BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#247672 - 09/22/04 04:37 PM Halloween
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
Our Bank has a contest every year between the branches for Halloween. Each branch picks a theme and decorates. We have chosen a hippy theme. We actually convinced our Sr. VP to wear an afro wig! Since I am the planning person, and was only alive for 5 months in the 70's, I am kind of having a hard time coming up with decor that is not drug or politically driven. Of course we have the flower power, and peace signs and smiley faces, and my husband is going to do a huge cutout of a VW bug. I got a Ouiji board, a couple lava lamps, and some old vinyl records. Can you guys think of anything else I should add? Thanks!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#247673 - 09/22/04 04:43 PM Re: Halloween
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
blacklights, man, blacklights...old rock posters, concert promotions, etc,

Return to Top
#247674 - 09/22/04 05:01 PM Re: Halloween
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Do you ever watch That 70's Show? It might give you some ideas...

Return to Top
#247675 - 09/22/04 05:32 PM Re: Halloween
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
Anything from "KISS" and bell bottoms

Return to Top
#247676 - 09/22/04 05:51 PM Re: Halloween
Anonymous
Unregistered

A disco ball, strobe lights, and platform shoes.

Return to Top
#247677 - 09/22/04 06:50 PM Re: Halloween
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
suede and fringe/ beads/ Laugh in

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#247678 - 09/22/04 07:55 PM Re: Halloween
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Quote:

Since I am the planning person, and was only alive for 5 months in the 70's, I am kind of having a hard time coming up with decor that is not drug or politically driven. Of course we have the flower power, and peace signs...

As one who lived the 70's, if you have "flower power" and "peace signs" you already have a drug and political theme!

Return to Top
#247679 - 09/22/04 09:01 PM Re: Halloween
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Tye-Dyed T-shirts and lots of hanging strands of beads. Incense sticks and fringed leather belts or vests. Low cut Bell bottomed jeans.....Oh the 70's I miss them.

Return to Top
#247680 - 09/22/04 09:03 PM Re: Halloween
Gigi2Three Offline
Gold Star
Gigi2Three
Don't forget to play '70s music

Return to Top
#247681 - 09/22/04 10:33 PM Re: Halloween
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
Quote:

As one who lived the 70's, if you have "flower power" and "peace signs" you already have a drug and political theme!

I realize that, but I meant no bongs or weed sitting out, and trying to stay away from "No War." I hadn't thought of peace signs as being offensive, I'll have to ask around here what they think, We want to try to not offend anyone.

I am very excited I went on Ebay and found some concert promo ads for cheap! Thanks!

Return to Top
#247682 - 09/22/04 11:37 PM Re: Halloween
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Our Bank has a contest every year between the branches for Halloween. Each branch picks a theme and decorates. We have chosen a hippy theme. We actually convinced our Sr. VP to wear an afro wig! Since I am the planning person, and was only alive for 5 months in the 70's, I am kind of having a hard time coming up with decor that is not drug or politically driven. Of course we have the flower power, and peace signs and smiley faces, and my husband is going to do a huge cutout of a VW bug. I got a Ouiji board, a couple lava lamps, and some old vinyl records. Can you guys think of anything else I should add? Thanks!

Bean bag chairs, white lipstick, leave the bras at home, halter tops, furry vests, lots of Led Zepplin and The Who, rally fat belts with fringe to wear with the low rise bell bottoms (which are both back in style) and see if someone has a really fine '67 or '68 convertable mustang or camaro....

Return to Top
#247683 - 09/23/04 08:15 PM Re: Halloween
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I hadn't thought of peace signs as being offensive, I'll have to ask around here

Am I the only one who finds this statement somewhat tragic?

Warning: The following link is political in nature.

Poisoned Patriotism'

Return to Top
#247684 - 09/23/04 08:23 PM Re: Halloween
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

hadn't thought of peace signs as being offensive

yes, those of us who can't afford the Mercedes are offended...LOL

Return to Top
#247685 - 09/24/04 12:48 AM Re: Halloween
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
While many love children embraced the drugs and the peace signs, don't let that make you leave them out. They're such a symbol of the 70's! Immediate identification.

That and the leather fringe! Long straight hair, parted in the middle! no bangs

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#247686 - 09/28/04 05:32 PM Re: Halloween
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
Thanks guys. I am having a lot of fun planning this, Thank you for your ideas. More ideas are always welcome!!

Return to Top
#247687 - 09/30/04 05:12 PM Re: Halloween
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Ok, I'm hijacking this thread. Sorry, but I can't decided on what to be for halloween. I'm going to a party with a group of people, so ofcourse we want a theme. We can'd decide between Jay and Silent Bob (I have a great coat for Bob), or the simpson's characters. Jay and Silent Bob would be more homemade, and the Simpson's stuff would probably be bought. Any thoughts? (and more than likely, I would not dress up for work)

Return to Top
#247688 - 09/30/04 05:35 PM Re: Halloween
MelissaAnn Offline
Platinum Poster
MelissaAnn
Washington State
I would say since it is a group you should do Simpsons. Gives more options and you can be more creative.

Return to Top
#247689 - 09/30/04 06:11 PM Re: Halloween
shorty Offline
100 Club
shorty
Quote:

Ok, I'm hijacking this thread. Sorry, but I can't decided on what to be for halloween. I'm going to a party with a group of people, so ofcourse we want a theme. We can'd decide between Jay and Silent Bob (I have a great coat for Bob), or the simpson's characters. Jay and Silent Bob would be more homemade, and the Simpson's stuff would probably be bought. Any thoughts? (and more than likely, I would not dress up for work)

How many in the group? We have done various group themes...101 Dalmations was the best. Cruella was awesome and the rest of us just wore white with felt dots. We've also done "Vegas" theme...we had dice, Elvis, The Blue Men, Show Girl and of course it was last year so had some pretty funny Sigfried and Roy costumes; Once did the Munsters and Gilligans Island is always good

Return to Top
#247690 - 09/30/04 06:16 PM Re: Halloween
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

How many in the group? We have done various group themes...101 Dalmations was the best. Cruella was awesome and the rest of us just wore white with felt dots. We've also done "Vegas" theme...we had dice, Elvis, The Blue Men, Show Girl and of course it was last year so had some pretty funny Sigfried and Roy costumes; Once did the Munsters and Gilligans Island is always good

The most fun I ever had in college was at a Halloween party where we all dressed up in a Vegas theme.

Return to Top
#247691 - 09/30/04 06:19 PM Re: Halloween
shorty Offline
100 Club
shorty
Yea, we had one person that wanted to come dressed up like a night stand, with an ashtray, alarm clock and an empty condom wrapper glued to a table top (made out of cardboard), and a lamp shade on her head,....she said she was going to be the Vegas one night stand. Luckily, we convinced her that was not appropriate for the office!

Return to Top
#247692 - 09/30/04 08:42 PM Re: Halloween
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
My husband and a group of friends dressed up as green army men one year. They bought clear plastic masks and then painted them green so all their faces looked the same. They painted their necks and hands green too. Then they attached pieces of cut out cardboard to the bottom of their boots (for the plastic stand they're on). They had one guy with a bayonette, one with binoculars, one with a grenade, one that would lay on the ground, etc. Then they would go running/marching into each bar and by the time they got all the way in, people were cheering. They won first prize in three different contests.

Return to Top
#247693 - 10/01/04 08:48 PM Re: Halloween
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Quote:

Thanks guys. I am having a lot of fun planning this, Thank you for your ideas. More ideas are always welcome!!

I think of Disco more than anything else in the 70s. Watch Saturday Night Fever and you will get some ideas. Have anyone that can dress up like John Travolta and do "the walk"?

Return to Top