Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#804251 - 08/28/07 08:09 PM Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
U.S. Poverty Rate Drops 1st Time Since 2000

Oh, wait, that's good news about the current administration, they don't konw how to handle that...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#804265 - 08/28/07 08:18 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this HappyGilmore
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
jamie, I'm sure they're too busy fretting over the fact that (despite the lower poverty rate) the percentage of Americans without health insurance is at a record high.

Return to Top
#804277 - 08/28/07 08:24 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Becka Marr
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I think jamie may be a free-market kind of guy. If people with rising incomes don't have health insurance, it's their own fault, probably frittered their money away senselessly on food or housing.

Return to Top
#804291 - 08/28/07 08:32 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
probably frittered their money away senselessly on food or housing

nah, they donated it to the Clintons...see the thread from X that covers that...

Return to Top
#804297 - 08/28/07 08:38 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this HappyGilmore
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quotes from the NY Times report:

Quote:
Median household income rose slightly for the second consecutive year, by seven-tenths of a percent, but the only statistically significant increase was in white households.

Quote:
The West was the only region of the country to experience a drop in the number and percentage of people in poverty.

Quote:
The percentage of people who received health benefits through an employer declined to 59.7 percent in 2006 from 60.2 percent in 2005. The percentage of people with government-provided health insurance also dropped, to 27 percent from 27.3 percent.

Quote:
Mr. [David] Johnson [chief of the housing and household economic statistics division for the Census Bureau] warned that even as median household incomes climbed slightly last year, both men and women brought home less pay for the third consecutive year.

Return to Top
#804304 - 08/28/07 08:42 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Becka Marr
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
stats are what you make them, c'mon people you know that!

my household income went way down during this period when my son moved out with his full time pay, so now he is "in poverty" and you know that is a crock

another anectodal example: my dear mother is below the poverty level cause the stats don't cover social security and all the other transfer payments she receives

take all this with a grain of salt

Return to Top
#804314 - 08/28/07 08:47 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Pale Rider
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
ok if I read the numbers right the total number of people with healthcare is 86.7%, leaving people without healthcare at 13.3% Doesn't Michael Moore say it is closer to 44%?

Return to Top
#804322 - 08/28/07 08:52 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this kms
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
95% of people polled believe that 88.7% of statistics are incorrect

Return to Top
#804323 - 08/28/07 08:54 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this kms
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: kms
ok if I read the numbers right the total number of people with healthcare is 86.7%, leaving people without healthcare at 13.3% Doesn't Michael Moore say it is closer to 44%?

No, he said 44 million people, not 44%.

Return to Top
#804326 - 08/28/07 08:56 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Hrothgar Geiger
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
hey what is 44 million divided by 310 million?

you might be surprised

Return to Top
#804327 - 08/28/07 08:57 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Hrothgar Geiger
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

No, he said 44 million people, not 44%.

And now it's 47 million.

Return to Top
#804328 - 08/28/07 08:59 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Becka Marr
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Quick PR, what's 47 million divided by 310 million? You might be surprised....

Return to Top
#804373 - 08/28/07 09:23 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Becka Marr
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
Quotes from the NY Times report:

Quote:
Median household income rose slightly for the second consecutive year, by seven-tenths of a percent, but the only statistically significant increase was in white households.

Quote:
The West was the only region of the country to experience a drop in the number and percentage of people in poverty.

Quote:
The percentage of people who received health benefits through an employer declined to 59.7 percent in 2006 from 60.2 percent in 2005. The percentage of people with government-provided health insurance also dropped, to 27 percent from 27.3 percent.

Quote:
Mr. [David] Johnson [chief of the housing and household economic statistics division for the Census Bureau] warned that even as median household incomes climbed slightly last year, both men and women brought home less pay for the third consecutive year.

The old joke is, of course, that the NYT would run the headline: "World to End - Women, Minorities Hardest Hit". In that light, I love the part about how the only "significant" increase was in white households.

On another point, shouldn't it be a good thing that there are fewer people being provided government healthcare? This reminds me of the commercials I hear advertising WIC benefits. I'm paying taxes to advertise welfare?

Return to Top
#804390 - 08/28/07 09:28 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Jokerman
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
I love the part about how the only "significant" increase was in white households.

Yes, and I didn't even include the bit about the poverty rate dropping for Hispanics but remaining statistically unchanged for other racial/ethnic groups.

Quote:
On another point, shouldn't it be a good thing that there are fewer people being provided government healthcare?

Yes - theoretically - if it meant that they were able to obtain healthcare through employment, or some other means. (But I take it that is not the case here.)

Return to Top
#804394 - 08/28/07 09:30 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
I love the part about how the only "significant" increase was in white households.

It says "statistically significant". That is a mathematical term with a specific meaning.

Return to Top
#804402 - 08/28/07 09:37 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Yes, yes, confidence intervals and such. It's all very lovely.

Return to Top
#804421 - 08/28/07 09:57 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Hrothgar Geiger
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
I think jamie may be a free-market kind of guy. If people with rising incomes don't have health insurance, it's their own fault, probably frittered their money away senselessly on food or housing.

Or that new Gibson Les Paul!

Return to Top
#804490 - 08/28/07 10:49 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Hrothgar Geiger
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
"Quick PR, what's 47 million divided by 310 million? You might be surprised.... "

ok 6.8% Really that doesnt seem as bad then...(I know I know anyone without health insurance has only this admin to blame)

Return to Top
#804491 - 08/28/07 10:54 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this kms
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
How do you come up with 6.8%?

47/310 = .15

Return to Top
#804559 - 08/29/07 10:38 AM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this HappyGilmore
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: jamie foxx
U.S. Poverty Rate Drops 1st Time Since 2000

Oh, wait, that's good news about the current administration, they don't konw how to handle that...

I am sure it is a mistake. ::sticking out tongue::

Return to Top
#804650 - 08/29/07 01:37 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Retired DQ
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
out of the 47 million without health insurance:

11 million are eligible for government programs like SCHIP but chose not to participate

15 million are illegal aliens

and another 12 million make more than $60 thousand a year, all this according to a BC/BS study

so that leaves what, less than 10 million; and we need universal health care for this number?

what person in America cannot receive health care when needed?

Return to Top
#804681 - 08/29/07 02:07 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Becka Marr
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Sorry Becka, I was really tired and went the wrong way with it. I am a IT geek so I really only try to deal with ones and zeros...

Return to Top
#804696 - 08/29/07 02:17 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Pale Rider
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
The Blue Cross/Blue Shield study is interesting, in a "it's amazing what you can do with numbers and the right verb choices" sort of way.

11 million eligible for CHIP. Well, 'eligible for CHIP' means 'child under 18' (and there are income guidelines.) Darn those children for not enrolling themselves... . The most you can say is that 11 million eligible children are not enrolled in CHIP. It takes a certain philosophical bent to turn 'are not enrolled' into 'chose not to participate.'

Similarly, asserting that some folks have a particular income level and therefore could have health insurance assumes more facts than the study presents. Admittedly, they probably wasted their money on food and shelter instead of health insurance.

Return to Top
#804697 - 08/29/07 02:17 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this Pale Rider
mck401 Offline
Diamond Poster
Texas
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider

what person in America cannot receive health care when needed?

The person like my brother who was self employed, with a 2 kids to support, who had integrity and wasn't eligible for medical assitance because he wasn't a pregnant woman or a child, and couldn't find a doctor who would see him without insurance and ended up in the ER when his symptoms were so bad that it was too late to save his life.

Return to Top
#804877 - 08/29/07 03:46 PM Re: Why haven't the liberals jumped all over this kms
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Sorry Becka, I was really tired and went the wrong way with it.

Oh, no worries. lol

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2