BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#200880 - 06/16/04 07:00 PM Basic Rules for Driving
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstances should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled by somebody else putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. Crossing two or more lanes in a single lane change is considered going with the flow.

4. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

5. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will inevitably result in you being rear-ended. If you want your insurance company to pay for a new rear bumper, come to a complete stop at all stop signs.

6. A right lane construction closure is just a game to see how many people can cut in line by passing you on the right, as you sit in the left lane waiting for the same jerks to squeeze their way back in before hitting the orange construction barrels.

7. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, its a chance to stretch your legs.

8. Never pass on the left when you can pass on the right. Its a good way to scare people entering the highway.

9. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable during rush hour.

10. Just because youre in the left lane and have no room to speed up or move over, doesnt mean that a driver flashing his high beams behind you doesnt think he can go faster in your spot.

11. It is traditional to honk your horn at cars that dont move the instant the light changes.

12. Remember that the goal of every driver is to get there first, by whatever means necessary.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#200881 - 06/16/04 07:10 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
That pretty much sums up this town. I'm safer driving in large cities than I am here.

Return to Top
#200882 - 06/16/04 07:33 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
OMG! My fiance went to that driving school!

Return to Top
#200883 - 06/16/04 07:35 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

11. It is traditional to honk your horn at cars that dont move the instant the light changes.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who honk at me to move while there is skill a vehicle in the intersection making a turn.

Return to Top
#200884 - 06/16/04 07:39 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Please don't show this to my son. He just got his first speeding ticket and I'm not very happy about that.

BTW - not to insult anyone - this is how they drive where my husband lives.

Return to Top
#200885 - 06/16/04 07:43 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

I assume that driving school is in New Jersey.

Return to Top
#200886 - 06/16/04 07:46 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
AnnL Offline
Gold Star
AnnL
Western PA
Hey my husband has been driving correctly all these years and I didn't know it!!!!

Return to Top
#200887 - 06/16/04 07:50 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

I assume that driving school is in New Jersey.

Yeah, well, from what I see on the turnpike, the driving school must have been in Pennsylvania!

Return to Top
#200888 - 06/16/04 08:15 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Quote:

9. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as suggestions and are apparently not enforceable during rush hour.

Well, around here there's no need to enforce speed limits during "commute" (much longer than a rush "hour"), since nobody can even go anywhere close to the speed limit due to the amount of traffic on the freeways.

Return to Top
#200889 - 06/16/04 09:42 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
They forgot to teach the proper use of acceleration and deacceleration lanes. Always start to slow down 1/4 of a mile before you get to the deacceleration lane, making sure you slow down all the traffic behind you. After all, you wouldn't want to enter the off ramp to quickly.

Just the opposite for the acceleration lane, never use it to get your speed up to that of the traffic flow. Just putt up the ramp and come to a complete stop if you don't feel like merging at the moment. Or go a head an merge but don't worry about speeding up, surely those cars driving the "speed limit" will be able to slow down or change lanes for you.

Can you tell what one of my pet peeves is (or two if you are counting them separately)

Return to Top
#200890 - 06/16/04 10:05 PM Re: Basic Rules for Driving
Shocker Offline
Shocker
Kansas
That sounds an awful lot like the lecture that my driver's ed teacher gave my class my freshmen year. That might explain why me insurance is so high now. They must have found out that I took the class!

Return to Top