Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#470835 - 12/15/05 07:10 PM The Sham Election in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Was hailed today by that pro-American propaganda organization known as the United Nations. (Link)

An excerpt:

Quote:

Baghdad - Elections for Iraq's first full-term parliament since the fall of Saddam Hussein appear to have been successful, the UN envoy to Iraq said on Thursday. "Anecdotal evidence shows that there has been a good turnout, that it was inclusive and that security was well maintained," Ashraf Qazi told Reuters just before most polling stations closed at 5pm (14h00 GMT). "These are good measures of success," he said.
Qazi, the special representative of UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan, said it was still too early to make a definitive judgment on the polls but initial signs were good. "All in all it is a historic day and a good day," he said.

All I have to say about that is: it is a choice between leaders WE approved of. The whole shebang is lead by the US not the Iraqis...If you honestly believe the people of Iraq, an occupied nation, were free to choose whatever form of government they wanted, then you are very naive.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#470836 - 12/15/05 07:16 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Pardon me? Occupied? FREED yes, protected, perhaps.

Noone told them who to elect.

Return to Top
#470837 - 12/15/05 07:17 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
How's that any different than here? We only get to vote for the people who can afford to run and that are put in front of us, then our votes don't even count because the electoral college elects the president. Maybe they can join the union and be the 51st state.

Return to Top
#470838 - 12/15/05 07:29 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
No matter what the country or how fair the elections are held, there will always be a losing side saying the election was rigged. No one knows how to lose gracefully these days.

Return to Top
#470839 - 12/15/05 07:40 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quote:

Pardon me? Occupied? FREED yes, protected, perhaps.

Occupied? Certainly.

There are other things you could call it, but normally you seem to be the sort to call a spade a spade, so I don't know why you'd look for another term.

Return to Top
#470840 - 12/15/05 07:45 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Moreover, from their perspective, it is unequivocally "occupied".

Return to Top
#470841 - 12/15/05 07:46 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Unless, of course, BengalsFan is really Wolfowitz. In that case it would be "freed".

Return to Top
#470842 - 12/15/05 07:54 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Moreover, from their perspective, it is unequivocally "occupied".

From your perspective of their perspective, perhaps. But then again, you are most likely speaking from watching our totally biased media. It shows only insurgents. It shows only fighting back. It neglects to show you the people praising our troops and thanking them for being there. It neglects to show the training being done for their troops so that we can leave.

Occupied implies we aren't wanted there or that we are forcing them to do something they don't want to do. That's not the case. We forced out their leadership and let the people decide.

Return to Top
#470843 - 12/15/05 07:57 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who's perspective most likely reflects reality on the whole?

Return to Top
#470844 - 12/15/05 08:01 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Well, you can look at this two ways,

1) A conquored nation has to live with what their occupiers want.

2) The US has tried to put their best foot forward in picking "our" suggested leaders. The arguing groups of iraqis then had an opportunity to put their people in place. They fought back and forth until some sort of agreement could be made. Trust me guys, if everyone disagreed, we would still be fighting.

But, its all a moot point, The war was won. They are defeated. Iraq should just be thankful that we don't kick out the media and start opressing them like their own leaders did/

Return to Top
#470845 - 12/15/05 08:01 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
For the record, my post was satire.

Return to Top
#470846 - 12/15/05 08:03 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

thank God, I thought you lost it

Return to Top
#470847 - 12/15/05 08:06 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
slubgob Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

I was wondering if anyone else noticed.

Return to Top
#470848 - 12/15/05 08:07 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nation, your post is rather bizarre. I agree with your 1st point to an extent. Your second point is warped IMHO although it has a few nuggets of truism but the sum total of the second point is indescribable. As for your prologue, what has really been won? Saddam is out yes. But what is happening in Iraq is much much bigger than a land war.

Return to Top
#470849 - 12/15/05 08:09 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

"Occupied" carries with it the connotations of unwelcomed, possessing, and controlling. From what I hear from our men and women in uniform, we are wanted there for the most part. Those few denonating bombs and shooting at soldiers; however. do not want us there. Apparently, our efforts are to help them set up a government, help them gain independence, help them establish safety, and get out as soon as is practicable. Countries have "occupied" other countries for centuries, but I am not sure I have seen an "occupation" like this before. Germany occupied France. Iraq occupied Kuwait. USSR occupied Afghanistan. I don't see the similarities.

Return to Top
#470850 - 12/15/05 08:09 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was prepared to just let it make you look like a moron. I was concerned about the other comments.

Return to Top
#470851 - 12/15/05 08:10 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I thought you'd accidentally PM'd your password to AML Barbarian.

Return to Top
#470852 - 12/15/05 08:14 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Yes, (and they) are picking successors. But we are not forcing their successors. Sure, we are not going to let Bin Laden in there, but they have a say.

Return to Top
#470853 - 12/15/05 08:16 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

"From what I hear from our men and women in uniform"

When did GWB start posting here?

I see similarities between USSR/Afghanistan and this experience in the sense that they are completely different culturally and their is inherent cultural upheaval. The connotation that I thought mattered was theirs as, well, they are the one with the foreign troops.

Not too sure about your apples and oranges you concluded with. Doesn't really fit.

Return to Top
#470854 - 12/15/05 08:20 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
Quote:

Who's going to pay for my cleaning bill? 'Cause I crapped my pants when I read it!

Return to Top
#470855 - 12/15/05 08:24 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I see similarities between USSR/Afghanistan and this experience

Of course you do.

Return to Top
#470856 - 12/15/05 08:24 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Who's going to pay for my cleaning bill? 'Cause I crapped my pants when I read it!

Sorry, friend. I thought describing the UN as pro-American would tip it off.

Return to Top
#470857 - 12/15/05 08:26 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

"From what I hear from our men and women in uniform"

When did GWB start posting here?

You don't consider them "your men and women in uniform?" And you don't ever talk to any of them? I do. I work with two and have personal contact with more outside of work.

Quote:

Not too sure about your apples and oranges you concluded with. Doesn't really fit.

It doesn't fit because Iraq is not occupied.

Return to Top
#470858 - 12/15/05 08:27 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I see similarities between USSR/Afghanistan and this experience

Of course you do.

Sweet quote. Good thing you left off the last part of my sentence and disregarded the rest of the context too.

Return to Top
#470859 - 12/15/05 08:32 PM Re: The Sham Election in Iraq...
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
Quote:

I thought describing the UN as pro-American would tip it off.

You are correct. It should have been.

I think I was still struggling with the word "propaganda". I kept sounding it out, and sounding it out...Pro-pag-and-a... prO-p-agan-da... p-rop-a-gan-DA... I must have missed it.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4