Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#962463 - 05/21/08 02:31 AM Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
http://www.irs.princeton.edu/seminars/pdfs/Iyengar.pdf

Are insurgents affected by information on US casualty sensitivity? Using data on attacks and variation in access to international news across Iraqi provinces, we identify an “emboldenment” effect by comparing the rate of insurgent attacks in areas with higher and lower access to information about U.S news after public statements critical of the war. We find in periods after a spike in war-critical statements, insurgent attacks increases by 5-10 percent. The results suggest that insurgent groups respond rationally to expected probability of US withdrawal. As such counterinsurgency should consider deterrence and incapacitation rather than simply search and destroy missions.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#962480 - 05/21/08 11:36 AM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I am telling you all to read the lone survivor, at almost any action the military takes over there, they wonder how it is going to be reflected upon in the American Press and that should be the least of their concerns

Return to Top
#962605 - 05/21/08 02:15 PM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency kms
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
The NAVY SEALS in the unit that were killed actually considered the impact of the Liberal Media on their potential decision to eliminate the individual who was about to out them, and because they decided against it, all but one were slaughtered.

Hooray for the liberal media.

Now, back to the overall thread. These 2 Harvard Economists concluded based upon their research that media criticism of the war effort in Iraq has resulted in increased attacks by the insurgency against U.S. forces.

IMO, that implicates the likes of Keith Olberman, for his nonstop criticism of the war effort. So, just as he has targeted President Bush, members of his Admin (supposedly) and the Pentagon, for having blood on their hands, he must have alot of blood on his hands.

Hooray for Olberman and all those who look up to him. Hooray for NBC. (Uber SARCASM ICON).

Return to Top
#962783 - 05/21/08 04:33 PM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency TheManofSteel
buggs Offline
Power Poster
You know a problem I've had since the beginning of this whole "insurgency" thing began? I strongly object to the use of the term "insurgents." I think the correct term is "terrorists" or "criminals" or even "murderers" is more appropriate and accurate.

Return to Top
#962791 - 05/21/08 04:39 PM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency buggs
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
I guess I really have no problem with that Bugs, especially since it is not one organized body identifying the U.S. as unrighteous invaders and seeking to repel the U.S for that reason. But you could argue that AL Qaeda had instigated uprisings after the whole Mosque attack a few years back, and resulted in what is similar to an insurgency by very loosely related groups.

Return to Top
#962795 - 05/21/08 04:42 PM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I think insurgents is used strongly for those in Afghanistan, since we chased them all out the first couple of days, they are now insurgents trying to take back what they feel the american infidels stole.

Return to Top
#962797 - 05/21/08 04:45 PM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I am begging you please, someone on the left read the Lone Survivor. Just to see the war through the soldiers eyes and maybe whyI feel the way I do about protesting the CIC. It is not a long book, now out in paperback or you can get it on cd for 14.98. Please one of read it, and you all know who you are

Return to Top
#962837 - 05/21/08 05:25 PM Re: Harvard Study-Media Criticism Emboldens Insurgency kms
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Kori - they won't even open a thread that is titled to show negativity against their beliefs. However, rename this thread "Bush to blame for everything" and they will be all over it...like white on rice

Return to Top