Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#752906 - 06/14/07 12:41 PM Shaq's Big Challenge
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Has anyone seen the advertisements for this show? It looks really interesting. Shaq takes on childhood obesity. He helps several overweight kids by working with doctors to show them proper nutrition and exercise, then works with schools and communities to develop programs to fight childhood obesity. It premiers on ABC on June 26th and I am looking forward to watching it. The previews are really inspiring as the kids appear get the help and encouragement they need to overcome their problems.

I often wonder how different my life may have been had I not been told as a child that being overweight was hereditary and that I should just accept it or that because I had asthma that I couldn't participate in organized sports or athletic activities. It took me nearly 39 years to realize on my own that being overweight isn't something that I couldn't overcome and that exercise was not impossible for me.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#752910 - 06/14/07 12:51 PM Re: Shaq's Big Challenge thomasj
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sounds like a wonderful program. Although I don't often watch it, I enjoy the 'Biggest Loser'. Yes, it's another reality show but it seems to help a lot of people understand how to improve their health. Some of the people are amazing!

Return to Top
#752917 - 06/14/07 12:57 PM Re: Shaq's Big Challenge Skittles
anon2006 Offline
Platinum Poster
Sounds like a great thing that Shaq is doing...but why does it need to be another reality tv show? I am sooooo sick of reality tv

Plus...last time I heard, Shaq was working with the LAPD - or was that someone else?

Return to Top
#752940 - 06/14/07 01:18 PM Re: Shaq's Big Challenge anon2006
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I too was a littly iffy on the whole reality TV aspect of it, as with this subject matter it can be really good or go very bad. But, I think that it is currently the most effective way to get the message out. Skittles mentioned the show Biggest Loser, and I have to admit that watching those people transform themselves with diet and exercise DID inspire me and played a role in me chosing to make the changes I did last year.

Return to Top
#752969 - 06/14/07 01:40 PM Re: Shaq's Big Challenge thomasj
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
"Plus...last time I heard, Shaq was working with the LAPD - or was that someone else?"

He works with the Miami Beach PD.

Return to Top
#761915 - 06/27/07 12:37 PM Re: Shaq's Big Challenge MagicCity
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
So did anyone else catch this last night? Looks like it's going to be an interesting show. I feel so bad for those kids, and I really hope that they get the help that they need. It was kind of emotional for me, having been in their situation (obese/morbidly obese) myself less than 2 years ago.

I think it was interesting how they left the kids on their own in the gym to work out. They had to know what was going to happen there and I think it was to make a point that they need supervision and motivation. One of the things that struck me was the mother of one of the kids said "I can't help but think that some of this is my fault." Gee do ya think?

Return to Top
#762945 - 06/27/07 09:58 PM Re: Shaq's Big Challenge thomasj
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I thought Shaq's big challenge was making a free throw.

Return to Top