Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#144113 - 12/29/03 08:41 PM Video Recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

We're going to settle in over New Year's and be total couch potatoes.

I would love to hear any recommendations for videos we should rent. We like action/adventure and comedies. Nothing serious, please.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#144114 - 12/29/03 08:43 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I'm still waiting for my family to give me the Lethal Weapon series. It has action and comedy. Plus, Mel Gibson isn't bad either.

Return to Top
#144115 - 12/29/03 08:43 PM Re: Video Recommendations
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I bought my husband Bruce Almighty for Xmas (Jim Carey). It was cute and laughed out loud a few times. Also saw 2-weeks notice a couple of weeks ago. My husband called it a chick flick but it was good.

Return to Top
#144116 - 12/29/03 08:45 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I watched 'Pirates of the Carribbean' over the weekend and liked it. Also, 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' was good, too.

Return to Top
#144117 - 12/29/03 08:45 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Most of the good ones are chick flicks. However, my daughter put in "Maid in Manhatten" last night and I kept catching my husband watching it. "A Walk to Remember" is good even if it is a teen film. "Miss Congeniality" is hilarious. "The Wedding Planner" is good too.

Return to Top
#144118 - 12/29/03 08:48 PM Re: Video Recommendations
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Quote:

Most of the good ones are chick flicks. However, my daughter put in "Maid in Manhatten" last night and I kept catching my husband watching it. "A Walk to Remember" is good even if it is a teen film. "Miss Congeniality" is hilarious. "The Wedding Planner" is good too.

I loved Miss Congeniality. For a "dumb" flick, Saving Silverman and What about Mary I could watch over and over.

Return to Top
#144119 - 12/29/03 08:53 PM Re: Video Recommendations
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
'Pirates of the Carribbean' I can't seem to get enough of this movie. (did you know that he patterned Jack Sparrow after Keith Richards? My neice told me that and it really makes sense when you watch the swagger!)

The 'Blue Collar Comedy Tour' is good for a laugh or two.

Return to Top
#144120 - 12/29/03 08:57 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I love answering people's questions about movies!!!
What kind of comedies do you like? Dark comedies? (Death to Smoochie is really good one) Light-hearted or family comedies? Down-right dirty comedies?
But if you like action/adventure stuff, and it is New Years, why don't you just watch all of the Indiana Jones Trilogy?

Return to Top
#144121 - 12/29/03 08:57 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
OHG, the "Blue Collar Comedy Tour" has played at our house probably a dozen time this last month! They just keep repeating lines over and over. My husband has already warned our 15-year old that he now knows what to tell those boys when they start coming around the house! Ha! (For those of you who don't know what that means, you will just have to get the movie and watch it!) The best part is at the end when they are all together! What a hoot!

Return to Top
#144122 - 12/29/03 09:01 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Just watched Seabiscut over the weekend. I highly recommend it. It is alittle long, but a great story.

Return to Top
#144123 - 12/29/03 09:11 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Rookie with Dennis Quaid
Barbershop

Return to Top
#144124 - 12/29/03 09:13 PM Re: Video Recommendations
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
OMG - Did you say "A laugh or two" ! It was hilarious! Surely you laughed more than that. But, since I am surrounded by Red Necks, I could relate to a lot of the humor!

I have been trying to buy a copy for my father and everyone is sold out. I have sucessfully struck out on almost every gift I wanted to buy. The hot items seemed to have been XM radio, Alltel Camera phones, and the Blue Collar Comedy DVD's...

I would recommend, Blue Collar Comedy for a laugh - It's funny, I don't care who you are... (That's another inside joke) I would also recommend "We Were Soldiers" or "Windtalkers" for action/drama. Also, depending on how much time you want to spend watching movies, "Band of Brothers" is great! But, it is a series of several chapters.

I have heard that "Seabiscuit" is also really good - but I haven't seen it yet.

Return to Top
#144125 - 12/29/03 09:13 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
"What Women Want" is another good one! (Can you tell I like Mel Gibson????)

Return to Top
#144126 - 12/29/03 09:15 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

I don't care who you are...

...that's funny right there!

Return to Top
#144127 - 12/29/03 09:18 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

I have been trying to buy a copy for my father and everyone is sold out.

I was able to get 2 copies since Thanksgiving. I just had to keep checking Wal-Mart's shelves each time I was out there and finally got two. It's the hottest item around!

Return to Top
#144128 - 12/29/03 09:23 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Runin' Reb Offline
100 Club
Runin' Reb
West Coast
If your interested in catching a new flick this week, I'd recommend "cheaper by the dozen" with Steve Martin...

Great stuff for the whole family...!!! Very good Movie....also

Ben "AFLAC" did a pretty good job in "paycheck"...(Why does he always remind me of that stupid duck?)

Return to Top
#144129 - 12/29/03 09:30 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Georgia Golfer Offline
Gold Star
Georgia Golfer
1st Tee
Blue Collar Comedy Tour is a must. Ron White is the funniest of all of them. "I didn't know how many it would take to kick my (bleep), but I knew how many were going to try. And that's helpful information to have"!! Roll off the couch funny. I also though Bad Boys 2 was good for a combo of laugh/action. What about the latest American Pie, any reviews?

Return to Top
#144130 - 12/29/03 09:33 PM Re: Video Recommendations
obx nut Offline
Gold Star
obx nut
Midwest
"Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase always makes me laugh.

Return to Top
#144131 - 12/29/03 09:36 PM Re: Video Recommendations
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
What is Blue Collar Comedy DVD, I've never heard of it. Is it stand up comedy?

Return to Top
#144132 - 12/29/03 09:36 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

"Christmas Vacation" with Chevy Chase always makes me laugh.

An absolute classic!!!!

Return to Top
#144133 - 12/29/03 09:38 PM Re: Video Recommendations
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

OMG - Did you say "A laugh or two" ! It was hilarious! Surely you laughed more than that. It's funny, I don't care who you are...

I love that line!

Yeah, I got waaaaay more than a laugh or two, not really sure why I used that expression.

Return to Top
#144134 - 12/29/03 09:41 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Bartman Offline
Diamond Poster
Bartman
Springfield
Quote:

What is Blue Collar Comedy DVD, I've never heard of it. Is it stand up comedy?

Yes - four southern-type comedians doing standup in a live concert format. Jeff Foxworthy is the one with the most name recognition. This has been broadcast on Comedy Central off & on over the last several weeks, and it's definitely as funny as mentioned above.

Return to Top
#144135 - 12/29/03 09:49 PM Re: Video Recommendations
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Thanks, I'll have to check it out!

Return to Top
#144136 - 12/29/03 09:56 PM Re: Video Recommendations
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
True Story....We purchased and viewed..and viewed...and viewed.. the Blue Collar Comedy Tour DVD. My 12 yr old daughter watched it with us and laughed when we did even though she didn't get most of the punch lines. She did however, understand "You might be a redneck if you've had your nipple bitten off by a beaver" (again, you had to see it!) Well, she got a Karaoke machine for Christmas. So, while trying to emulate the comedy for her friend she said that into her microphone...Her friend, of course didn't get it. So she commenced to tell her all about it and while explaining she said....."Larry the Camel Toe Guy" told this joke.... ...Needless to say her father and I, while rolling with laughter ourselves, quickly jumped in and explained the real story! I then had to explain to her that it was "Larry the Cable Guy" and then I had to attempt an explanation of "Camel Toe". I'm still not sure where she picked that up!

Return to Top
#144137 - 12/29/03 09:56 PM Re: Video Recommendations
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
My husband and daughter just love the line, "I had the right to remain silent...but I didn't have the ability!"

I liked Bill Engvall and Jeff Foxworthy. They have so much family stories that you can relate to. My husband had a CD of Larry the Cable Guy, and there were parts of it that I cringed on. He's gets a little - out there - if you know what I mean. But seeing him...he is a scream!!! Ron White has great timing for his stories. Loved the Spa (Spay) bit. For those who saw it on Comedy Central - they only showed parts of the whole show. You really need to get the DVD.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2