BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#666744 - 01/16/07 07:44 PM Cruise Ship tipping
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Anyone know of a reliable guide for tipping on a cruise??? Please...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#666747 - 01/16/07 07:46 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Retired DQ
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Cruise ships are pretty big, I don’t think you can tip them.

Return to Top
#666750 - 01/16/07 07:47 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Peepers
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
ROFL! Did you Google the subject? I'm sure there is something out there. I know it depends on the cruise too (length, what's included, etc).

Return to Top
#666752 - 01/16/07 07:47 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Peepers
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
LOL..smart@ss.

DQ-usually the cruise ship tells you how to tip.

Return to Top
#666756 - 01/16/07 07:51 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping cheekEE
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Peepers stole my answer...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#666762 - 01/16/07 07:58 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping *BUSTER*
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
LOL, I did google it, but am concerned that they are not reliable or self-serving...

Return to Top
#666763 - 01/16/07 08:01 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Peepers
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Originally Posted By: Mr. Peepers
Cruise ships are pretty big, I donÂ’t think you can tip them.

I was thinking the same thing. Actually cow tipping came to mind when I read the title.

DQ, So does this mean you are taking a trip?

Return to Top
#666770 - 01/16/07 08:03 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping CRAatBOK
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Yeah baby, but not til July, I am just so excited about it, I am really thinking ahead... We have traveled a lot, but this will be our first cruise.

Return to Top
#666784 - 01/16/07 08:14 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Retired DQ
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Cruise ships are going to an 'automatic' tipping system. Your gratuities, in the amount of $10 per person per day, are automatically added to your bill. The $10 might be $15 on ultr-flossy cruise-lines, but $10 is what I've seen on Norwegian, Holland-America and Cunard.

Return to Top
#666786 - 01/16/07 08:15 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Retired DQ
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
I think that usually the cruise line itself will tell you what is generally accepted. The last couple that I have been on they just billed your room for a standard amount automatically and told you that you could increase or decrease the amount as you wished by contacting the "front desk." On both of our last two cruises (different lines) it was the same amount - $10 per day per person. Hope that helps and enjoy your trip!

Return to Top
#666788 - 01/16/07 08:16 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Retired DQ
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Have you been to Cruise Critic ? There are message boards there and tons of helpful info.

Each cruise line has their own guidelines for tipping. I would try the website for your cruise line also.

So, where are you going?

Return to Top
#666812 - 01/16/07 08:35 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping califgirl
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Right...expect your cruise line to bill your room $10 a day per person, which you can change if you wish. Tips will automatically be calculated into the cost of your drinks too, so you do not tip the servers as they are serving. On the last night, there is also the passing of envelopes if you wish to tip the dinner service people (Maitre'D, server, bread server, wine server). I generally do not tip the maitre'd as I do not feel they do anything really except stand and watch the activity around thenm.

You can always leave more for your room steward, as they are usually very good to you (every time you leave your room they almost always seem to pop in and freshen up the place!).

Which cruise line are you going on? What stops? What else do you want to know?

Return to Top
#667039 - 01/17/07 11:57 AM Re: Cruise Ship tipping #Just Jay
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
calif & bbs, we are doing a 7 night Bahama cruise out of NYC in July. We chose the Norwegian Cruise Line, for its freestyle cruising. I just want to relax and not have a rigid schedule.

I did read that they add $10 pp every day, does that cover the tipping with exception to the room steward? I am heading off to Cruise Critic... thanks everyone!

Return to Top
#667045 - 01/17/07 12:41 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Retired DQ
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen

I did read that they add $10 pp every day, does that cover the tipping with exception to the room steward?

It includes the room steward as well. You may want to do something in cash for him or her if they've been pretty helpful.

Return to Top
#667069 - 01/17/07 02:13 PM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Hrothgar Geiger
Animal Offline
Animal
NY
Sounds like there are more experienced travelers out there than me but maybe my "tips" can help.

First off, I'm definately not a cheap person but I am a firm believer of tipping based on service. With that said I also base tipping on security. When I got to port I tipped the bag handler better than the bus driver. (I bought a transfer ticket from airport to the port and it said on the back to not tip the bus drivers.) I didn't. Cheap? whatever. Our room steward was really good and helpful, always around for questions. We tossed her a few $$. The rest of the tipping they spell out for you or it may be included in your room cost.

One thing i would change, that I'll chalk up to inexperience, was I really wanted to tip our dinner servers as they were really good. However the envelope we dropped to the host apparently went to him. I though it would have been distributed to the staff working our table. I guess it didn't/doesn't. So I would have directly handed that envelope to the servers. Thats my only regret. Other than that I didn't tip much as I only carried my cruise charge card the entire time.

Have fun and make sure you have a healthy eating regiment ready for your return. Those cheeseburger bars and all night buffets are brutal along with the buckets of beer in the hottubs!!
Cheers!

Return to Top
#667672 - 01/18/07 02:35 AM Re: Cruise Ship tipping Retired DQ
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
calif & bbs, we are doing a 7 night Bahama cruise out of NYC in July. We chose the Norwegian Cruise Line, for its freestyle cruising. I just want to relax and not have a rigid schedule.

I did read that they add $10 pp every day, does that cover the tipping with exception to the room steward? I am heading off to Cruise Critic... thanks everyone!

I did Norwegian once, and Carnival six times now, a seventh in 17 days!

I think the whole Free-style thing is a gimmick. On Carnival, the only "scheduled" thing was dinner, but if I did not want to eat in the main dinign room with 2-3 other couples at the same time every night, I had other options, all at no additional cost, and thus could totally make my schedule "free" as I wanted.

I have never felt I was locked into one option or time over another. I also find that with Carnival, its cheaper (a balcony room runs about 2-300 per person less) the rooms are larger, and boarding is easier. I will admit though that with Norwegian, the food was a bit better. But you know what, its all the same sun, the same water, the same detinations, and the same shore excursions no matter who you choose!

I hope you are excited about yours...I know I am!

Return to Top
#667686 - 01/18/07 11:59 AM Re: Cruise Ship tipping #Just Jay
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I cannot wait!!!!

Return to Top