Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#460140 - 11/21/05 11:29 PM JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I am currently going to college and working part time here at my teller banking job. I would like to contiune working in the banking business but I am not sure what department to go into or what degree i should major in. Can anyone help?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#460141 - 11/21/05 11:38 PM Re: JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Find a job in an income-producing department. Those jobs tend to be a little more stable.

Return to Top
#460142 - 11/22/05 12:03 AM Re: JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

What do you want and where do your interests lean? Are you person who likes to interact with people, or do you prefer to be behind the scenes? Are you interested in a job where you stay in the office all day, or would you like to get out on the street? Do you want to work for a small bank, a large bank, or a bank that's somewhere inbetween? Have you declared your major yet?

Return to Top
#460143 - 11/22/05 12:58 AM Re: JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Get a business-related degree and find your way into lending or credit. You can always branch out from there and you will be rewarded for your hard work. Unfortunately, a "compliance culture" is little more than a buzz word in today's financial institutions despite what many say.

Return to Top
#460144 - 11/22/05 12:45 PM Re: JOBS?????
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
"Compliance culture" is a buzz word. This is why BSA officers are earning top dollars in FL and de novo banks MUST have one, approved by the state, SOX has increased the demand for compliance, etc. Compliance is here to stay. It isn't a buzz word.

That said, a middle of the road degree that can be used in many areas of a bank or other industries would provide more flexibility.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#460145 - 11/22/05 05:42 PM Re: JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try telling that to existing management, Andy. I have no doubt that it is going this way but the reality is that this is not the norm in my experience.

Return to Top
#460146 - 11/22/05 07:54 PM Re: JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Find a job outside of banking. Your bank will be bought out, it's just a matter of time these days.

Return to Top
#460147 - 11/22/05 07:59 PM Re: JOBS?????
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Find a job outside of banking. Your bank will be bought out, it's just a matter of time these days.

actually that is a good point. go to law school and work for a M&A practice. i heard really cool people do that.

Return to Top
#460148 - 11/23/05 05:07 PM Re: JOBS?????
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
If you major in accounting, you can go into banking or any other kind of business. Same with human reseources. Those types of majors can be adapted to many different kinds of businesses. Finance and economics may sound like banking majors, but I believe can be adapted to other businesses as well.

I majored in accounting, never planned to go into banking, it just happened and I liked it and they trained me. I evolved from safety and soundness, to IT, to compliance.

Are you good with computers? There is always a need for programmers and network administrators.

Return to Top
#460149 - 11/23/05 05:28 PM Re: JOBS?????
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Try telling that to existing management, Andy. I have no doubt that it is going this way but the reality is that this is not the norm in my experience.

I don't doubt it's norm in your experience, but your experience may not reflect the overall norm. I've been in this field for a long time, and in my experience, the attention paid to compliance by senior bank management is far and away above what it was even four years ago. (And compared to 10 to 15 years ago, we've moved from a horse and buggy to a space shuttle.)

Now, if you're talking about our typical mortgage or commercial loan officer on the street, I agree, compliance may not be a very high priority.

But times, they are a changin'. Slowly, but surely.

Return to Top