Thread Options
#978648 - 06/20/08 01:24 AM Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/1024359.html

Excerpt:

WASHINGTON – If President Bush and Republican Sen. John McCain are expecting any support from California's top leaders for their plan to lift a ban on offshore drilling, it could be a long wait.

"California's coastline is an international treasure," Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said Wednesday. "I do not support lifting this moratorium on new oil drilling off our coast."

Ditto from the state's two Democratic senators, who are out to thwart the proposal. Sen. Barbara Boxer says all Bush wants to do is "drill, drill, drill." And Sen. Dianne Feinstein says the president has returned to "the mantra of drilling."

"Californians are all too familiar with the consequences of offshore drilling," Feinstein said. "An oil spill in 1969 off the coast of Santa Barbara killed thousands of birds, as well as dolphins, seals and other marine animals. And we know this could happen again."

Bush proposed to allow drilling off U.S. coastlines as part of a broader effort to boost oil supplies, but it's likely to go nowhere because of a reluctant Democratic-majority Congress.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#978679 - 06/20/08 12:33 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil TheManofSteel
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
And this is a surprise why?

Return to Top
#978708 - 06/20/08 01:07 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil redsfan
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
That's fine, because the whole idea behind ending the moratorium is to allow STATES to decide if they want to drill off their shores.

Return to Top
#978811 - 06/20/08 02:50 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil B_F
steven1950 Offline
Diamond Poster
steven1950
San Francisco
Yesterday, I learned that the federal government has already approved over ten thousand permits to drill for oil that have not been started by the oil companies. Further, only a very small percentage of the deep sea leases approved for exploration have been tested.

Finally, even if we did sink additional deep sea wells, there are not tankers to move the crude oil to the refineries as all of the world's tankers are booked years in advance.

Return to Top
#978813 - 06/20/08 02:52 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil steven1950
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
So, Steven, do you have any ideas on what to do?

Return to Top
#978816 - 06/20/08 02:54 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil MB Guy
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
So, Steven, do you have any ideas on what to do?
Tofu and patchouli power for everyone.

Return to Top
#978826 - 06/20/08 03:00 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil Blade Scrapper
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Does anyone remember 1969? I wasn't even born then, but I'm surprised anyone remembers the 60's.

Return to Top
#978832 - 06/20/08 03:02 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil BotV#6
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Apples and Oranges. Drilling technology was extremely primitive back then.

Return to Top
#979172 - 06/20/08 06:26 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil steven1950
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: steven1950
Yesterday, I learned that the federal government has already approved over ten thousand permits to drill for oil that have not been started by the oil companies. Further, only a very small percentage of the deep sea leases approved for exploration have been tested.

Finally, even if we did sink additional deep sea wells, there are not tankers to move the crude oil to the refineries as all of the world's tankers are booked years in advance.

Build more tankers. Isn't it amazing how the free market works?

Return to Top
#979186 - 06/20/08 06:42 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil Sound Tactic
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Visionary Harry

Build more tankers. Isn't it amazing how the free market works?

You mean if our people were allowed to build wells, they might build more refineries and more tankers?

Return to Top
#979344 - 06/20/08 08:13 PM Re: Dopeinator, Boxer, Feinstein Against Drilling4Oil steven1950
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Actually, you learned that there are over 10,000 leases that are in the exploration phase. Exploration, meaning they are being explored to see if there is enough oil to make it cost justified to drill. But I am sure the place you got this info from never mentioned that.

Return to Top