Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#586193 - 07/20/06 05:23 PM A Slack Key Guitar Idea
Anonymous
Unregistered

First Fifty Dates Soundtrack Review (from www.amg.com)

Reflecting the film's Hawaiian setting, the soundtrack to Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore's romantic comedy about short-term memory loss, 50 First Dates, features reggae-fied versions of new wave classics. While technically the songs should have been done with slack key guitars and ukuleles, the collection is a pretty fun mix of styles that haven't had much to do with each other since the heydays of Blondie, the Police, and Musical Youth. Only one of these groups is represented on the soundtrack -- UB40's version of the Police's "Every Breath You Take," which is pleasant enough but not one of the more inspired pairings on the album. Likewise, Sugar Ray's Mark McGrath just isn't a strong enough vocal presence to carry off a natty dread version of the Psychedelic Furs' "Ghost in You." However, Wyclef Jean and Eve's version of the Outfield's "Your Love" is surprisingly genuine, and while Wayne Wonder's version of "Hold Me Now" isn't as fresh as his own work, it's still a decent version of the song. 311's version of the Cure's "Love Song" manages to be faithful to the original and to the concept of the soundtrack, creating a new style -- rasta-goth? -- in the process. Robert Smith and company get another shoutout in the form of Dryden Mitchell's "Friday, I'm in Love," which, unfortunately, isn't as successful as 311's homage. Somewhat predictably, most of the standout tracks on the collection come from the artists with the most reggae credibility; Ziggy Marley's version of the Cars' "Drive" imbues the song with a little more soulfulness than most of the other songs here, while Elan Atias' cover of Bryan Ferry's "Slave to Love" contrasts his raspy vocals with the smooth melody. Adam Sandler's closing track, "Forgetful Lucy," is one of his better and more restrained songs in a while; this song, along with the rest of the soundtrack, keeps the emphasis on "romantic" instead of comedy. Still, 50 First Dates is a fun and funny (if gimmicky) collection of love songs.

1 Hold Me Now Wayne Wonder 4:13
2 Love Song Three Eleven 3:29
3 Lips Like Sugar Seal, Mikey Dread 5:00
4 Your Love Wyclef Jean, Eve 4:14
5 Drive Ziggy Marley 4:27
6 True Will I Am, Fergie 3:47
7 Slave to Love Elan Atias 4:24
8 Every Breath You Take UB Forty 3:56
9 Ghost in You Mark McGrath 4:24
10 Friday, I'm in Love Dryden Mitchell 3:01
11 Breakfast in Bed Nicole Kea 3:22
12 I Melt With You Jason Mraz 3:36
13 Forgetful Lucy Adam Sandler 1:53

Hey, our resident BOL slack key guitar expert should make a CD of slack key guitar versions of these songs in this order and call it: "First Fifty Dates with a Slack Key Guitar."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#586194 - 07/22/06 06:44 PM Re: A Slack Key Guitar Idea
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, where is our resident slack key guitar expert? Anyone know who I am talking about?

Return to Top
#586195 - 07/22/06 07:25 PM Re: A Slack Key Guitar Idea *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED*
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Post deleted by Don_Narup

Return to Top
#586196 - 07/22/06 07:54 PM Re: A Slack Key Guitar Idea *DELETED*
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Post deleted by Don_Narup

Return to Top
#586197 - 07/22/06 11:28 PM Re: A Slack Key Guitar Idea
Anonymous
Unregistered

How about a remake of the music from Fifty First Dates which was set in Hawaii and missed a chance at doing slack key versions of these remakes?

Return to Top