Thread Options
#1202934 - 06/17/09 08:05 PM The Battle for Banking's Future
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
from ABA "breaking news" today:
Regulatory Restructuring: the Battle for Banking's Future

President Obama has proposed a sweeping overhaul of financial services regulation. The plan is unprecedented in scope and includes some elements ABA has been advocating for the past year and many others that ABA strenuously opposes.

(We're from the guvmit and we're here to help you) NOT

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1202940 - 06/17/09 08:09 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future Quadspapa
A_G Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
#1202945 - 06/17/09 08:12 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future A_G
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
It's funny that the Federal Reserve is his choice as overseer, considering it's a private company owned by member banks and not a federal agency at all. *Shakes head*

Return to Top
#1202946 - 06/17/09 08:13 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future FBH
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
It's like Bernie Madoff advising the SEC on policy all over again...

Return to Top
#1203018 - 06/17/09 08:57 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future FBH
Phoenix Offline
Platinum Poster
Phoenix
southeast
BOL moderators, we may need to start a thread on this outside of the Cooler. A few of my first impressions:

1. All of the new oversight councils and agencies, notably CPFA, merely ADD TO the existing regulatory burden; there’s nothing said about HUD relinquishing its mortgage oversight role, or FTC relinquishing its privacy/unfair practices role, etc. CPFA is simply ANOTHER layer of regulation.
2. This over-reaching into enforcement areas generally handled by the states, notably mortgage brokers and insurance, is probably unconstitutional – probably not a useful argument except to say that if legislation includes too much over-reaching, it will probably be subject to lengthy legal action.
3. The international stuff sounds nice to the average voter, but – most international financial activity done in the US is already subject to our regulations, and the rest of the proposal is better handled outside of this reform package and negotiated as a treaty for later ratification.

The ABA seems to be spearheading the lobbying, but we BOLers may wish to discuss this further, here and elsewhere....

Return to Top
#1203022 - 06/17/09 08:59 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future Phoenix
Buccs Offline
Power Poster
Ohio
Yep- and the ABA seems to concede the OTS and the thrift charter. Thanks for protecting community thrifts!
Last edited by buccs_117; 06/17/09 09:01 PM.
Return to Top
#1203025 - 06/17/09 09:03 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future Buccs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Does anyone really believe that doing this will reduce the regulatory burden? If so, I've got a bridge you might be interested in... smile

Return to Top
#1203073 - 06/17/09 09:43 PM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future buggs
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Does anyone really believe that doing this will reduce the regulatory burden? If so, I've got a bridge you might be interested in... smile

Decrease? I thought the goal was to increase regulatory burden. Democrats have always increased regulatory burden under their watch. There's nothing new about this.

Return to Top
#1203136 - 06/18/09 11:06 AM Re: The Battle for Banking's Future B_F
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Phoenix,

You are welcome to start such a discussion, perhaps in the General Discussion forum within the Bankers Forums.

Thank you.

Return to Top