Thread Options
#1081187 - 11/13/08 04:17 PM Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1081199 - 11/13/08 04:23 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
fasting for 3 years, that is quite a feat

Return to Top
#1081205 - 11/13/08 04:27 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Pale Rider
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Yes, especially the no water part.

Return to Top
#1081206 - 11/13/08 04:29 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Ready to Retire
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Kinda somehow reminds me of how people flock to see Benny Hinn.

Return to Top
#1081214 - 11/13/08 04:36 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn buggs
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Not that I consider myself a scholar of Buddhism, but I am more well-read on Buddhist teachings than most people of judaeo-Christian background. I find it interesting, and I believe they state this in the article, that anyone would believe Gautama would reincarnate, since the whole point is to become free of the cycle of death and rebirth and enter a state of nirvana. One who has become Buddha, or awakened, no longer falls back asleep, does not become unenlightened, etc. If that perosn was a Bodhisatva, this is one who is enlightened but delays nirvana for the sake of guiding others, they would not reincarnate, but rather would not die until mission is completed.

Return to Top
#1081216 - 11/13/08 04:38 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn TheManofSteel
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Good point, Fella. I think it comes down to the fact that people will believe what they want to believe and will think up reasons to explain away any apparent inconsistencies to their choosing what to believe.
Last edited by Bugs Bunny; 11/13/08 04:39 PM.
Return to Top
#1081230 - 11/13/08 04:55 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Bugs - much like any religion does with inconsistencies...which is where faith comes in to play

Return to Top
#1081243 - 11/13/08 05:08 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
but is there anything too difficult for the Bhuda?

Return to Top
#1081255 - 11/13/08 05:17 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
all joking aside, it is of course possible that this man is nonetheless a holy man with some significant purpose. Even though I profess Christianity, I do believe that there are holy people of other religious and spiritual traditions who, in some way beyond our conventional theological understanding, are fulfilling some portion of God's plan. And this is a pivotal time in spiritual history, so this man may be someone of particular significance. On the otherhand, he may be one of many false alarms too.

Return to Top
#1081258 - 11/13/08 05:20 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Giddy Gilmore
Bugs - much like any religion does with inconsistencies...which is where faith comes in to play

Of course. That kinda goes without saying. But do you disagree with my original comment?
Last edited by Bugs Bunny; 11/13/08 05:21 PM.
Return to Top
#1081271 - 11/13/08 05:31 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn buggs
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
ManofSteel - what happened to your Steelers this past week?

Return to Top
#1081279 - 11/13/08 05:40 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn pjs
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
I'll get off topic, but only for one post. The Steelers love to practice this form of play whereby they outplay another team but lose to that team in the end. They have been quite successful at it, as they have done it for years, and often resulting in irritated fans. They succeeded quite well in irritating me mad

Return to Top
#1081306 - 11/13/08 06:07 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn TheManofSteel
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
lol- good luck to them for the rest of season!

Return to Top
#1081321 - 11/13/08 06:17 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Originally Posted By: Giddy Gilmore

Of course. That kinda goes without saying. But do you disagree with my original comment?

the one about Benny Hinn? Sure, for unknown reasons people flock to him like crazies to a full moon...

as far as the "make stuff up to explain it", yes, people will do that as well

Return to Top
#1081392 - 11/13/08 07:09 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn TheManofSteel
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Originally Posted By: TheMANofSTEEL
all joking aside, it is of course possible that this man is nonetheless a holy man with some significant purpose. Even though I profess Christianity, I do believe that there are holy people of other religious and spiritual traditions who, in some way beyond our conventional theological understanding, are fulfilling some portion of God's plan. And this is a pivotal time in spiritual history, so this man may be someone of particular significance. On the otherhand, he may be one of many false alarms too.

You post is interesting as it seems to go against the Bible and Christianity. Romans 3:10 "...There is no one righteous, not even one. Romans 3:12 "All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

None of us are holy, the Bible makes that very clear. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. God requires us to be perfect but we have all broken his laws and will stand to be judged by God. We are in need of a Savior and that is Jesus.

Buddha boy is nothing more than a fallen person in need of a savior.

As for Benny Hinn, keep as far away from that false teacher (IMHO) as you can.

Return to Top
#1081396 - 11/13/08 07:10 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn TheManofSteel
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
I'll get off topic, but only for one post. The Steelers love to practice this form of play whereby they outplay another team but lose to that team in the end. They have been quite successful at it, as they have done it for years, and often resulting in irritated fans. They succeeded quite well in irritating me mad

As a Colts fan, I was happy with the outcome but I understand your frustration. We have seen it plenty this year with the Colts.

Return to Top
#1081399 - 11/13/08 07:12 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Creditcop
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Creditcop

You post is interesting as it seems to go against the Bible and Christianity. Romans 3:10 "...There is no one righteous, not even one. Romans 3:12 "All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one."

None of us are holy, the Bible makes that very clear. We have all sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. God requires us to be perfect but we have all broken his laws and will stand to be judged by God. We are in need of a Savior and that is Jesus.

Creditcop, not every statement about a person being "holy" is done so in the context of citing their justification or lack thereof before God. The quotes you make of scripture are within a specific context. My statement did not indicate that this young man, or anyone else for that matter, are free of sin or capable of justifying themselves before God. My post merely points out that there are people who are "holy" as in of a profound spiritual level of development, and that this young man may fit that description.

Return to Top
#1081409 - 11/13/08 07:17 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn TheManofSteel
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana

Creditcop, not every statement about a person being "holy" is done so in the context of citing their justification or lack thereof before God. The quotes you make of scripture are within a specific context. My statement did not indicate that this young man, or anyone else for that matter, are free of sin or capable of justifying themselves before God. My post merely points out that there are people who are "holy" as in of a profound spiritual level of development, and that this young man may fit that description.

I guess your definition of holy and mine are just different.

Return to Top
#1081422 - 11/13/08 07:23 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Creditcop
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
and there are religions that are not based on Christianity and offer a differing opinion...

Return to Top
#1081424 - 11/13/08 07:25 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Creditcop
A_G Offline
10K Club

Typical. Christianity is the supreme.

You know, it's not like Buddhism is a few thousand (give or take some decades, of course) years older than Christianity.

imo, that's what's wrong with the organzied Chrsitian religion as a whole. It thinks it's better than everyone and everything else, including those things that existed before it.

For the record, I think people can believe in any religion, supernatural being, whatever, that they want to believe.

But a religion that comes across as almost holier than thou - no pun - (ie - who are the Christians to say that Buddha is a fallen one? Tends to look like they are putting themselves above) just doesn't sit well with me.

Again, believe what you want, but organized Christian religion as we know it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Return to Top
#1081429 - 11/13/08 07:27 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Creditcop
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
9 out of 10 times, if I am using the word "holy" I am referring to it moreso in the original understanding tht God is One, "whole" unfragmented, which gives rise to the understanding of "sin" which is unholy, fragmented or broken. In that sense, I wholeheartedly agree, everyone is broken away from God due to sin, otherwise why believe in a Savior.

But sometimes I utilize the word in a manner that the context further defines it. The idea being that if a person is of a profound spiritual development, they are closer to being "whole" thus the term "holy."

My belief is that no matter who it is, if that person has attained any level of spiritual good, it must be somehow related to the outpouring of grace through Christ, even if that person does not know it. I would not attribute moral good to any other source.

Return to Top
#1081430 - 11/13/08 07:27 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn Creditcop
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...

Wow....this is a bit judgemental, isn't it? Just because someone's beliefs are different from yours that makes them inherently wrong and therefore in need of 'saving'? eek Yipes......

Return to Top
#1081436 - 11/13/08 07:28 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn RR Becca
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Becca

Wow....this is a bit judgemental, isn't it? Just because someone's beliefs are different from yours that makes them inherently wrong and therefore in need of 'saving'? eek Yipes......

See my post, Becca! smile

Return to Top
#1081438 - 11/13/08 07:29 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn A_G
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

You know, it's not like Buddhism is a few thousand (give or take some decades, of course) years older than Christianity.

imo, that's what's wrong with the organzied Chrsitian religion as a whole. It thinks it's better than everyone and everything else, including those things that existed before it.

For the record, I think people can believe in any religion, supernatural being, whatever, that they want to believe.

But a religion that comes across as almost holier than thou (ie - who are the Christians to say that Buddha is a fallen one? Tends to look like they are putting themselves above) just doesn't sit well with me.

Again, believe what you want, but organized Christian religion as we know it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Well said, AG.

Return to Top
#1081484 - 11/13/08 08:02 PM Re: Thousands Flock to See Buddha Reborn RR Becca
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

But a religion that comes across as almost holier than thou (ie - who are the Christians to say that Buddha is a fallen one? Tends to look like they are putting themselves above) just doesn't sit well with me.

Well said, AG.

Of course people are free to believe in what they want to, I never said othewise. I said that we all are fallen (actually the Bible says that).

I didn't say Christianity is the only way----Jesus did. You are free to disagree.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8