Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#627755 - 10/23/06 02:53 PM Barack Obama for President?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Barack Obama has changed his mind and now states he is considering a run for the presidency.

Washington Post and AP reports claim he is "a potentially viable centrist candidate".

Given the political environment in Washington it seems doubtful the democrats would want a centrist pushing their agenda preferring instead to have a very liberal president.

A centrist implies more bi-partisan governing and that goes against the grain of the liberal wing of the party that is still fuming over W's two terms and their inability to gain control of congress.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#627756 - 10/23/06 02:56 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Is it possible that they see him as a way to gain the votes of libertarians and disgruntled Republicans? I have to say that unless a "better" candidate is presented, our choices are looking pretty slim. Personally, as staunch an R as I am I'd consider him if it meant keeping the Hildabeast or McCain out.

Return to Top
#627757 - 10/23/06 03:09 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
ABH...Anyone but Hillary.

Return to Top
#627758 - 10/23/06 03:05 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Does anyone know anything about him? Seems like an intelligent guy, but what is his background?

Return to Top
#627759 - 10/23/06 03:29 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Unfortunately, I don't think he's a viable candidate for a couple of reasons.

Return to Top
#627760 - 10/23/06 03:24 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Obama Bio:
Community organizer, Chicago
Civil rights lawyer
Lecturer on constitutional law
Illinois state Senate 1997 - 2004
U.S. Senate 2005 - present
Bachelor's degree, Columbia
Law degree, Harvard, 1991

Prior to his address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention he was not really known outside of Illinois.

Return to Top
#627761 - 10/23/06 03:29 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Obama served in the Illinois State Senate from 1996-2004. In 2004, he won election to the U.S. Senate, becoming, at the time, 99th in seniority in the Senate.

Keep in mind that his first rival in the 2004 Senate race, Jack Ryan, withdrew partly because of allegations by his ex-wife. His replacement on the ballot, Alan Keyes, was nominated less than three months before the election.

So, Barack Obama has held national public office for less than two years, and his election came against decidely weak opposition. In 2000, he lost a primary campaign for the U.S. House of Representatives.

Frankly, given his lack of experience on the national stage, I don't see him as a viable candidate.

Return to Top
#627762 - 10/23/06 03:41 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:

one of which is his lack of experience in governing. Let him at least get a full Senate term under his belt before becoming a candidate.

Return to Top
#627763 - 10/23/06 03:47 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

one of which is his lack of experience in governing. Let him at least get a full Senate term under his belt before becoming a candidate.

That's one of the big ones.

Return to Top
#627764 - 10/23/06 03:49 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I agree that he does not have enough experience. I also don't belive that the US will be electing a female or black president any time soon. There are too many people with biases for either of those to happen, possibly in my lifetime.

Return to Top
#627765 - 10/23/06 03:46 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
The media has built this guy up to be the "rock star" of the Democratic party: young, charismatic, well spoken, well presented. I fear he has begun to believe his own press. And, with the withdrawal of Mark Warner, the field is less crowded.

I don't know that he brings much positive to the table. I think it is the lack of known negatives that makes him the repository of hope for many Democrats.

Return to Top
#627766 - 10/23/06 04:06 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Ah, but Oprah likes him! If she can get people to vote for a candidate the way she can get them to buy books....

Personal opinions aside, is Hilary considered a viable candidate in poles, etc.? McCain is scary and went up in smoke once already. Does he have a real chance the second time around?

Undoubtedly the outcome of next week's elections, not to mention the way people vote on a lot of the referendums out there (ex: WI reinstituting the death penalty), will shed a lot more light on who and what to expect in 2008.

Return to Top
#627767 - 10/23/06 04:35 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Is it possible that they see him as a way to gain the votes of libertarians and disgruntled Republicans?

I could see him gaining the votes of liberal Republicans, possibly. But why in the world would a libertarian vote for this fellow?

Return to Top
#627768 - 10/23/06 04:56 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I know quite a few people who would likely be termed libertarians by the folks posting in this forum AND even some self-described conservatives who like and respect Obama quite a lot. I very much like and respect the man myself. He's brilliant, ethical, principled, and understands what the words dignity and integrity mean... and he applies these concepts to both his personal and public life from everything I've seen. He also brings a lot of energy, enthusiasm, and determination to get things done (and to make a difference) to the table. Quite frankly, he's a breath of fresh air in politics, in my humble opinion. Yes, I'm in Illinois, and so I'm likely a lot more familiar with him than people nationwide might be. I'm not sure all those politicians who simply have more years of experience in politics are necessarily the better person for the job whatsoever. History teaches us that sometimes those with long years of political experience can end up being horrible leaders and sometimes those with comparatively little experience can turn out to be great. The next 2 years will be interesting to watch him, that's for sure. JMHO.

Return to Top
#627769 - 10/23/06 05:05 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:

and determination to get things done (and to make a difference

For tose of us not in Illinois and not familiar with him, can you tell us what he has done that would warrant us voting for him for president? I was listening to talk radio at lunch, and 3 different commentators (3 different shows) all said he lacks experience and has yet to do anything worthwhile.

A lot of people have determination to accomplish somehting, but follwoing thru and making sure it is accomplished is somehting different than just having determination.

Other than his DNC speech, he doesn't get much coverage in Louisiana.

Return to Top
#627770 - 10/23/06 05:12 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I'm closer than you, happy, and I haven't heard much about him other than how carismatic he is. I think we all had the same impression when he spoke at the DNC. Problem is, he hasn't had time to act on his convictions or make the contacts he'll need to run the country. Right now it appears he's got a lot of people pushing him but he's still not leading. He needs time to get to the forefront of his party, not just state, and then take the reins. While 2008 might not be his year, 2012 could easily be!

Return to Top
#627771 - 10/23/06 05:23 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Banker Cat Offline
Banker Cat
McAllen, TX
IF OPRAH LIKES HIM - I LIKE HIM. HAHAHAHA

Return to Top
#627772 - 10/23/06 05:40 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Quote:

For tose of us not in Illinois and not familiar with him, can you tell us what he has done that would warrant us voting for him for president? I was listening to talk radio at lunch, and 3 different commentators (3 different shows) all said he lacks experience and has yet to do anything worthwhile.

Sure. In his 7 years in the state senate, he worked tirelessly to get the Earned Income Tax Credit implemented, which has helped hundreds of thousands of working class families obtain tax breaks IF working instead of on welfare/aid. I'd think this was pretty worthwhile. He was absolutely instrumental in the work he did to pass laws in Illinois requiring law enforcement to videotape all criminal interrogations and confessions (this came after several convicted death-row inmates were found conclusively (DNA testing) to be NOT guilty, some had coerced confessions). He also worked as a vital part of groups getting new laws passed to enhance and extend early childhood education in Illinois.

He was a state senator for 7 years and has been a U.S. Senator since January 2005 (nearly 2 years). He's currently working on getting veterans the benefits they desparately need after faithfully serving our nation and becoming disabled in the process. I'd call that worthwhile, despite what any talk show hosts might say.

For comparison, let's take oh, say George W. Bush's political experience. When elected President in 2000, he had been governor of Texas from 1994 - 2000. Before that... umm... wait... what was there? Oh, yeah. A failed candidacy for the U.S. House of Representatives, in 1978. And then he owned a baseball team, but I wouldn't really call that political experience, would you?

So, it's somewhat incomprehensible to me how so many people seem to be talking about Obama's inexperience but GWB was said to be quite politically experienced. What did GWB do as governor that was so stunning and impressed everyone so much, again?
Last edited by MyBrainIsFull; 10/23/06 05:59 PM.

Return to Top
#627773 - 10/23/06 05:48 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

Quote:

and determination to get things done (and to make a difference

A lot of people have determination to accomplish somehting, but follwoing thru and making sure it is accomplished is somehting different than just having determination.

Other than his DNC speech, he doesn't get much coverage in Louisiana.

Still want to play the spelling/grammar game?

I'm just ribbing, btw, not trying to start a fight.

Return to Top
#627774 - 10/23/06 05:55 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
with the exception of "thru" (which, coincidentally is accepted as a shorthand spelling so you really can't hang your hat on that) those thing you highlighted were typos, not grammatical or spelling errors.

Return to Top
#627775 - 10/23/06 06:02 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Quote:

with the exception of "thru" (which, coincidentally is accepted as a shorthand spelling so you really can't hang your hat on that) those thing you highlighted were typos, not grammatical or spelling errors.

Gee, and you wonder why I have no interest in conversing with you. And FWIW, I know how to spell perceive, I just typed it wrong and didn't proofread my work. Now please explain the difference.

BTW Ron, of course, IS looking to start a fight.
Last edited by Sweetpeas; 10/23/06 06:03 PM.

Return to Top
#627776 - 10/23/06 06:09 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Quote:

Quote:

Sure. In his 7 years in the state senate, he worked tirelessly to get the Earned Income Tax Credit implemented, which has helped hundreds of thousands of working class families obtain tax breaks IF working instead of on welfare/aid. I'd think this was pretty worthwhile. He was absolutely instrumental in the work he did to pass laws in Illinois requiring law enforcement to videotape all criminal interrogations and confessions (this came after several convicted death-row inmates were found conclusively (DNA testing) to be NOT guilty, some had coerced confessions). He also worked as a vital part of groups getting new laws passed to enhance and extend early childhood education in Illinois.

Also as a state lawmaker, he introduced successful legislation for ex-prisoners who were guilty of just one felony get a certificate of rehabilitation and gain easier access to occupational licensing.

Return to Top
#627777 - 10/23/06 06:27 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I still don't think he's a viable candidate. I think he's a good man, but I don't think he's got what it takes to win this one and the Dems need to pick someone who actually has a chance at winning.

Return to Top
#627778 - 10/23/06 06:29 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

I know how to spell perceive, I just typed it wrong and didn't proofread my work. Now please explain the difference.

who took exception with that? not i. what difference am i to explain?

Quote:

BTW Ron, of course, IS looking to start a fight.

nope. just trying to hold people accountable.

Return to Top
#627779 - 10/23/06 06:31 PM Re: Barack Obama for President?
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
This is just the kind a plumber or electrician I would want to hire. One with 50 misdemeanor fraud charges and one with a felony ID theft conviction holding a certificate of rehabilitation.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6