#601230 - 08/17/06 07:30 PM Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#601231 - 08/17/06 07:39 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

hey, set some parameters for what the program can and can't do and you have your wiretap system, dr doomandgloom.

Return to Top
#601232 - 08/17/06 07:54 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree with you J.

Return to Top
#601233 - 08/17/06 07:55 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

to date we have been catching terrorists right and left and have not had another attack on our soil. every attack after this is the fault of the ACLU. the ACLU kills americans.

Return to Top
#601234 - 08/17/06 07:58 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

to date we have been catching terrorists right and left and have not had another attack on our soil. every attack after this is the fault of the ACLU. the ACLU kills americans.

oh, so there is no way to pursue the wiretap program and set parameters to safeguard civil rights? the pres must be given absolute authority?

heil

Return to Top
#601235 - 08/17/06 08:02 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you judge Taylor

Return to Top
#601236 - 08/17/06 08:04 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

the pres must be given absolute authority?

What part of Commander-in-Chief do you not understand? This is a war, as evidenced by Congressional resolution. He has absolute authority as to the conduct of that war. If you don't like the way he carries it out, you defund the program, or you impeach him. You don't drag activist liberal judges into the issue.

Return to Top
#601237 - 08/17/06 08:04 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Friends, build a fallout shelter.

Return to Top
#601238 - 08/17/06 08:09 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

The issue here is that the Executive Office cannot just ignore the Constitution and the Laws of the US regardless of the situation. Granted he may say it is to track terrorists but what about everyone else's privacy he is invading? If they have a reasonable belief that they need to tap someone why can't they just get the warrant? I don't think they should just have carte blanc to listen to everyone's calls, besides do you really think the terrorists are talking about plots over the phone? Come on, I don't think so.

I think that this president has stepped way over the line on this one and its about time someone called attention to that.

Return to Top
#601239 - 08/17/06 08:12 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

What part of Commander-in-Chief do you not understand? This is a war, as evidenced by Congressional resolution. He has absolute authority as to the conduct of that war. If you don't like the way he carries it out, you defund the program, or you impeach him. You don't drag activist liberal judges into the issue.

I think what you are missing is that he does not have absolute authority during war time and that is the point, what he did was unconstitutional and I applaude the judge for making that decision. And how do you know the judge is a liberal have you researched her career? maybe she was looking at it from the letter of the law?

I can't wait for 2008!

Return to Top
#601240 - 08/17/06 08:19 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is Jon Stewart running in 2008?

Return to Top
#601241 - 08/17/06 08:23 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

I can't wait for 2008!

2008?

I can’t wait until football season when I can crush ron and is magic card playing, juice box drinking, rice krispie treat eating #$@!

Return to Top
#601242 - 08/17/06 08:28 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

since when am i the aclu?

why do you always ignore the following: the pres DOES have absolute authority to prosecute a war. i'll even buy a war on terror. but when his methods for doing so find a place in domestic criminal/civil issues (they haven't but they certainly could without much of an effort), he has gone too far.

Return to Top
#601243 - 08/17/06 08:29 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

I can't wait for 2008!

2008?

I can’t wait until football season when I can crush ron and is magic card playing, juice box drinking, rice krispie treat eating #$@!

i don't get the juice box and rice krispie reference, peeps.

Return to Top
#601244 - 08/17/06 08:31 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

do you really think the terrorists are talking about plots over the phone?

actually, i do. but i concur with the rest of your sentiments.

Return to Top
#601245 - 08/17/06 08:31 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

This is a war, as evidenced by Congressional resolution. He has absolute authority as to the conduct of that war.

This isn't about conducting the war, this is about domestic surveillance. And it's about upholding our Constitution by reining in an Imperial Presidency.

Return to Top
#601246 - 08/17/06 08:34 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Peepers Offline
10K Club
It’s in your nerd thread. I asked a smart #$@ question in there.

And that's rare for me, I usually don't post smart #$@ questions or comments.

Return to Top
#601247 - 08/17/06 08:35 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Before we start dividing up our support for the NSA program according to party affiliation, let's remember this from 1996:

The Clinton supported provision to allow the FBI to wiretap all telephones used by a suspected terrorist was dropped and one requiring explosives manufacturers to insert chemical tracers in their products was weakened to cover only plastic explosives.

A rare grouping of conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats succeeded in killing the wiretap provision on the grounds that it would encroach further on personal liberties.

Clinton said he wanted increased wiretap authority "for terrorists who are moving from place to place," adding: "Where they are flexible, so must we be."

Return to Top
#601248 - 08/17/06 08:38 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

i saw it there, too. i don't get the reference. enlighten me.

Return to Top
#601249 - 08/17/06 08:40 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Before we start dividing up our support for the NSA program according to party affiliation, let's remember this from 1996:

The Clinton supported provision to allow the FBI to wiretap all telephones used by a suspected terrorist was dropped and one requiring explosives manufacturers to insert chemical tracers in their products was weakened to cover only plastic explosives.

A rare grouping of conservative Republicans and liberal Democrats succeeded in killing the wiretap provision on the grounds that it would encroach further on personal liberties.

Clinton said he wanted increased wiretap authority "for terrorists who are moving from place to place," adding: "Where they are flexible, so must we be."

before you start turning this into partisan games by your example...

wire taps: use them to your hearts content to counter terrorism. do NOT use them to police other things. simple. it just takes some parameters.

Return to Top
#601250 - 08/17/06 08:42 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

i saw it there, too. i don't get the reference. enlighten me.

I was messing around and implying that it was a child’s game.

My smart assery and sarcasm is wasted here.

Return to Top
#601251 - 08/17/06 08:46 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Quote:

How about we wait for the Appellate and eventually, Supreme Court review before we go off the deep end.

Return to Top
#601252 - 08/17/06 08:49 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
These are the parameters, according to Tony Snow:
"The program is carefully administered and only targets international phone calls coming into or out of the United States where one of the parties on the call is a suspected al-Qaida or affiliated terrorist."

I don't think there would've been a problem if they had just obtained the necessary warrants for surveillance.

Return to Top
#601253 - 08/17/06 08:56 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

These are the parameters, according to Tony Snow:
"The program is carefully administered and only targets international phone calls coming into or out of the United States where one of the parties on the call is a suspected al-Qaida or affiliated terrorist."

I don't think there would've been a problem if they had just obtained the necessary warrants for surveillance.

not the sort of parameters i am talking about.

how about stuff like: these wiretaps may NOT be used for domestic law enforcement. no information derived from an otherwise allowable (terrorism-related) wiretap may be disseminated to domestic law enforcements services for domestic law enforcement purposes. any such info (aka tips, evidence) is inadmissable for domestic law enforcement. anybody found to have abused this will be punished by ____. etc...

Return to Top
#601254 - 08/17/06 10:23 PM Re: Civilizations Die from Suicide, Not by Murder
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

since when am i the aclu?

why do you always ignore the following: the pres DOES have absolute authority to prosecute a war. i'll even buy a war on terror. but when his methods for doing so find a place in domestic criminal/civil issues (they haven't...

Case closed.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4