BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#608834 - 09/04/06 05:54 AM Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Sept 4, 2006

The naturalist and television star Steve Irwin has died in a diving accident in far north Queensland. He was 44.

Police say he was stung through the heart by a stingray while diving off Port Douglas. The stringray's barb imbedded in his chest.

He was filming an underwater documentary when the accident occurred around midday AEST near the Low Isles.

Irwin is survived by his wife Terri and two children.

This happened Monday in Australia (Sunday in the U.S.) This is very sad. He was very passionate about wildlife and I enjoyed his shows very much.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#608835 - 09/04/06 03:50 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I am saddened, but the only thing surprising is that it was by a stingray. He knew the risks and seemed to embrace them.

Return to Top
#608836 - 09/04/06 08:40 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
I too enjoyed his show, I was surprised to find that it was a stingray as well. I figured it would have a been a snake. Freak accident that the barb pierced his heart and turned an otherwise minimal risk situation into a fatality.

Return to Top
#608837 - 09/04/06 09:37 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Oh, so very sad. I've always enjoyed his show.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#608838 - 09/04/06 11:33 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
It's a shame and a loss. He was entertaining and informative/educational. I always figured he would be doing this until he got old, then would get caught by a gator faster than him.

Condolences to his widow and their children.

Return to Top
#608839 - 09/05/06 02:29 AM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
slubgob Offline
Platinum Poster
It's a shame, he really had a passion for his work. They showed an old interview Larry King did with Steve. He was a very animaited and interesting person. I always thought it would be a snake or crocodile that would get him. They say stingrays are usually pretty safe and it was just a freak accident.

I feel bad for his two kids.

Return to Top
#608840 - 09/05/06 02:50 AM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
"Let's see what happens when I poke it with a stick..."

Return to Top
#608841 - 09/05/06 11:47 AM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I thought he was a great guy. It is sad. My husband told me the crocidle man died and at first I thought he meant the guy that did those movies- later on in the day my son talked to me about it and then I knew who he meant. Sometimes life and what happens just doesn't make sense.

Return to Top
#608842 - 09/05/06 12:19 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I was extremely saddened to hear of his loss and I find myself constantly thinking about his wife and two children. He was so energetic and enthusiastic about saving the wildlife and I enjoyed seeing his shows or on television. I truly believe he will be missed by many.

Return to Top
#608843 - 09/05/06 12:23 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Crikey!

Return to Top
#608844 - 09/05/06 12:34 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I understand that AU is giving him a state funeral to pay him homage. He really loved his work. I am sad for his young family.

Return to Top
#608845 - 09/05/06 12:54 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Return to Top
#608846 - 09/05/06 12:56 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Same here, DQ. He seemed really passionate about his work and was very entertaining to watch. He definitely "pushed the envelope" at times, but it's so sad and he will be missed a great deal.

Return to Top
#608847 - 09/05/06 01:00 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I understand that AU is giving him a state funeral to pay him homage. He really loved his work. I am sad for his young family.

Funny that, since they were HORRIBLE to him when he first got started, calling him a sellout to the American media and all kinds of horrible things.

Return to Top
#608848 - 09/05/06 01:23 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

"if she only knew i was 'ere to 'elp 'er..."

Return to Top
#608849 - 09/05/06 01:38 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Buddy Love Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
I bet this kills the "Swim with the Stingrays" industry.

Return to Top
#608850 - 09/05/06 01:50 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

Quote:

Funny that, since they were HORRIBLE to him when he first got started, calling him a sellout to the American media and all kinds of horrible things.

He was much more popular in the U.S. and Europe than he ever was in his home country. I think he probably did more, than any other Australian celebrity to make outsiders want to visit. It's just like they say, "you never know what you have until it's gone."

Return to Top
#608851 - 09/05/06 01:51 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
Quote:

I saw a short bit on the news last night talking to someone who does this. They said they'll be taking a break to evaluate the safety, but that they planned to be back offering the attraction soon.

Return to Top
#608852 - 09/05/06 01:57 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I read an article that said that the Australian government loved Steve and did realize that he did more to promote the country and entice people to want to visit than any other celebrity. All this on top of his commitment to wildlife conservation efforts. As with anything there were some Australians that did not like how he came across and were afraid of the stereotype that he may have projected. I think he was a great guy and it is rare to see that much passion in a person, I really enjoyed watching him.

Return to Top
#608853 - 09/05/06 02:19 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Carly Girl Offline
Power Poster
TEXAS
Steve Irwin is a man that will truly be missed by all, adults and children alike. I paid money to go see that corny movie of his that he made with his wife but it was a great, clean movie. I too, thought it would be a croc that would get him: he's had many a near misses. Im deeply saddened by the loss and my heart goes out to his young family.

Correct me if Im wrong but Discovery? channel is doing a memorial to him tonight. Maybe The Learning Channel?, Im not sure, check your listings. This will be a great show and Im sure we wouldnt want to miss it.

Hats off to you, Steve!

Return to Top
#608854 - 09/05/06 02:17 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Not likely as most of the stingrays in captivity have had the barb removed.

Return to Top
#608855 - 09/05/06 02:26 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Quote:

Steve Irwin is a man that will truly be missed by all, adults and children alike. I paid money to go see that corny movie of his that he made with his wife but it was a great, clean movie. I too, thought it would be a croc that would get him: he's had many a near misses. Im deeply saddened by the loss and my heart goes out to his young family.

Correct me if Im wrong but Discovery? channel is doing a memorial to him tonight. Maybe The Learning Channel?, Im not sure, check your listings. This will be a great show and Im sure we wouldnt want to miss it.

Hats off to you, Steve!

Yep, TG. I heard something on the tv this morning while I was getting dressed about showing some kind memorial to honor him...but I thought it was the Disney Channel...???

Return to Top
#608856 - 09/05/06 02:28 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Hats off to you, Steve!

Yep, TG. I heard something on the tv this morning while I was getting dressed about showing some kind memorial to honor him...but I thought it was the Disney Channel...???

Wasn't it Crocodile Dundee that did the movie with his wife?

Return to Top
#608857 - 09/05/06 02:39 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hats off to you, Steve!

Steve Irwin did make a feature film. I believe it was titled "The Crocodile Hunter" and it played in theatres a few years ago.

Paul Hogan did the Crocodile Dundee movies with Linda Kozlowski (sp) and later married her.

Return to Top
#608858 - 09/05/06 02:44 PM Re: Death of Steve Irwin, Crocodile Hunter
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hats off to you, Steve!

Steve Irwin did make a feature film. I believe it was titled "The Crocodile Hunter" and it played in theatres a few years ago.

Paul Hogan did the Crocodile Dundee movies with Linda Kozlowski (sp) and later married her.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3