BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#713853 - 04/10/07 01:49 PM U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
I believe this was in response to a question about the British Hostages. This Marine was among the hostages taken by Iran in 1979:

Former Hostage, Iran, 1979

Commenter FormerHostage wrote a response to my question. Given his first hand experience of the 444 days Americans were held hostage by Iranian radicals from November 4th, 1979, to January 20th, 1981, I think everyone should give this a read:
Posted by Frank J. at 12:18 AM | 47 blog reactions

As my screenname indicates, I can speak with Complete Moral Authority (tm) on this issue.

On the day of the takeover, the Marines were outnumbered at least 1000 to 1. We held the consulate and the communications vault for over 12 hours, helping to destroy equipment and classified material. We were under STRICT orders not to fire our weapons or pop gas grenades (too late for that last one..hee, hee, hee). We were eventually told that we were on or own and to make a break for it. The monkeys even put one of the diplomats in front of the comm vault peep eye with a pistol to their head and threatened to kill them unless the door was opened. It wasn't and they didn't. Once all the material was destroyed the doors were opened and they all got the [censored] beat out of them.

When we were first taken, the Iranians took us into a room individually and asked us to sign a statement denouncing the US policy in Iran, Israel, the Shah, etc. The Marines signed with names such as Michael Mouse, Chesty Puller, Dan Daly (google the last two...Marine Corps legends), Harry Butz, etc.

During the ordeal they would try to tape us for propaganda purposes. Personally, I would keep looking down to the ground or hide behind others so that my face wouldn't show (in fact, after a couple of months of not seeing me in any of the videos my records I was classified as MIA). Another Marine and I shared the same cell and when they came in with cameras we'd strip down. I heard a rumor that one of the other Marines smeared ketchup on his face and started howling.

They day before they released us, we were taken to a room with a camera and Mary the Terrorist who was going to interview us. We were threatened that if we didn't say the right things we wouldn't be released. Some Marines gave only name rank and SSN, others sang (Marine Corps Hymn or God Bless America), others just said nothing.

On the day they let us go, I was being herded towards the airplane by a couple of those monkeys. I pulled my arm out of their grasp and let them know that "We're number one"...but used the wrong finger.

For our troubles we were isolated, thumped, went through two mock executions, starved, threatened, and had to put up with useful idiots from Amnesty International showing up just to let the world know how humane we were being treated.

We resisted at each opportunity, except for Army Sgt Joe Subic who collaborated from day 1 and was later snubbed by the rest of us (and was the only one not to receive a citation). We refused to cooperate, stole keys, plugged toilets, pissed in their rations, blew circuit breakers, laughed in their face when they threatened us and cursed them when they beat us. Steve Kirtley even told one of them to pull his finger! The monkey did and Steve was beaten for the inevitable result.

We did this because we were first and foremost, MARINES! Our honor and loyalty to the United States gave us the courage. We would rather die (and that was a definite possibility) than to shame ourselves, our Corps, or our Country. We had to live up to our history and got to measure ourselves and our actions against those of greater men.

Yes, we broke now and then. But would immediately pick ourselves back up and go back to fighting. Which, by the way, confused the [censored] out of the monkeys!

Pity the poor Brits. All they had was the history of the E.U. and the U.N. as examples.

Semper Fi

UPDATE:

Former Hostage adds some background:

Originally this was nothing more than a blog comment, but then FrankJ stroked my...ego...and asked if he could post it. Well, we all crave attention (right Rupta?) and other than that embarrassing profile at classmates.com I'd never been "published" before so I said OK. There's a couple of things I wish I had put in or made clearer. (FYI WAL, I use "monkeys" because the other terms we used wouldn't make it through the naughty word filter...and monkeys are creepy)

First off, thanks for the comments and don't feed the troll.

Second, none of us thought that we had done anything special. That's the one thing non-military types have some trouble understanding. Personally, I was (am?) very uncomfortable with the "hero" tag that the press put on us. We did what we had to do, what we were trained to do. It was just something that Marines do.

Third, when the fecal matter hits the oscillating cooling device, you fall back to training.

The Marines have the longest boot camp of US forces, 13 weeks for enlisted. Officers have OCS, which in the Corps is the equivalent of boot camp, and lasts from 12 to 13 weeks depending on what program you commissioned on (glutton for punishment that I am, I earned a commission so endured both Boot Camp and, 10 years later, OCS and I can say from experience that even without the extra 10 years OCS was harder). After that, officers get to spend another 14 weeks at The Basic School (TBS) in Quantico where they get a taste of combined combat arms and do everything from assaulting a beach in AAAVs (sucked) to blowing up stuff with C4 (didn't suck). The Marines also still do not have co-ed training until advanced schools. It's not that women are better or worse, just different in size and strength. HOWEVER, their training matches a male's step for ever lovin' godmyfeetarekillingmewhenisthisgonnaend step.

There's no way to completely match the stress of combat...but the DIs come realllllly close. In the late 70's there was a great hue and cry from some people *cough*democrats*cough* about the barbarity of Marine boot camp. But it is this stress that prepared us for the confinement. If I could put up with 13 weeks of Drill Instructor SSgt Laird in my face, then nothing short of bullets flying would rattle me.

The training is also not all physical. In fact, you'd be surprised at how much time is spent in the classroom learning everything from basic hygiene and first aid, to squad tactics, to the nomenclature of T/O weapons (I can still field strip an M16 and damned if I can't put most in the 10 ring with a 9mm), to History and Traditions.

Finally, History and Traditions. This is one advantage every Marine has. As an average American (pre-pc) we were raised on black and white war movies ("Sarge! You! Scared?" "Sure kid, a man'd have to be crazy not to be scared") and legends: Crossing the Delaware, Gettysburg, the Alamo, the Battle of the Bulge. On top of this Marines have our own history: the Halls of Montezuma, shores of Tripoli, Bella Woods, Tarawa, Iwo Jima, Khe Sahn (and more recently Fahluja).

We didn't feel that we did anything special...because we hadn't. We had acted like we were trained to act, as we were expected to act, as those who went before us had acted.

The Marines always celebrate the Marine Corps birthday (November 10th) no matter where they are. One of the traditions is the cutting of the cake with a sword. The first piece is presented to the oldest Marine present (active or retired) who then presents it to the youngest Marine present to symbolize the passing of knowledge and traditions from one generation to the next. I always thought this was way cool. It bonds us in ways that are hard to explain. A few weeks ago our financial advisor asked us out to dinner, something she does with all new clients. My wife and I said yes but were a little uncomfortable because we really didn't know her personally and would be meeting her husband for the first time. Turns out he was a former jarhead and by the end of the night we were all jokin' and smokin' as if we'd grown up together.

It's just something Marines do.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#713875 - 04/10/07 02:12 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
can you summarize the main point of this please? i don't have time to read it.

Return to Top
#713883 - 04/10/07 02:17 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico

Summary (not being a wiseguy Ron): the Marines did not acquiesce or break in spite of all the threats and coercion on the part of the Irananian hostage takers. They remained resilient and constantly aware of their love and loyalty to "God, Corp and Country."

Return to Top
#713892 - 04/10/07 02:24 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
[quote=AMLFella
Summary (not being a wiseguy Ron): the Marines did not acquiesce or break in spite of all the threats and coercion on the part of the Irananian hostage takers. They remained resilient and constantly aware of their love and loyalty to "God, Corp and Country." [/quote]

You should add, "then get home and make millions by selling our story"...

Return to Top
#713894 - 04/10/07 02:25 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks *DELETED* Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Post deleted by AMLFella

Return to Top
#713897 - 04/10/07 02:26 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: AMLFella

Summary (not being a wiseguy Ron): the Marines did not acquiesce or break in spite of all the threats and coercion on the part of the Irananian hostage takers. They remained resilient and constantly aware of their love and loyalty to "God, Corp and Country."

i am so proud of our troops! and i am proud of the brits as well!

Return to Top
#713900 - 04/10/07 02:28 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

i am so proud of our troops! and i am proud of the brits as well!

I knew you would be

Return to Top
#713901 - 04/10/07 02:30 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
U.K. Tells Military: No Paid Interviews

I am proud they did not break under the pressure. I am proud of them. I am proud it all backfired on Iran.

What I'm ashamed of is how quickly it seems they are ready to make a quick dollar out of it.
Last edited by NeophytePolitico; 04/10/07 02:51 PM.
Return to Top
#713916 - 04/10/07 02:42 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Why am I not surprised by your comment. It really is pathetic.

How? Is it not the truth? Did the Brits not just pass a ban on the soldiers from selling their stories?

U.K. Tells Military: No Paid Interviews

I am proud they did not break under the pressure. I am proud of them. I am proud it all backfired on Iran.

What I'm ashamed of is how quickly it seems they are ready to make a quick dollar out of it.

I apologize Neo. I misunderstood. I thought you had directed that at the U.S. Hostages taken in 1979. I also felt bad that the Brits considered book deals. I will not judge them from an ivory tower as to whatever they were experiencing when captives, but looking to sign book deals does not appear to be very noble at all.

Return to Top
#713922 - 04/10/07 02:46 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Well...since you misunderstood...you mind going back and editting your original post as not to call me "pathetic"?

Return to Top
#713924 - 04/10/07 02:48 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NeophytePolitico
Well...since you misunderstood...you mind going back and editting your original post as not to call me "pathetic"?

Done dude. I deleted the post.

Return to Top
#713933 - 04/10/07 02:51 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Why can't they sell their stories? I don't get the shame.

They lived through what I am sure was a harrowing experience, and as long as they don't divulge military secrets, what's the big deal?

Return to Top
#713982 - 04/10/07 03:29 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks MB Guy
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Why can't they sell their stories? I don't get the shame.

They lived through what I am sure was a harrowing experience, and as long as they don't divulge military secrets, what's the big deal?

I think because, at least at the present time, it is watering down the entire incident, kind of making it appear to be a pop culture thing. Probaly need to let the waters settle for sometime before book deals have a more appropriate appearance.

Return to Top
#713983 - 04/10/07 03:29 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks TheManofSteel
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I apologize Neo. I misunderstood. I thought you had directed that at the U.S. Hostages taken in 1979. I also felt bad that the Brits considered book deals. I will not judge them from an ivory tower as to whatever they were experiencing when captives, but looking to sign book deals does not appear to be very noble at all.

You didn't misunderstand Neo. He may have misspoke, but his response to your post summarizing the exemplary behavior of our Marines was to accuse them of cashing in. He may have meant to apply that response to the British sailors, but he did not.

Return to Top
#714099 - 04/10/07 05:15 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
So he may have misspoke, but he meant what he said?

Return to Top
#714105 - 04/10/07 05:21 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Imagine
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
my comments were directed towards the Britons and no one else.

Straw...you seem to do pretty good combatting -J- these days, mind telling him that "flattery" will get him nowhere with me...he's on ignore and my times here at BOL have become much more enjoyable without him being a psychic and knowing my intent before I do.

Return to Top
#714186 - 04/10/07 07:00 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: straw
So he may have misspoke, but he meant what he said?

No, he may have misspoke, which would mean he didn't mean what he said. AMLFella may have misunderstood Neo's intent, due to Neo's mistake, but he did not misunderstand the written words posted by Neo.

Return to Top
#714247 - 04/10/07 08:07 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I guess it is a good thing you always write cleary and correctly. We will all try better to live up to your standards of excellence.

Return to Top
#714263 - 04/10/07 08:16 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'd appreciate that. ::thhpppttt::

Return to Top
#714329 - 04/10/07 09:17 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: -J-
I'd appreciate that. ::thhpppttt::

Just try to patient with the mere mortals who post here. We can only try to live up to your standards, but invariably we will fail, as your intellect is so obviously superior.

Some compassion from such a superior intellect might be welcome.

Return to Top
#714335 - 04/10/07 09:31 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Welcome in one hand and ::thhpppttt:: in the other and see which one fills up faster.

Return to Top
#714339 - 04/10/07 09:40 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
what? Mere mortal can't understand.

Return to Top
#714351 - 04/10/07 09:59 PM Re: U.S. Marine/Former Iranian Hostage Speaks straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
That's ok.

Return to Top