BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#130226 - 11/12/03 02:37 PM Atkins diet
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Has anybody ever done this? What did you think? My husband and I are thinking of embarking on this dieting adventure, but i wanted so others thoughts.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#130227 - 11/12/03 02:43 PM Re: Atkins diet
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Here's a whole thread on lo-carb diets .

Return to Top
#130228 - 11/12/03 02:45 PM Re: Atkins diet
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
DH did it for 2 weeks - he is a big meat eater anyways - but broke down when someone waved a Krispy Kreme in front of him. He was surprised that he did not care for the diet much, he thought it would be easy.

One thing I will tell you from his experience, if you are a caffeine junkie, make sure you get some diet RC cola, it is allowed, where most other caffeinated sodas are not (not sure about coffee.) He went through a major caffeine withdrawal, and the diet exacerbated it. He was throwing up, had the shakes and a headache, etc. And he's not that big an addict, just a 3 Dr Pepper a day habit.

It's not the program for me, but if you try it, good luck....

Return to Top
#130229 - 11/12/03 04:01 PM Re: Atkins diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did it. It is very hard the first 2 weeks, however I lost about 20lbs. over about 2 months. Then I started adding carbs back in and the pounds came back on. If you are going to do it, you have to be ready to give up a lot.

Return to Top
#130230 - 11/12/03 04:04 PM Re: Atkins diet
Clint,,,,, Offline
Gold Star
Clint,,,,,
Way Out West
Ladies,

It may seem a little unusual, but some men are also conscious of their weight, so if you will indulge me, I will offer my opinion.

In order to lose weight and maintain your weight loss there are some basic things one should realize. First,,,, DO NOT GO ON A DIET!!!!! This is the worst thing one can do, because if you go on one, then you can come off of one, and then you go right back to eating the old way and here come the pounds again. This is a vicious cycle that a lot of people fall into.

There are three basic things that one should realize in order to lose weight.

1. Make a conscious decision to eat right--- for the rest of your life!!!! (Eat a balanced diet-more fruits, vegetables, smaller portions, limit fried foods, etc.) You know the routine.

2. Weigh each and every morning ,before getting dressed,and write it down(yes, the number of pounds, and threaten to kill your husband/boyfriend if he says the first negative word) on a calendar in your bathroom. This way, you will be able to monitor yourself and watch the pounds drop off.

3. Develope an exercise routine, that you will faithfully complete on a weekly basis.

And finally, please DO NOT fall for these fad diets. They can hurt you both physically and mentally, and Lord knows we need all of our mental capacities for "compliance".

Return to Top
#130231 - 11/12/03 04:57 PM Re: Atkins diet
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My husband lost over 20 pounds during the summer. He just cut back on the amount or size of portions that he was eating. Has cut out all soft drinks - we put in a bottled water cooler in our house. He fills an empty bottle partway and then freezes it. He then takes and fills it with water before he leaves the house - stays cold as the frozen water melts. Also, he starting going to the gym. He faithfully now gets up at 5:00 3 mornings a week. He feels so much better. And this is a guy that leaves the house around 7:30 a.m. and we may not see him until 11:30 at night. He's a school teacher! Exercise is the key, I just can't make myself do it!

Return to Top
#130232 - 11/12/03 05:22 PM Re: Atkins diet
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
I have followed a low-carb diet (modified Atkins - I will not give up my coffee!) since January. I have lost 45 lbs. and am closing in on my target weight, although progress has slowed considerably. I weigh in weekly and keep a journal. I have never felt better and am considering it a lifestyle change. I do allow myself guilt-free indulgences once in a while, on holidays and the like. Good luck!

Return to Top
#130233 - 11/12/03 05:41 PM Re: Atkins diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've not tried the Atkins Diet. But recently I have become borderline diabetic and was given a diabetic diet to avoid going on any meds. Because carbs turn to sugar in the body, it is a very low carb diet. I have lost almost 25 pounds since the middle of August. I like it because it doesn't take the carbs away completely but limits them. You can still have the pasta, potatoes, bread etc... but smaller portions. It gives you a very well balanced meal without feeling like your doing without.

If you're interested just ask your doctor for a copy of the diabetic diet. The big plus is I don't have to fix two seperate meals, one for me and one for the family.

Good Luck!!

Return to Top
#130234 - 11/12/03 05:55 PM Re: Atkins diet
DCollins Offline
Platinum Poster
DCollins
I'm pleased to say that I have lost 15 lbs on the Atkins Diet. The weight was slow coming off, but what I noticed the most is a decrease in inches. So make sure you measure yourself before you start the diet. Yes, the first two weeks were the hardest, but after awhile you learn what foods you can eat and what you can't. The Atkins products sold, like the breakfast bars, help me get through those days when there is cake and or desserts in the lunchroom.

Return to Top
#130235 - 11/12/03 06:09 PM Re: Atkins diet
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have tried pretty much every diet out there. From Weight Watchers to all of the "fad diets". Nothing has worked for me. I have gotten to a point where I am at my wit's end and have seriously considered Weight Loss Surgery. But, I decided to join a gym and I can't believe how much better I feel. I am going to work with a trainer on the nutrition aspect and the trainer is going to work out an exercise plan for me so I get the most out of each workout.

Return to Top
#130236 - 11/12/03 06:25 PM Re: Atkins diet
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Congratulations and keep up the good work!! My hat is off to anyone who has the willpower to stick with a good program. So far I am lucky enough not to have to worry about it too much. But as my age increases (I'm 42) I see a definite decrease in my metabolism. I'm afraid my chocolate binges will have to decrease/cease. I just don't know how I'm going to stop.

Return to Top
#130237 - 11/12/03 08:45 PM Re: Atkins diet
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Skittles, let me suggest trying some of the low-carb chocolate snacks. The problem with the Atkins brand stuff is that it's pretty expensive. If you have a Wal-Mart nearby, they usually have a low-carb section with Atkins stuff and some other low-carb snacks. In the Wal-Mart near me, they are near the pharmacy section.

Just to throw in my two cents, I don't think Atkins is a diet as much as it is a lifestyle change program. The idea is to get you to change the way you eat. People go off of diets and gain the weight back because they don't change their lifestyle. Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#130238 - 11/13/03 07:27 PM Re: Atkins diet
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I have a question about the Atkins diet. I don't eat breakfast, I can't eat breakfast... will this diet work if you skip a meal?

Return to Top
#130239 - 11/13/03 07:44 PM Re: Atkins diet
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
it's not that rigid that you can't skip. I carry an Atkin's shake in a can when I can't stop for a regular meal.

Return to Top
#130240 - 11/13/03 07:46 PM Re: Atkins diet
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks Ken. I hate dieting and ordered Trimspa, but I found out it would interfere with my high blood pressure, I returned it. So, while I would like to lose 10 pounds of ugly fat, the top of my head blowing off wasn't exactly what I was looking for...

Return to Top
#130241 - 11/13/03 07:50 PM Re: Atkins diet
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i don't that that would be a good look for you Maria!

Return to Top
#130242 - 11/13/03 09:45 PM Re: Atkins diet
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Maria, if you like eggs and it's just that you don't have time, I bring a couple hard-boiled eggs to work and eat them at my desk (I take the shells off at home). I bring a couple pieces of bacon along, too. It gets old after while, but Atkins says you shouldn't go more than six hours between meals.

Return to Top
#130243 - 11/13/03 10:31 PM Re: Atkins diet
Michelle D Offline
Gold Star
Michelle D
Terminator Country
I tried Atkins and had a really hard time, I'm now doing the South Beach Diet (modified Atkins) and while the first week was really hard (carb withdrawal - I'm a bread addict), it has gotten better and my clothes are fitting better, so I plan to stick with it. - I'm surviving on string cheese for when the cravings get real bad.

This diet is pretty close to the diabetic diet, except that you go starch/sugar cold turkey for the first two weeks. Then you are able to slowly add back in starches and sugars - you can't go back to eating them all of the time, but the book says you can add them back into you diet.

Good Luck to All

Return to Top
#130244 - 11/17/03 11:36 PM Re: Atkins diet
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I am on the end of week one Atkins today and must admit, I'd kill for a cracker but...I'm going to stick to it. It's not too hard, but you really have to vary the meat or it's boring as hell and if I have to face another piece of cheese for breakfast I'll shoot myself! (I had diet jello and whipped cream this morning, which I felt was sort of fruit like). I miss fruit, and did I mention I'd kill for a cracker? I'd just kill for a crack...umm nevermind

If you start let me know and we'll work together. We can have support meetings at the bagel shop......

(I'd sure like a cracker!!!!)

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#130245 - 11/18/03 01:52 PM Re: Atkins diet
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Man Dawnie we've missed you! I started last week too, and i was plotting the demise of just about anybody for a piece of bread! no small cracker... a nice soft piece of bread!! if i survive this,it better be worth it!

Return to Top
#130246 - 11/18/03 02:01 PM Re: Atkins diet
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I am on the end of week one Atkins today and must admit,

So tell me Dawnie, can wine and martinis be consumed on this diet??

Return to Top
#130247 - 11/18/03 03:24 PM Re: Atkins diet
Compliance Buzz Offline
Gold Star
NJ
In the Atkinsesque way, I opted for South Beach too. There was much more of a food variety for the first 2 weeks and the emphasis was on lower saturated fats. To put it bluntly, I am a die-hard sugar freakazoid.

Two months ago I kicked my 8-10 can a day Pepsi habit, 49 days ago I quit smoking and three weeks ago I cut out refined sugars and caffeine. I am now writing to you all from the inside of a insane asylum. The doctors say that as soon as my left eye stops twitching I can go home.

Seriously, though - it was/is HARD. I'm changing years and years of awful eating habits, but I've never physically felt better in my life. (My mental status is a whole other issue). I've decided that as long as I can just limit my "bad" carbs and seriously limit my candy/cake/cookie intake, I'm making better health decisions. The weight is really coming off this last month.

Return to Top
#130248 - 11/18/03 04:10 PM Re: Atkins diet
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I just heard something interesting on the news. The breadmakers are worried. With everyone on the Atkins diet, no one is buying bread!

Return to Top
#130249 - 11/18/03 04:19 PM Re: Atkins diet
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Quote:

Skittles, let me suggest trying some of the low-carb chocolate snacks.

Beware... if you have a sensitive stomach... eat with caution. The package will warn you of a laxative effect. It is true.

They are tasty... but at a price.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
#130250 - 11/18/03 04:24 PM Re: Atkins diet
Patsy Cline Offline
Diamond Poster
Patsy Cline
On the road...
Quote:

I've decided that as long as I can just limit my "bad" carbs and seriously limit my candy/cake/cookie intake, I'm making better health decisions. The weight is really coming off this last month.

How do you do this and work in compliance? Ha I am such a sress eater... candy is all of my basic food groups. You so right on the money though. I feed my 2 year old son based on the food pyramid. Why can't I do that for myself?

I've done Atkins too. I am able to lose the weight and feel good. I too found out that in order for Atkins to work for me I had to reduce my caffeine intake. I usually will have one cup of regular and then decaf if needed.

"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" ~ unknown

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2