Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1694690 - 05/02/12 02:08 PM Protein powder?
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
My 16 yr old son is working out and he wants to take protein powder as a supplement, what are the pros and cons of this???

I don't know anything about it, but I feel he gets enough protein in his diet.
Last edited by Deek, CRCM; 05/02/12 02:17 PM. Reason: added age

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1694693 - 05/02/12 02:09 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
one pro is that he is not taking steroids! grin

Return to Top
#1694694 - 05/02/12 02:10 PM Re: Protein powder? A_G
A_G Offline
10K Club
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_powder

There is a section on "protein" supplements.

Return to Top
#1694697 - 05/02/12 02:16 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
A CU, Where Regs Don't Apply
I know there are quite a few of us here that have or do use something or other for a protein supplement. Particularly after a workout as a recovery.

Without knowing age and level of activity, it's hard to make much of a suggestion from my perspective, but there are other BOLers that might be more helpful.

There is a need to be careful, there are all kinds of things out there in these supplements besides the protein itself. But protein itself, I don't know what cons there would be to a recovery drink after a work out. If he's drinking 4-5 shakes a day and taking in 200g of it on top of his normal food intake, that might be a bit excessive/expensive/wasteful though.

Return to Top
#1694710 - 05/02/12 02:31 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
A_G Offline
10K Club
I think JJ is familiar protein supplements.

He seems like the "working out" type.

Return to Top
#1694711 - 05/02/12 02:32 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I have been working out (lifting weights, running, yoga, etc) for 15 years now. A legitimate Whey protein powder is the first thing any one lifting weights ingests upon completing their workout. While not a doctor, I don't really see any negatives to this. When I played football in college we were shooting for one gram of protein per pound of body weight. Unless you’re cooking nothing but meat and egg whites, no way he will hit that. Multiple doctors have told me that lifting weights is an excellent way to strengthen bones and would help prevent issues later in life. Plus, it kept me off the streets, which in turn kept me out of trouble at that age. smile

The one word of caution I would offer is, at that age his body is still developing. I would steer him clear of compound, heavy movements such as squatting, hang cleans, etc. Just my opinion.

Return to Top
#1694756 - 05/02/12 03:16 PM Re: Protein powder? ACBbank
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Originally Posted By: ACBbank
The one word of caution I would offer is, at that age his body is still developing. I would steer him clear of compound, heavy movements such as squatting, hang cleans, etc. Just my opinion.

Exactly my thoughts. I didn't lift weights AT ALL until college, but I should have. I didn't start taking any kind of protein powder until this year, and I do it because of what it does in the way of recovery.

I started by buying Wheybolic from GNC. WalMart sells good stuff for a lot less as well. Branch Chained Amino Acids are the key, I'm told.

If this were Facebook, I'd "tag" Bankbb1 as he is well versed in all of this. Seek his advice, for sure.

Return to Top
#1694774 - 05/02/12 03:34 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Well said Pup. Without going into specifics, lifting weights breaks down the muscles and the body will (in theory) repair them bigger and stronger. Drinking a good whey protein (which is absorbed faster) is an excellent way to help in the recovery process.

Return to Top
#1694775 - 05/02/12 03:36 PM Re: Protein powder? Pup
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
I get regular email updates from Rusty Moore. Check out Rusty’s site:
http://fitnessblackbook.com/

He linked to the article below, which basically says that if you eat healthy you get all the RDA of protein you pretty much need.

http://fitnessblackandwhite.com/how-many-grams-of-protein-per-day-to-lose-weight/

Return to Top
#1694785 - 05/02/12 03:53 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Thanks everyone. smile

Return to Top
#1694787 - 05/02/12 03:56 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
It does not mix with gin. Just going to put that little bit of wisdom out there!

I'm going to go wash out my drink blender now, from this morning's chocolate protein shake!

Return to Top
#1694792 - 05/02/12 04:01 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I would not drink that carp... I'd rather have a steak... and a gin smile

Return to Top
#1694806 - 05/02/12 04:12 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I've just started working out with a trainer this year and weight lifting is a major part of my routine. I was told that protein powder is absolutely required plus Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAA's). I was extremely nervous about this, so I did a ton of research, talked to my own doctor, and then started taking both as a protein shake after each workout.

The difference in recovery and how I feel after working out (and the next day) is incredible. Whey protein powder plus BCAA's has undoubtedly helped me stick with working out and staying on track to achieving the goals I've set for myself.

A good friend of mine who is a physician also coaches high school athletes and recommends whey protein powder and BCAA's to his teens, too. There are no harmful side effects if they limit intake to recommended dosages.

One recommendation I followed was to start at a lower dose of the protein (half a scoop) and work up slowly to the full recommended dose for my weight (one and a half scoops). I also make sure I eat a healthy balanced diet rich in protein, low in carbs and fat, and high in whole fruits and vegetables.
Last edited by BurntSienna; 05/02/12 04:30 PM.

Return to Top
#1694812 - 05/02/12 04:22 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
There is a lot of good information on this site shocked

http://www.livestrong.com/protein-powder/

The owner of the site would never be caught taking anything that was a harmful substance.
smile

CAMS

Return to Top
#1694815 - 05/02/12 04:27 PM Re: Protein powder? BurntSienna
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
I also make sure I eat a healthy balanced diet rich in protein, low in carbs and fat, and high in whole fruits and vegetables.

Man, I ALWAYS forget that part!!

Return to Top
#1694817 - 05/02/12 04:30 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
laugh I've been forgetting that part most of the last 15 years (and packing on the pounds each year). I'm remembering it this year, and now I'm ounces away from having lost 25 pounds since the beginning of this year. laugh I made my doctor laugh when I said, "Hey, this exercise and eating right thing really works!" smile
Last edited by BurntSienna; 05/02/12 04:30 PM.

Return to Top
#1694818 - 05/02/12 04:35 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Nice.

I've lost 10 pounds since Jan 1, and all I've really done differently is the pushups. Actually, I had lost 6 or 7 in the first month and mostly plateaued since then.

Eating right is probably the most difficult thing to find time for. Also, I have been taking the full whey powder dose since the beginning (staring in early March), so I'm sure that doesn't really accelerate weight loss. Mostly, I use it for the recovery.

Return to Top
#1694822 - 05/02/12 04:42 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Depends. Protein shakes that are low in sugars/carbs and high in protein/fiber used as a meal replacement can definitely help in weight loss. I do an Atkins or a SlimFast Carb Smart protein shake most mid-mornings and eat a very small healthy balanced breakfast early morning, eat a healthy lunch (my biggest meal of the day) and the morning shake helps me feel full and not be tempted to snack on unhealthy fattening foods. Then I eat a really healthy small balanced dinner, work out, then have my protein shake with BCAA's.

I think without the protein and fiber the shakes help provide, I would be hungry all the time and be much more likely to eat junk and make poor choices. At least for me, I credit the protein and fiber with half my success and the 6 days a week exercise with the other half.

Return to Top
#1694823 - 05/02/12 04:42 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
You're supposed to have protein within 30-45 minutes after a workout. First person to tell me that was BankBB1 and when I did it, I coudln't believe the difference it made in next-day soreness. You body really does suck it up and repair your muscles faster and better having that protein boost right away. I get a Jamba Juice smoothie after working out with added whey protein. But at $5.60 twice a week for those, I shoudl mayeb look into somethign else.

Return to Top
#1694827 - 05/02/12 04:47 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
manimal Offline
Diamond Poster
manimal
Deleted
I've started chugging a glass of milk after workouts. That's as 'shake' as it's gonna get for me. laugh

Innerpartysystem

Return to Top
#1694830 - 05/02/12 04:56 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Again, thanks all!

Return to Top
#1694831 - 05/02/12 05:00 PM Re: Protein powder? Dip
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Dip
You're supposed to have protein within 30-45 minutes after a workout. First person to tell me that was BankBB1 and when I did it, I coudln't believe the difference it made in next-day soreness. You body really does suck it up and repair your muscles faster and better having that protein boost right away. I get a Jamba Juice smoothie after working out with added whey protein. But at $5.60 twice a week for those, I shoudl mayeb look into somethign else.

No, I am not going to post buy it on Craigslist. smirk

The post above from livestrong has an article on how to make your own.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1694836 - 05/02/12 05:10 PM Re: Protein powder? manimal
Matt_B Offline
Diamond Poster
Matt_B
Originally Posted By: manimal
I've started chugging a glass of milk after workouts. That's as 'shake' as it's gonna get for me. laugh

Lots of people say that it's one of the best recovery drinks, so that's totally acceptable. It's got a lot of protein in it, some even have whey protein mixed in. You can do chocolate too, it only seems bad for you laugh

Return to Top
#1694837 - 05/02/12 05:11 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Ed, I'd make my own but I workout during my lunch break and homemade smoothies in the lunch room are NOT happening laugh

Return to Top
#1694838 - 05/02/12 05:15 PM Re: Protein powder? Retired DQ
CheshireAliCat Offline
100 Club
NJ
Hubby and I get the Whey protein powder, (Gold Standard Whey, I think...) and after my morning runs, I throw it in the blender with a banana and some almond milk. Breakfast! A good protein recovery, and the banana makes me fuller longer. Some nuts or trail mix while I'm zoned out over the computer screen, and I'm good until lunch.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3