Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1381549 - 04/26/10 06:38 PM Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!!
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Awesome news! "The Phillies have signed first baseman Ryan Howard to a five-year, $125 million contract extension, a person close to Howard has told Phillies insider Jim Salisbury. The extension will kick in starting in 2012 and will go through 2016."

It's nice to know the Big Piece will be around a little while longer...But I think that means Werth is gone at the end of the season. We'll see.

Go Phils!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1381552 - 04/26/10 06:38 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
Nice. He's really stepped up defensively. It'd be nice to keep both though.

Return to Top
#1381558 - 04/26/10 06:44 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Blind Guardian
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Isn't Werth repped by Boras?

Return to Top
#1381560 - 04/26/10 06:46 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! straw
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
No idea.

Return to Top
#1381574 - 04/26/10 06:57 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Blind Guardian
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Not sure. According to Cot's Baseball Contracts, he's not represented.

Return to Top
#1381585 - 04/26/10 07:12 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
Congrats, FBH! Good guy and a great player so enjoy him for a while longer!

just out of curiosity was there ever any truth to the Pujols for Howard trade rumor? Being a Phils fan I'm guessing you have some insight...
Last edited by Confused Banker; 04/26/10 07:12 PM.
Return to Top
#1381603 - 04/26/10 07:28 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Confused Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
well, this gives me an understanding of what it will take to re-sign Prince Fielder..............I'm sure he will look good in the uniform of whatever team the Brewers trade him to

Return to Top
#1381611 - 04/26/10 07:40 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Peepers
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
Originally Posted By: Peepers
well, this gives me an understanding of what it will take to re-sign Prince Fielder..............I'm sure he will look good in the uniform of whatever team the Brewers trade him to

At least you can assume it won't be the Yankees with the money they are paying to Tex. Actually who am I kidding - I wouldn't put it past them to pay that much for a DH!

Return to Top
#1381617 - 04/26/10 07:43 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Confused Banker
Peepers Offline
10K Club
and that's assuming we actually trade him instead of letting him leave via free agency

Return to Top
#1381638 - 04/26/10 08:06 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Peepers
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Don't true Phillie Phans think Howard strikes out too much?

Return to Top
#1381657 - 04/26/10 08:35 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Confused Banker
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Confused Banker
Congrats, FBH! Good guy and a great player so enjoy him for a while longer!

just out of curiosity was there ever any truth to the Pujols for Howard trade rumor? Being a Phils fan I'm guessing you have some insight...

Only rumors - nothing was ever confirmed by the Phillies front office. It had legs because both their contracts were coming up for renewal and Howard's from St. Louis.

DSchrute - He strikes out a lot, but he still puts up solid numbers, and this year his defense has been a HUGE plus. That said, I may still grumble as he approaches 200 strike outs for the year...But it doesn't mean I don't love him as a player. He carries this team come September.

Return to Top
#1381668 - 04/26/10 08:38 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
He does stirke out more than most. However, when he connects, he is far more likely to get on base that most players. So he takes a somewhat high riosk/high reward approach to batting, and it works.

IMO, his defensive play has always been his weakness. But as noted above, there has been some improvement there.

Return to Top
#1381716 - 04/26/10 09:10 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: FBH

Only rumors - nothing was ever confirmed by the Phillies front office. It had legs because both their contracts were coming up for renewal and Howard's from St. Louis.

DSchrute - He strikes out a lot, but he still puts up solid numbers, and this year his defense has been a HUGE plus. That said, I may still grumble as he approaches 200 strike outs for the year...But it doesn't mean I don't love him as a player. He carries this team come September.

I wonder what Lloyd's charged for a five-year policy on those knees holding up under all that...er...mass?

Pujols for Howard? And the question is whether there was anything to it? Let me explain something to you about St. Louis - they're about as likely to trade Pujols as they are Stan Musial, who has been retired now for almost 50 years. His identification, for the next ten or so years playing, and then throughout all of history, is worth more to the franchise than two Ryan Howards.

Howard may be from St. Louis, but, right now, Albert Pujols is St. Louis.

Just my opinion, though...

Return to Top
#1381732 - 04/26/10 09:23 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Jokerman
Peepers Offline
10K Club
why didn't you eliminate them Albert?

shut up

Return to Top
#1381738 - 04/26/10 09:25 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Jokerman
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Originally Posted By: FBH

I wonder what Lloyd's charged for a five-year policy on those knees holding up under all that...er...mass?

Pujols for Howard? And the question is whether there was anything to it? Let me explain something to you about St. Louis - they're about as likely to trade Pujols as they are Stan Musial, who has been retired now for almost 50 years. His identification, for the next ten or so years playing, and then throughout all of history, is worth more to the franchise than two Ryan Howards.

Howard may be from St. Louis, but, right now, Albert Pujols is St. Louis.

Just my opinion, though...

I agree. I don't know how you'd give up Pujols. Best postion player in the game right now. Period.

Return to Top
#1381759 - 04/26/10 09:57 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
I didn't think the Pujols for Howard deal made any sense either but for a rumor it seemed to linger for a while. I'm not a fan of either team but I was hoping that both would stay put.
Last edited by Confused Banker; 04/26/10 09:59 PM.
Return to Top
#1381789 - 04/26/10 11:29 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Confused Banker
buggs Offline
Power Poster
The cynics in St. Louis think Pujols will eventually be traded because he will just be too expensive to keep and to pay just to keep him in StL will only hurt the long term outlook for the team. So, to some it comes down to will he be treated like Stan the Man, or will the team (excuse me, I mean profits) be more important.

I don't necessarily agree with this assessment, but there are many that do.
Last edited by Buggs; 04/26/10 11:31 PM.
Return to Top
#1381891 - 04/27/10 02:25 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! buggs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
These are the same people who said StL wouldn't sign Holliday. The team is going to pay to keep Pujols and Pujols is going to stay in StL. Both have too much to lose.

Return to Top
#1381934 - 04/27/10 02:49 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Jokerman
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I would think that St. Louis fans would riot if Pujols is left to sign somewhere else or traded at this point in his career.

Us Milwaukee fans may be able to accept Prince leaving because I think ultimately he's destined to be an AL DH. Prince is a good hitter and all but Pujols is on another level from everyone else. It would be next to impossible to replace him in the lineup.

Return to Top
#1381961 - 04/27/10 03:02 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Peepers
Confused Banker Offline
Gold Star
The rumor of the Pujols trade and the fear that the Cards might let him walk are all driven by how much he'll make. But I don't recall the Cards being a penny-pinching organization and they are certainly a big draw at home. Are their legit financial concerns with them that they can't afford Pujols? Or is the thought that they just don't want to give anyone A-Rod type money?

Return to Top
#1382002 - 04/27/10 03:23 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Confused Banker
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
If Howard and Texeira are worth $25MM/year, than what is Pujols worth? He is far and away better than those two and A-Rod. But who can pay him $30, $35MM per year. The Yankees have seats selling for two grand and beers for $12. Can they do that in St. Louis?

I'm glad the Phillies were able to keep Howard because I don't like all of the top players ending-up in NY or Boston. But at that price, what happens in three years when he's striking-out 200+ times and only hitting 25 homers, and the Phillies aren't making the play-offs because they can't afford to keep Halliday, or Utley, or Rollins, and they start charging $10 for a beer and $30 for parking. The Phillie Phans will be uglier than ever.

Return to Top
#1382051 - 04/27/10 03:57 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Bankster
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: DSchrute
The Phillie Phans will be uglier than ever.

How so? Only the rich and good looking would be able to afford to go to the game...

This is an overall good deal in my eyes. Howard gets guaranteed security, and the Phillies get budget certainty, which may allow them to negotiate to keep Werth.

It's really a moot point though, since civilization will end in 2012 - Howard's locked up until the END. wink laugh

Return to Top
#1382190 - 04/27/10 05:48 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
Blind Guardian Offline
Platinum Poster
How old is Pujols?

Return to Top
#1382334 - 04/27/10 07:09 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! Blind Guardian
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Blind Guardian
How old is Pujols?

30 - same as Howard. But Pujols has had back problems...Just sayin' wink

Return to Top
#1382406 - 04/27/10 08:01 PM Re: Ryan Howard signs 5-year contract extension!! FBH
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Pujols has been on the DL once in ten years.

Dschrute - how much is he worth? I'd say he'll wind up signing for eight years for $250MM. Or they'll structure some sort of "lifetime" contract. Can they do that in StL? I suppose - they certainly wouldn't have given Holliday the money they did if they didn't think they were going to be able to pony up for Pujols. If the Cards were to let him walk, I just can't imagine what the reaction would be. Old Testament, wrath of God type stuff...fire and brimstone falling from the skies, the Missippi River might boil...forty years of darkness, earthquakes and volcanoes...the dead rising from the grave...Cub fan sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2