BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#763090 - 06/28/07 01:13 PM Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Our BOL Lawyers need to read this long article and opine. I have provided a few clips first {for Ron Mexico }

On May 30, in a decision of which the Guantanamo judges were no doubt well aware, a U.S. District court ordered the release of a Palestinian named Majed Talat Hajbeh. In Jordan, Hajbeh had been convicted of terrorism for, among other things, bombing an American school. (Which didn't stop him from running to the U.S. to hide out.) Picked up on an immigration charge, Hajbeh was held for four years while the U.S. searched for somebody willing to take him off our hands.

And on June 11, the umpire called, "strike three!" in the form of Al-Marri v. Wright. Ali Saleh Kahlah al-Marri is an easy match for Khadr and Hajbeh, a Qatari who trained at an Al-Qaeda camp, actually met 9/11 planner Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, and was sent to the U.S. to establish a sleeper cell to be activated for later terrorist strikes. The Fourth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals argued with none of that. Nor did they dispute the fact that Al-Marri is an enemy combatant, unlawful or otherwise. What they found was that, despite those unquestioned facts, the United States "lacks the authority" to hold Al-Marri, and, by extension, any other active terrorist.

So in under two weeks time, the judiciary of the United States has established that known international terrorists, bent on causing as much destruction within this country's borders as humanly possible, cannot be held at Guantanamo, cannot be held in U.S. prisons, and cannot be returned to the only countries that will accept them. Needless to say, the media, the academy, and the Democratic Party - collapsed institutions all - view this as a triumph.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/06/casting_terrorists_as_defender.html
Last edited by AMLFella; 06/28/07 01:14 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#763097 - 06/28/07 01:23 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Boy, by previous discussions on this topic. There should be a few happy BOL people today

Return to Top
#763099 - 06/28/07 01:23 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
based on your snippets, i think that the decision was wrong. but then again, i'm sure this right-wing blog hasn't taken any liberties with the facts.

Return to Top
#763111 - 06/28/07 01:29 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
If you read the article through, there is alot about judicial history and trends within from mid-century. If you only read my snippets, you lose so much of that. These should be particularly appealing to lawyers.

Return to Top
#763116 - 06/28/07 01:32 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i don't feel like reading the article.

(but i'm sure that i will end up doing so)

Return to Top
#763119 - 06/28/07 01:34 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Oh you will. So will Straw and Rainman, then we can get a good ol' fashioned debate going

Return to Top
#763332 - 06/28/07 03:07 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
sorry, I don't feel like playing, since Ron repeatedly refuses to read anything other than articles that he posts or that agree with his viewpoint.

I guess he is just afraid his beliefs might be shaken if he reads contrary opinions.

Return to Top
#763364 - 06/28/07 03:21 PM Re: Casting Terrorists as Defenders of th Constitution straw
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I read it but I think we are going to end up going round and round on the same debate we had a couple weeks back.

Return to Top