BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#210431 - 07/13/04 05:05 PM Floods in the Northeast
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I've just been reading about the floods in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc. Is everyone OK?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#210432 - 07/13/04 05:13 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

I've just been reading about the floods in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, etc. Is everyone OK?

blub...bluubbb....bllluuuubbbb...

Return to Top
#210433 - 07/13/04 05:20 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Never been better, now that I have a beachfront home!

Seriously, as ugly as the rain was yesterday, it doesn't look too bad here. I understand the flooding was alot worse on Maria's side of the Delaware.

Return to Top
#210434 - 07/13/04 05:25 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
blub...bluubbb....bllluuuubbbb...

Hundreds Flee Flooding in Northeast
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: July 13, 2004

A foot or more of rain fell in parts of the Northeast, forcing hundreds of people from their homes during the night, rupturing small dams and flooding roads. No injuries had been reported in the stricken areas of New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland.

South-central New Jersey was hardest hit with at least five small dams rupturing during the night, said Kevin Tuno, the Burlington County emergency management coordinator. Many of the dams in the area hold small reservoirs in low-lying residential areas.

``We have a lot of houses and vehicles that were damaged,'' Tuno said Tuesday.

The heaviest rainfall in Burlington County was 13.2 inches at Tabernacle, the National Weather Service said. Gov. James E. McGreevey said Tuesday he plans to declare a state of emergency for the county.

More than 500 county residents were evacuated from their homes and from the roofs of cars stalled on flooded roads from late Monday into early Tuesday, and officials said 250 people still couldn't return home by late Tuesday morning.

``First they started with one family and then another family and then it rapidly escalated,'' Tuno said of the evacuations.

Tammy Spiese was trying to clear debris on her property near Reading, Pa., when rising water carried her into a drainage pipe. She had to be pulled out by her husband and a police officer.

``I was in the water up to my neck,'' Spiese said. ``It was very powerful and I had to hold onto the rocks above.''

Parts of northeastern Maryland got up to 8 inches of rain that flooded streets and basements Monday, and some motorists had to be rescued when their cars stalled in deep water, officials said.

Most of the water had subsided by Tuesday morning and major roads were reopened, said Harford County official Ernie Crist. However, more than two dozen roads remained closed Tuesday in Cecil County, said Frank Muller, director of the county's department of emergency services.

Amtrak canceled three trains and reported many delays on other passenger trains between Washington and Philadelphia throughout the day Monday. Poor visibility and water flowing over the tracks forced trains to slow to just 2 mph, or walking speed, at many locations, spokesman Daniel Stessel said.

Amtrak's worst problems were in southeastern Pennsylvania at Marcus Hook and Levittown, where trains had to be halted because of signal problems caused by fallen trees, Stessel said.

An estimated 6 inches of rain fell in eastern Pennsylvania's Berks County, where firefighters used a boat to rescue three people and a dog trapped in two homes by Manatawny Creek, which rose about 4 feet in minutes.

Water and mud rushed into a bowling alley Monday at Pottsville in eastern Pennsylvania after a sodden embankment behind the building collapsed, and custodian John Bova and his wife hurried to open doors to let the flood out. Then they shut off the electricity and fled, he said.

``The mountain just came down,'' Bova said. ``We were lucky to get out.''

Return to Top
#210435 - 07/13/04 07:51 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Didn't you northeasterner's hog all the snow last winter too???? You can keep all your rain...but...send some extra snow our way this winter...wanna snowmobile!!!! vrooooommmm

Seriously, you can't control the weather...can you???

Return to Top
#210436 - 07/13/04 07:54 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
Where's Diver Dan when you need him..........?

Return to Top
#210437 - 07/14/04 12:03 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Didn't you northeasterner's hog all the snow last winter too???? You can keep all your rain...but...send some extra snow our way this winter...wanna snowmobile!!!! vrooooommmm

Seriously, you can't control the weather...can you???

muhahhahhaha...

Return to Top
#210438 - 07/14/04 12:04 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Actually, we are due for some more thunderstorms today. Keep a prayer going for the floodees. (I hope their bank made them get flood insurance...).

Return to Top
#210439 - 07/14/04 12:05 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My first thoughts, too, Little Devil.

Return to Top
#210440 - 07/14/04 12:43 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Indicator that I need to find a new line of work: My first reaction to news coverage of the flooding was "I have to check tomorrow and see how many loans we have in that area."

Return to Top
#210441 - 07/14/04 01:12 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Heart-felt thoughts and prayers for all who are suffering from the flooding. We just had hurricane force winds plow through our area last night and we have close to 115,000 people without power. Fortunately, there were not many injuries due to the storms.

Return to Top
#210442 - 07/14/04 01:18 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
actually, Louisville has close to 95,000 out and like 150,000 around the rest of the state, my poor husband works for LGE/KU it's gonna be a busy day!

Return to Top
#210443 - 07/14/04 01:18 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Anonymous
Unregistered

We can gripe and grumble about everything but the good Lord always has a way of letting us know who is in charge. My prayers are with everyone...

Return to Top
#210444 - 07/14/04 01:32 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
skye2477...I hope you get to see your husband in the next couple of days! My area was one of the hardest hit and I have a 7 week old at home too! My wife packed up around 1:30 this morning and headed to her parents because they are our only family that has power right now.

Return to Top
#210445 - 07/14/04 01:43 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thoughts and power for you poor Kentuckians!

Return to Top
#210446 - 07/14/04 01:51 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
well during the ice storm of last year it was awful, we had no power, he was working 15 hr shifts and we couldn't get a hotel or anything so we were stuck in our 40 degree house. i don't think i'll ever think of winter the same... But hey it's nothing compared to the deluge up north... man that looked dreadful, but at least no one was hurt!!!

Return to Top
#210447 - 07/14/04 01:52 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
23,000 without power on the Indiana side of the Ohio River. This was mega bad!

Return to Top
#210448 - 07/14/04 01:58 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
I remember our little hurricane about 1-1/2 yrs. ago.... The water was terrible....and to be without electricity ....I was so-o-o-o-o hot.......

Pappa Bear said that if we ever have a depression....I'll be the first to die.....He thinks I am much too spoiled .......(He reminds me of my parents )

Return to Top
#210449 - 07/14/04 02:52 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Skittles, I just listened to the Mayor of Louisville's press conference and LG & E has indicated there are still 75,000 without power and it would be later into the weekend or the first part of next week before they can get all the power back on...I just went to the grocery too!

Return to Top
#210450 - 07/14/04 03:21 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I feel for you. How are you all going to take care of your little girl?

Return to Top
#210451 - 07/14/04 04:36 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
My wife and her transplanted themselves to the in-laws around 2:00 this morning. I just got back from our house and still no power...it really stinks! I will probably stay at home as long as it doesn't get too hot!!

Return to Top
#210452 - 07/14/04 05:24 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
clean out the fridge and wash with bleach as soon as possible!!!!! it'll suck to loose all the food (been there done that) but it wil be ready for when it comes back on. Louisville is the oddest thing when it comes to outages. we joke if some one sneezes 50,000 loose power for a week. we have some around here, not bad though. Hubby's on a 12 hr shift today though!

Return to Top
#210453 - 07/14/04 05:31 PM Re: Floods in the Northeast
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Only 12 hrs....I feel for you guys. I will be spending my evening cleaning the fridge. Looks like it's take out again tonight....

Return to Top