Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#587719 - 07/24/06 08:45 PM Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

To donate or not to donate?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#587720 - 07/24/06 08:49 PM Re: Organs...
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
That is a very personal decision. But I personally feel the pros for donating out weigh any of the cons.

Return to Top
#587721 - 07/24/06 08:50 PM Re: Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

donate. we don't need them anymore when we are dead and our fellow man can use what we obviously cannot.

Return to Top
#587722 - 07/24/06 08:53 PM Re: Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm selfish. those organs were given to ME for ME.

Return to Top
#587723 - 07/24/06 08:55 PM Re: Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

i'm selfish. those organs were given to ME for ME.

but when YOU are no longer using them, why not help out your fellow man?

Return to Top
#587724 - 07/24/06 08:58 PM Re: Organs...
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
What if it was YOU that needed them?

Return to Top
#587725 - 07/24/06 09:11 PM Re: Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is no joke. I heard this from my gf. I lady came in from a brain injury that was bad but they had a shot at saving her. They decided to not attempt a save when they noticed she was a donar.

Return to Top
#587726 - 07/24/06 09:17 PM Re: Organs...
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I'm a donor. My best friend's brother has had his life saved by having three liver transplants (the first had problems after 3 years, the second was rejected by his body, and the third is going strong!)

Return to Top
#587727 - 07/24/06 09:29 PM Re: Organs...
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Quote:

donate. we don't need them anymore when we are dead and our fellow man can use what we obviously cannot.

Totally agree.

Return to Top
#587728 - 07/24/06 11:36 PM Re: Organs...
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Our favorite Natalie Bear is a living testimony to the importance of organ donation.

Check out her Website .

And, while your at it, please say a prayer for her. She's back in the hospital.

Return to Top
#587729 - 07/25/06 12:21 AM Re: Organs...
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:

This is no joke. I heard this from my gf. I lady came in from a brain injury that was bad but they had a shot at saving her. They decided to not attempt a save when they noticed she was a donar.

This story regularly goes around.

The fact is that doctors and nurses don't stand there going through your wallet in the emergency room. The only time they would even be looked at is if no next of kin came with you to the hospital. Unfortunately, in this age of law suits, doctors would rather your relative make the call then assume huge amounts of responsibility for your care.

Not to mention, behaviour like this goes against the Hypocratic Oath that all medical professionals take.

My brother's unexpected death last November made the holidays happy for FOUR other families. His heart, kidneys and liver were all transplanted to people who might not have made it to Christmas otherwise.

And to the other unregistered, I truly hope you reconsider your attitude. Hopefully you'll never be in a position to wish that someone else doesn't hold the same opinion you do.

Prayers continue for our Natalie.

Return to Top
#587730 - 07/25/06 01:59 AM Re: Organs...
TNBanker Offline
100 Club
Donate. The best gift we can give is the gift of another sunrise.

Return to Top
#587731 - 07/25/06 02:34 AM Re: Organs...
slick Offline
Power Poster
slick
somewhere out there
i almost feel bad saying this, but i am leaving with what i came with. i know i should, but i can't even stand the thought, but i am sure if someone close to me ever needed it, i wouldn't hesitate.

Return to Top
#587732 - 07/25/06 11:28 AM Re: Organs...
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I am a donor. My father is a transplant recipient, I feel it is only right that because someone else's organs let my Dad live, I ought to repay them.
That is, of course, provided my lungs aren't black from smoking, my liver is intact and compliance hasn't completely demolished my brain...

Return to Top
#587733 - 07/25/06 12:03 PM Re: Organs...
Roger That Offline
Platinum Poster
Roger That
Penna.
If possible, everything thing I got will go to someone else.
I'm talking eyes, liver...(they may not choose to take that thing), ears, lips, back hair. If I don't need it where I'm going, I ain't hauling it up the stairs.
Yes.
I did say UP the stairs.

Return to Top
#587734 - 07/25/06 12:21 PM Re: Organs...
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I'm an organ donor and have instructed my family to let them take whatever they want. I'm going to be cremated so it would be a complete waste to destroy something that could help someone else. I don't judge people who choose not to donate, but I don't understand; especially if that person is Christian. What good will your organs do if you are dead?

Return to Top
#587735 - 07/25/06 01:02 PM Re: Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

to those few who do not wish to donate, what are your reasons (other than the fear that you will be "harvested" before you are really dead)?

Return to Top
#587736 - 07/25/06 01:52 PM Re: Organs...
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

i almost feel bad saying this, but i am leaving with what i came with. i know i should, but i can't even stand the thought, but i am sure if someone close to me ever needed it, i wouldn't hesitate.

Would you do it for me Slick?

Return to Top
#587737 - 07/25/06 02:27 PM Re: Organs...
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Quote:

This is so much garbage, and it's idiots like this who perputuate these stories (guess how I really feel) that keep some folks on the fence about organ donation.

My brother works for an organ/tissue company in the mid-west and by the time he gets called to work with grieving families to discuss donation and consent ALL measures have been exhausted. And for someone to even hint that they pulled the plug simply because they wanted to harvest needed organs is the most cruel thing you could ever say to a family. Needless to say, Mr Anon should remain anon, as senstivity courses are desparately needed.

my brother covers a huge territory and spends every other week on call - when a candidate is declared brain dead and has traits/marks that would make them a good donor, he gets called to the hospital to talk to the family about organ donation. It's not an easy thing for him to do, nor is it easy for the family - but he has a way of just sitting down and visiting, putting family at ease with the process and those that are interested have appreciated his ability to help them see hope for others, where they see only sorrow for themselves.

We were given a temporal body, for which we'll have no need after death - why not help another - and just think, it could even be someone you know!!

DONATE!!!
Last edited by TexTrainer; 07/25/06 02:29 PM.
Return to Top
#587738 - 07/25/06 02:36 PM Re: Organs...
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
My other hope in being a donor is that in the event that I do pass on and someone takes some of my organs - I hope they have strange dreams about me because they have my body parts

Return to Top
#587739 - 07/25/06 02:42 PM Re: Organs...
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
My favorite station on TV is Discovery Health Channel. Has anyone seen the full face transplant? It's pretty cool. They can have whatever they can use off my body, I wont need them anymore. Even my face. Someone would be lucky to get that, HAHAHA KIDDING

Return to Top
#587740 - 07/25/06 02:52 PM Re: Organs...
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Quote:

My other hope in being a donor is that in the event that I do pass on and someone takes some of my organs - I hope they have strange dreams about me because they have my body parts

It's possible there's women out there that have had strange dreams about you because they've seen your body parts.

Return to Top
#587741 - 07/25/06 03:04 PM Re: Organs...
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

This is so much garbage, and it's idiots like this who perputuate these stories (guess how I really feel) that keep some folks on the fence about organ donation.

My brother works for an organ/tissue company in the mid-west and by the time he gets called to work with grieving families to discuss donation and consent ALL measures have been exhausted. And for someone to even hint that they pulled the plug simply because they wanted to harvest needed organs is the most cruel thing you could ever say to a family. Needless to say, Mr Anon should remain anon, as senstivity courses are desparately needed.

my brother covers a huge territory and spends every other week on call - when a candidate is declared brain dead and has traits/marks that would make them a good donor, he gets called to the hospital to talk to the family about organ donation. It's not an easy thing for him to do, nor is it easy for the family - but he has a way of just sitting down and visiting, putting family at ease with the process and those that are interested have appreciated his ability to help them see hope for others, where they see only sorrow for themselves.

We were given a temporal body, for which we'll have no need after death - why not help another - and just think, it could even be someone you know!!

DONATE!!!

Very well said. There is no more beautiful gift you can give. One year I was very broke and didn't have money for Christmas presents. For my sister I made this certificate giving her a kidney if she ever needed one. She loved it.

Return to Top
#587742 - 07/25/06 03:11 PM Re: Organs...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Very well said. There is no more beautiful gift you can give. One year I was very broke and didn't have money for Christmas presents. For my sister I made this certificate giving her a kidney if she ever needed one. She loved it.

slight detour:

this one kid in my fraternity used get kids wanting beers at our parties to sign away their soul to him. i'm sure he he still has them somewhere.

Return to Top
#587743 - 07/25/06 03:17 PM Re: Organs...
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
When my brothe passed, he was a donor, and they asked us, the family, if we agreed to donate. We said yes. About 1 week after his autopsy, we got a call saying that they were going to harvest his organs. The caller then went on to describe to my mom HOW they were going to do it, step by step. When she dropped the phone crying, I picked it up and let them have an earful. I told them that there was no way they would do that to my brother and told them they couldn't take his organs. I immediately called the casualty assistance officer and told him what transpired.
We had fully intended to donate his organs. That call was completely uncalled for and I can still see my mom crying because of it.
So we did not donate his organs.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3