BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1317080 - 01/04/10 07:44 PM 50th Anniversary suggestions needed
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My parents will be celebrating their 50th anniversary in March. They honestly never thought that they would reach this milestone - they had both been married previously. Mom is 85 and dad is 88.

My sister and I are trying to figure out what to do. They don't belong to a church any longer and I don't know what restaurants locally rent out space - or something like that. And I live 2 hours away, but I have siblings that live there.

Does anyone have any suggestions. They certainly won't want us to spend a fortune, but this is something that most people never thought they would reach.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1317090 - 01/04/10 07:49 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Skittles
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Cater a nice small dinner for friends and family at their house. Arrive a day or so early to help set things up/clean, then let them enjoy their day in the comfort of home, surrounded by loved ones.

That's what I would want.

Return to Top
#1317101 - 01/04/10 07:54 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed YosemiteSamIAm
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Or host an open house at their home for their family and friends... Perhaps a Sunday afternoon so people can freely come and go as their time pleases, and serve hor d'ouvers (sp) and drinks... a little easier, a little cheaper, and the traffic will be a little easier, on them and their home.

Return to Top
#1317115 - 01/04/10 08:02 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed #Just Jay
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
^^^^ Agreed. A nice Come and Go from 2 - 4 in the afternoon on a Saturday or Sunday at their house or the home of a sibling, unless you can rent a small room somewhere. A nice table set up with a cake and some finger foods. Send out invites and have a corsage for mom and a boutinthingy for dad to wear. You'll want a place for Mom and Dad to be able to sit down. Get a book for guests to sign.

Return to Top
#1317119 - 01/04/10 08:05 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed HRH Okie Banker
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Okie Banker
You'll want a place for Mom and Dad to be able to sit down.

someplace condusive to picture taking, so there is room around them for people to pose with them.

Return to Top
#1317121 - 01/04/10 08:07 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed HRH Okie Banker
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Gift Suggestions to Make for Your 50th Anniversary:

Got the below by googling Skittles:

(All the suggestions use gold since that is the theme of the 50th...)

Put together a CD with songs from the era of the marriage date.

Create a poem, write it in gold ink, and display it in a gold colored frame.

Put together a family quilt comprised of each square done by a family member or close friends.

Make a wish tree. You can use a big branch that you paint gold and decorate with gold ribbons, ornaments etc. Fill the branches with pictures of major events in your life, people who love and cherish you as well as tickets for a trip, travelers checks, gift certificates for different events and restaurants you could use on a trip, etc.
Assemble a memory photo album with pictures highlighting 50 years together. Include the wedding, children, grandchildren, friends, trips taken together, homes lived in, etc. A nice addition is to include stories from children and friends.

Time Capsule Ideas for Your 50th Anniversary:

Fact Monster
New York Times
Info Please
History channel
On This Day
Movies by Years

Return to Top
#1317124 - 01/04/10 08:08 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed #Just Jay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
for my grandparents 50th, they rented a reception hall and it was a huge celebration (they have 8 kids, over 40 grandkids, great-grandkids number in the teens).

For their 60th, immediate family only (still over 60 of us) did lunch at their favorite restaurant.

Both of them followed a mass in their honor.

Return to Top
#1317202 - 01/04/10 08:50 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed HappyGilmore
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
We actually know quite alot of couples who have celebrated 50ths, including both my sets of grandparents and both my parents and my inlaws. The golden anniversary is nothing about material gifts and all about people and memories. Invite the people important to them and ask each to bring something - a picture of them they cherish, a good story, a "family trivia" question. This is a real important event for family members to make a point of attending in person if it is at all possible - pool together funds to bring someone who is too far away to usually make family gatherings, for instance. Design a commemorative t-shirt, or create a faux newspaper with front-page headline. The more "thought" put into the event, the more successful it will be.

Return to Top
#1317219 - 01/04/10 09:05 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed DEL
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Since my brother is a graphic artist, the newspaper thing is a good idea. Actually, they are all good ideas. Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

My sister and I have been e-mailing quite a bit today and I think we're getting a good grip on this.

Return to Top
#1317225 - 01/04/10 09:08 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Skittles
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
let us know what you decide and how it goes!

Return to Top
#1320426 - 01/07/10 09:58 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed #Just Jay
Trees Offline
Power Poster
For our parents' 50th we rented a room in a nice (but not stuffy) restaurant. family and couple friends (still alive). Got them a gift cert to have their 50th anni. photo taken. wE ALL GOT ONE AND i LOVE IT DEARLY (tHEY HAVE SINCE PASSED AWAY). Gave them an album of fav. family photos. Gave them a "tree" and on the branches we put $20. bills for them as "leaves" on the tree - to use as they wish. (Too fragile to tRAVEL FAR, ETC. LET THEM DO AS THEY WISH).

Return to Top
#1320519 - 01/07/10 11:08 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Trees
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
For my parents 50th I contacted as many of their friends, new and old, and asked them to send cards, poems, letters etc to me. I put them all in a large scrapbook and they loved them. Wanted to know how I contacted so many people. I also then made them a family tree cross-stitch that I now have in my house since they are both gone now. You have lots of good ideas here but the best is the reminder that this is not about material things but about memories and family & friends.

Return to Top
#1320556 - 01/08/10 12:37 AM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed corkygirl
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Well, we've decided on the date and I think the place. A long time acquaintance of the entire family <went to school with sister, son went to school with my son, lives across the street from my parents> has a room that normally rents for about $975 and they're going to rent it to us for $425 - includes set up, tables, chairs, centerpieces and CLEANUP!! Next, I contact a friend of mine that caters. Just cake and finger foods. We've still got a lot to do, but it's coming together.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and ideas. I will re-visit this thread in about a month when it gets closer. I'm also thinking about putting something in the local paper announcing it.

Return to Top
#1320560 - 01/08/10 12:43 AM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Skittles
StarryNight Offline
100 Club
USA
For my grandparents' 50th wedding anniversary they renewed their vows. The vow renewal was short and sweet, but really special.

Return to Top
#1357941 - 03/16/10 12:21 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed StarryNight
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The anniversary party is this weekend. Unfortunately dad is not doing well physically. He was in the hospital the weekend before last for a heart issue and now he's in intense pain in his leg. They thought it was vascular but after going to have a test done last Friday it's thought to be either a nerve issue or skeletal. Hoping to get him feeling MUCH better before Saturday. My husband and I are going up on Thursday night and my sister and I are preparing all of the food on Friday. Since the 'open house' is from 2-4 we're only having small sandwiches, cheese, fruit, veggies, and dips - along with cake, brownies and cookies.

We did put the article in the paper with their wedding photo <retouched by my brother to remove the bags from under mom's eyes>. I really think my parents are tickled about all of this. My brother and sister sent out the invitations and my sister even used wedding ring stamps.

I'm excited that all of this is coming together so well. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

Return to Top
#1357944 - 03/16/10 12:26 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Skittles
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Have fun Skittles. I hope all goes well and that dad feels better.

Return to Top
#1358145 - 03/16/10 04:11 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Snow Bunny
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
sounds wonderful Duchess; enjoy every moment...you just never know.....

Return to Top
#1358161 - 03/16/10 04:24 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Pale Rider
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Lately with dad <88 years old>, you're right. Actually it's the same with anyone - we never know what's going to happen tomorrow.

Return to Top
#1358177 - 03/16/10 04:40 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Skittles
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
So glad that things are coming together so well and I'm sure your parents will enjoy the day. Even your dad, no matter how he feels physically I would think the party and family and well wishes will help him a lot. Celebrate like there is no tomorrow and just enjoy.

My husbands two nieces threw a surprise 40th Anniversary Party for their parents (hubby's sis and bil) in February. She is going through all the tests for a kidney transplant so everyone wanted to help them celebrate this one just in case she doesn't make it to their 50th. (not that anyone said that outloud but the feeling was still there) We flew in for the surprise and it was wonderful. Celebrate when ya can with those you love cause no one knows what tomorrow will bring.

Return to Top
#1358203 - 03/16/10 05:12 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed corkygirl
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
Sounds like a great party. Enjoy it - there'll be plenty of time later to worry about your Dad.

Return to Top
#1358281 - 03/16/10 06:17 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed hmdagal
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I know that you and your family and friends will have a wonderful time. Prayers on your dads health and that he feels well enough to enoy the day.

We went to a 50th just this last weekend of a relation of my husbands. The hubby of the happy couple sat in a chair the entire time, for health reason, and his wife stood next to him. I have to say that those two were just glowing, having all their children and friends and family around. We got to hear alot of great stories. It was so wonderful because his health hasn't been good for a while now.

I just know they are going to have a great time over the next few days going thru the huge stack of cards they received and reading the guest book and sharing more memories.

Return to Top
#1361413 - 03/21/10 05:29 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed HRH Okie Banker
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Party was Saturday and was wonderful. My husband and brother had to take my father's recliner down. There is no way he would have been able to sit on a regular chair for more than 2 hours - too much pain.

Thanks for everyone's support and ideas. now I'm trying to get my house back to normal and rest. We're exhausted, but pleased.

Return to Top
#1361534 - 03/22/10 02:08 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Skittles
madukes Offline
Diamond Poster
madukes
Flyers Country
glad to hear everything went well!

Return to Top
#1361539 - 03/22/10 02:11 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed madukes
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
smile
Same here Skittles! Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

Return to Top
#1361786 - 03/22/10 05:49 PM Re: 50th Anniversary suggestions needed Snow Bunny
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Glad to hear that it was a success! Cheers to them! smile

Return to Top