Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#445687 - 10/22/05 03:28 AM did you want to be a banker?
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
Did you want to become a banker, or did you just fall into it? Do you have a banking-related degree or something non-related?

What would you do if you could do it over again?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#445688 - 10/22/05 12:34 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
No never- just happened-
I'd be a physical therapist.

Return to Top
#445689 - 10/22/05 01:33 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
Heck no. If I could do it all over again, I'd be a photographer or something in the forensics field.
This has to be about as boring as it could get.

Return to Top
#445690 - 10/22/05 01:37 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No. I was looking for a job and filling out applications everywhere and the bank was the first one to call me back and hire me. I've been in banking 6 years now.

If I could do it all over again, I will be a screenwriter and movie director. Which, I have been doing in my spare time and plan to film in the spring.

Who wants to work a 9-5 job all their life?

Return to Top
#445691 - 10/22/05 02:07 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
I was working at a Dairy Queen and a woman that came thru the drive thru all of the time approached me and told me about a teller position that had come open, she said I was the first one to come to her mind seeing how I was such an efficient and courteous person.
At the time I thought working in a bank was a very high position....boy was I wrong. Just kinda worked my way up thru loan dept, admin asst, to loan officer now compliance officer.
If I could go back yeah I would choose something different, but this is the path that life put me on...

Return to Top
#445692 - 10/22/05 06:21 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Mystified Offline
New Poster
Tulsa, OK
Are you kidding? Isn't banking the most exciting career of the century! (JK) I started working in banking to put myself through college. By the time I graduated I made to much money to start all over in my chosen field. So now thats my hobby. Its not all bad. Btw, I have a Phd in Cultural Anthropology. The fields are similar... LMAO!!!

Return to Top
#445693 - 10/22/05 07:28 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
flaire Offline
100 Club
flaire
sw us
I was doomed from the start. Both of my parents were bankers, so I guess it was genetic. When I was about seven I told my parents that the only kind of banker I would ever be was a sperm banker !

I won a scholarship at my mom's bank which included a teller position during the summer. I quit college for a while and that was the only experience I had, so I went with it. I've been at it for 20 years now. Moved from the teller line to accounting to deposit operations to loan operations to IT Security & Privacy to Compliance.

I got my degree in English working full time and doing part-time school. But if I had to do it all over again I would be an Interior Designer. Something I could be creative in - and make more money at!

Return to Top
#445694 - 10/24/05 12:30 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I never planned to be in banking - it just happened. My undergrad degrees are in Political Science and Russian Language. I thought I'd end up in the Foreign Service or at least a CIA covert operative conducting super secret missions!

Banking has been good to me, so I can't complain. I would have gotten my law degree even if I wasn't in banking, but it certainly helps.

For the future, who knows? I'd love to have my own travel show on PBS so I can travel the world, meet lots of people, take pictures, and have someone else pay for it.

I've also thought about teaching or politics someday.

Return to Top
#445695 - 10/24/05 12:43 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
It is one of the better paying jobs for college students, better than working at Best Buy, or having to waitress, i will be going to school in Jan for fashion design!!!yea, but if i really want a "safe" job i would be a dental hygeniest.

Return to Top
#445696 - 10/24/05 12:47 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

No.
But, I do remember that I'm fortunate to be working.
It would be grand to have a job or career that one loves, but to have a job....I won't complain. Unless you really want me to.

Return to Top
#445697 - 10/24/05 01:12 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Flower Child Offline
100 Club
Flower Child
I was interested in HR during college and I was working at a bank during the summers. The bank offered me an HR position and here I am...

Return to Top
#445698 - 10/24/05 01:22 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like Flaire, banking is in my blood. I started in finance when I was 19 and have been in it ever since. I like my job and find it challenging at times, but I will be going back to school when my husband is done. I have a degree in business management, but will go back for psychology.

Return to Top
#445699 - 10/24/05 01:33 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I finished my Masters degree in 1991 when we were in the midst of a recession. I wanted to get my PhD and teach at the college level, but I did my Masters in 11 months and was burnt out and wanted to work for a while. I fell into banking and have never left. I have a BA and an MA in speech communications and teach basic public speaking at the University of Akron in the evening, so I am still using my degree.

Return to Top
#445700 - 10/24/05 02:47 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Not really. It started out as just your ordinary I-need-the-money-job. 1 credit union and 2 banks later, I've been in banking for almost 10 years now. I started as a teller and worked all the way up to risk management. I would really like to open my own business. Less stress.

Return to Top
#445701 - 10/24/05 03:06 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I would really like to open my own business. Less stress.

You're kidding, right? BFS is terribly stressful, especially in the first couple years. What kind of business would you start?

Return to Top
#445702 - 10/24/05 03:11 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Piano Man Offline
Gold Star
Piano Man
Down South
I started to just get a business degree, but I ended up with a Church Music Degree. As one of my professors put it, "you need to change your major, you have to eat." Banking just kinda happened. Started out as a teller during summers, then landed in Bookkeeping. Compliance Officer came about 2 years later.

Return to Top
#445703 - 10/24/05 03:49 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Quote:

Quote:

I would really like to open my own business. Less stress.

You're kidding, right? BFS is terribly stressful, especially in the first couple years. What kind of business would you start?

You would have to understand the type of management people that I work with. They are not your average Joe and this particular FI is not your average FI. Its a very looong story that I would waste too much time typing b/c it would be so long you wouldnt want to read it.

I would like to open either a small antique shop or a gift shop. Small and simple. Nothing too big.

Return to Top
#445704 - 10/24/05 04:02 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I may open a law firm or consulting agency in a few years...I've been thinking about it a while now!

Return to Top
#445705 - 10/24/05 04:09 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

I may open a law firm or consulting agency in a few years...I've been thinking about it a while now!

i would open a tanning place, something like Seventeen spa and salon...do any of you have these in your cities

Return to Top
#445706 - 10/24/05 04:12 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
never heard of it...what's it like?

Return to Top
#445707 - 10/24/05 04:13 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
file queen Offline
Gold Star
file queen
Nevada
I always wanted to be a superhero or a fairy princess...
Banking is the next best thing, right?

Return to Top
#445708 - 10/24/05 04:13 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Do you remember the McDonalds "When I grow Up" ads that aired during Saturday morning cartoons. I always thought it would be funny if the song played "When I grow Up" then some kid would sing, "I want to be a hit man".

Return to Top
#445709 - 10/24/05 04:18 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
My true dream was/is to be in the music biz, not singing and performing because I can not carry a tune in a bucket but more along the lines of management or promotional. LOL I think I may have been a groupie in my former life...

Return to Top
#445710 - 10/24/05 04:22 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
I like the Toys R Us song: I dont wanna grow up, I'm a toys r us kid, theres a lot of things that I can play with.....

Return to Top
#445711 - 10/24/05 04:30 PM Re: did you want to be a banker?
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Quote:

never heard of it...what's it like?

well the mag Seventeen opened a "salon" i went here for prom, the do your hair(so they have makeup artists) they have a mani/pedi room, and you can get your hair done bu hair products,makeup, and all kinds of stuff and while your waiting they bring you drinks for free non-alcholic though you should check the website, they have these "party" packages that you can get i think its Seventeen.com not sure try googleing it

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3