiate sports goes in Louisiana. In any case, I am sure you'd like to see Florida win so you guys can get another shot at them, and I have made no secret what I'd like to see. So what do you think? Who do you think is going to win the Cocktail Party this weekend?

Return to Top
#125576 - 10/31/03 05:14 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
Thanks for not referring to me as GT.
With regards to traditional rivals for LSU, we are sort in a state of flux with that. Ole Miss was our longtime traditional rival back in the 50's, 60's and 70's, because back then that game often played a huge role in who became SEC champs. The other was Tulane before they left the SEC in the 60's. Now we have some rivals like Auburn and Florida just because we play them every year, but the one that is really developing is with Arkansas.
With regards to the cocktail party, I like Georgia to win, but I would not be surprised to see Florida win with all the injuries Georgia has. The big key is the first half. If Georgia get inside Chris Leak's head a little and not let him get comfortable, I think they'll win. But if Florida gets comfortable, it could be a bad day for the Dawgs.
Good Luck.
By the way, I want the Dawgs to win. I really don't like Florida.

Return to Top
#125577 - 10/31/03 05:42 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, it appears that Gibson will be playing tomorrow. That's great for us. The other thing is that, I know it is true that we are banged up, but I think Richt has allowed the talk to create a bit of an illusion. The way some people talk, we are fielding our second team. The truth is, the playmakers will be in the game. Greene, Gibson, Browning, Gary, Jones, Davis, Pollack. I agree, we have to get after Leak, but that's going to be tough. I hear he's pretty calm. But he's never had David Pollack chasing him for a whole game, either. I don't like Florida, either. But I can't think of a team in the SEC that does.

Return to Top
#125578 - 10/31/03 06:25 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

60's and 70's, because back then that game often played a huge role in who became SEC champs

I think your history is a little confused. Please tell me you have been drinking in the BOL bar. As a Crimson Tide fan, I just have to set the record straight.

Here are the Champions in the 1960s and 1970s. In the 60's I only list the champion and then Ole Miss, Alabama, and LSU's records, if they were not the champion (I got lazy and did not do the 70s this way). In other words, this is not the order they finished in the conference.

1960 Ole Miss 5-0-1, LSU 2-3-1
1961 Alabama 7-0, LSU 6-0, Ole Miss 5-1
1962 Ole Miss 6-0, Bama 6-1, LSU 5-1
1963 Ole Miss 5-0-1, Auburn 6-1, Bama 6-2, LSU 4-2
1964 Alabama 8-0, LSU 4-2-1, Ole Miss 2-4-1
1965 Alabama 6-1-1, Ole Miss 5-3, LSU 3-3
1966 Alabama 6-0, Ole Miss 5-2, LSU 3-3
1967 Tennessee 6-0, Bama 5-1, Ole Miss 4-2-1, LSU 3-2-1
1968 Georgia 5-0-1, Bama 4-2, LSU 4-2 Ole Miss 3-2-1,
1969 Tennessee 5-1, LSU 4-1, Ole Miss 4-2, Bama 2-4

Championships in the 1970s:

1970 LSU
1971 Alabama
1972 Alabama
1973 Alabama
1974 Alabama
1975 Alabama
1976 Georgia
1977 Alabama
1978 Alabama
1979 Alabama

By the way, LSU did win one SEC championship during that time. It was in 1958. You can check this out at:

SEC Historical Football Standings

Return to Top
#125579 - 10/31/03 08:22 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Z- I think Geaux was referring to the fact that, regardless of whether or not LSU was in the running for the championship, a win over Ole Miss (or Bama) could change that team's fortunes. We have such a situation this Saturday. If UGA loses, there's a huge logjam, at least for the moment, in the SEC East. There is a potential logjam in the West, with LSU and Auburn with one loss apiece, and Ole Miss with no losses, but still yet to face both LSU and Auburn. This is why I love SEC football.

Return to Top
#125580 - 10/31/03 08:32 PM Re: College Football-the week of 10-27-2003
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
It's nice to come to this thread and see that there's more to college football than just Michigan / Michigan State. It's all we hear about up here, which is what makes rivalries so neat.

This game will help decide a Rose Bowl contender - if Michigan's quarterback can stay patient and take what State's defense gives him, and if Michigan can establish any kind of run offense, the Wolverines will win easily. They aren't as good as all the pre-season hype, but they're better than their current 7-2.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2