Thread Options
#1324202 - 01/13/10 09:41 PM Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
This is totally awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=tE_5eiYn0D0#t=109

It ties in a 3D simulation, cockpit camera simulation, altimeter and airspeed indicator simulations, transcripts of the cockpit voice recorder, and the audio file from Air Traffic Control. You have to watch it two or three times to take it all in, especially the cockpit dialog between Sully and the first officer – no audio, you just have to watch the text boxes.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1324249 - 01/13/10 10:13 PM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching RVFlyboy
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
Very cool! Capt. Sully is a true hero.

Return to Top
#1324916 - 01/14/10 08:06 PM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching KC Danimal
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
It may only be appealing to aviation geeks like me, but I thought this was WAY more interesting than "Pants on the ground, pants on the ground. Lookin' like a fool with yo' pants on the ground."
Last edited by CessnaFlyboy; 01/14/10 08:08 PM.

Return to Top
#1324925 - 01/14/10 08:17 PM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching RVFlyboy
MB Guy Online
10K Club
Way, way south.
CFB, I haven't watched it yet (I hesitate to watch youtube stuff at work), but I plan to.

That guy is a REAL Hero, unlike someone who gets all kinds of accolades for doing nothing, really, except speak from a teleprompter pretty well.

This man should be heralded for his great skill and humility.

Return to Top
#1324987 - 01/14/10 09:14 PM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching MB Guy
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I watched this last night. Pretty amazing. He kept his cool, never paniced. I was getting madd at the Air traffic controller who could not seem to get the point, they had no engines and could not go to another air port.

The one controller saying something after a while like, "UH, I think he said he has lost his engines"

I liked the Sully's comment, "We will be in the Hudson"

Return to Top
#1325121 - 01/15/10 02:33 AM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching DD Regs
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
TLC is running a show called "Brace for Impact" where they supposedly have Sully flying in a helicopter down the Hudson and giving his recollections. I recorded it last night but haven't watched it yet. I've heard from other pilots that it is very good.

Return to Top
#1325122 - 01/15/10 03:31 AM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching RVFlyboy
SunnyT Offline
Diamond Poster
SunnyT
Sandy Beach - Florida
Amazing. I'd like Sully for my pilot when I fly again.

Return to Top
#1325405 - 01/15/10 05:02 PM Re: Totally Cool 3D Sim of the Hudson River Ditching SunnyT
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
That was pretty cool to watch. I sent it on to my BIL who will probably watch it a zillion times.

Thanks, Jim.

Return to Top