Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1421978 - 07/30/10 01:58 PM Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/entertainment/2010/06/10/vintage-ads-thinking/#slide=1

The first one cracked me up!!!
And the vitamins one explains my grandpa's feeling about housework! smile

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1421993 - 07/30/10 02:22 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? QCL
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
I will have to try the pancake batter over the bacon, that actually looks good.

And Tipalet...sooooooo wrong.

Boy did the woman take a beating back then.

Blatz for the wife and baby, who knew.

Return to Top
#1422013 - 07/30/10 02:54 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? DD Regs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
That "onsie" for a man ad has some interesting text.... eek

Man, the 70's were weird.

Return to Top
#1422017 - 07/30/10 03:02 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? DD Regs
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I had forgotten how much we used to advertise cigarettes. And all of the wonderful things they were supposed to do. And more doctors recommended a certain brand??????? How times have changed.

And the Blatz for the wife and baby, what was that all about?????

Return to Top
#1422018 - 07/30/10 03:03 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? DD Regs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
My favorite was the Schlitz.

Return to Top
#1422045 - 07/30/10 03:27 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? Jokerman
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...

Return to Top
#1422054 - 07/30/10 03:35 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? Mrs. Rizzo
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I'm pretty sure #50 would get someone killed these days...

Return to Top
#1422061 - 07/30/10 03:43 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? Mrs. Rizzo
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
"Let Pall Mall say 'Merry Christmas' for you." eek

Return to Top
#1422080 - 07/30/10 03:56 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? GuitarDude
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
I really don't see the "what were we thinking" for most of these. It was a different time. Women enjoyed the role of the housewife and mother, and men could afford to be the only ones bringing home the bacon. Thanks to our economy, we now live in a world where most families need two incomes.

How is the Tiparillo ad any different than most of our beer ads? It's selling sex.

I think a modified version of the Schlitz "Don't Worry Honey, You Didn't Burn the Beer" ad would work today. Just update it, it is brilliant! For a modern version, have a husband trying to cook for his wife on a special day and let her smile, order a pizza and say the exact same thing.

Return to Top
#1422195 - 07/30/10 05:38 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? B_F
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: B_F
It was a different time. Women enjoyed the role of the housewife and mother...

Just because they wore a smile and pearls doesn't mean they enjoyed it... while I am sure some truly enjoyed the roles (as do many today) for many, it was their place, not their desire.

Return to Top
#1422203 - 07/30/10 05:50 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? B_F
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: B_F
I really don't see the "what were we thinking" for most of these. It was a different time. Women enjoyed the role of the housewife and mother,

My grandmother would disagree with you there. She made it very clear that she did the housewife routine because she was supposed to, not because it was what she really wanted.

Return to Top
#1422239 - 07/30/10 06:24 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? RR Becca
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
B_F .... you really have a messed up outlook on things.

Return to Top
#1422241 - 07/30/10 06:29 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? cheekEE
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Boy, I wonder what you all think of Sharia Law if someone ever tried to institute it here....hmmmmm........

Return to Top
#1422326 - 07/30/10 07:30 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? MB Guy
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Boy, I wonder what you all think of Sharia Law if someone ever tried to institute it here....hmmmmm........

??

Return to Top
#1422332 - 07/30/10 07:34 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? MB Guy
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: MB Guy

mad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia

Just a snippet and I am guessing that this is what you are talking about:
However, under (strict interpretation of) Sharia Law, women are required to cover all of their bodies except hands and face. The rationale given for these rules is that men and women are not to be viewed as sexual objects. Men are required to keep their guard up and women to protect themselves. In theory, should either one fail, the other prevents the society from falling into fitna (temptation or discord).

Return to Top
#1422340 - 07/30/10 07:39 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? QCL
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
BTW - one read of the book A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini gave a great deal of insight insight on how some justify the oppression/beating/starvation of women on the basis of Sharia law.

Return to Top
#1422370 - 07/30/10 08:06 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? QCL
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Although, the more my 13 yr old matures, the more I agree with the concept of a burqa. eek crazy smirk

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1422391 - 07/30/10 08:19 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? B_F
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Thanks to our economy, we now live in a world where most families need two incomes.

this has nothing to do with the economy and everything to do with the desire to accumulate "stuff"...everyone needs the best car, newest phone, expensive clothes, etc. I laugh when a couple of women in the office complain they never have any extra cash, yet pick up breakfast every day on the way in to work and go out for lunch...$15 per day multiplied by 260 working days is $3,900...no small amount...

Return to Top
#1422407 - 07/30/10 08:30 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? HappyGilmore
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
But Happy....try to look at it this way.....

If we didn't keep trying to accumulate "stuff", production would decrease as demand decreased, and layoffs would happen more and more.

Sales is the root of all evil. Selling carp that nobody "needs" but "wants" or talking someone into buying a new car, even though their old one is only 3 years old creates a false "demand". Stop that demand and suddenly you have GM and Chrysler filing bankruptcy, Verizon and T-Mobile merging, etc.

It's the "if you're not growing, you're dying" mentality.

Return to Top
#1422432 - 07/30/10 08:55 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? Pup
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
::fans herself after ready the 'easy suit' ad:: blush

Who wants to model one of those??

Return to Top
#1422466 - 07/30/10 09:45 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? Pup
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Fraud Pup

If we didn't keep trying to accumulate "stuff", production would decrease as demand decreased, and layoffs would happen more and more.

Sales is the root of all evil. Selling carp that nobody "needs" but "wants" or talking someone into buying a new car, even though their old one is only 3 years old creates a false "demand". Stop that demand and suddenly you have GM and Chrysler filing bankruptcy, Verizon and T-Mobile merging, etc.

Yes but, if only one parent was trying to work, all those layoffs wouldn't be that detrimental.

I think it's both our desire to live a certain lifestyle AND the impact of taxation - social security and medicare already tax 15%, before any federal or state taxes hit ya.

Return to Top
#1422519 - 07/31/10 01:25 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? Pup
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Originally Posted By: Fraud Pup

Excuse me, Pup, can I interest you in our City Advantage program. laugh

Return to Top
#1422533 - 07/31/10 09:50 PM Re: Funny Vintage Ads: What Were They Thinking? cheekEE
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Too funny. You know what? It's free for me and I don't use it. smile

Return to Top