Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1690596 - 04/19/12 07:36 PM Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations?
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thought I'd join in. My husband and I are spending 4 days in Seattle in August for his birthday. Plan on eating at the Space Needle on his 60th, but other than that don't have any real plans. Have to see Pikes Place Market (our hotel is close by), and gotta get my Hard Rock t-shirt (I collect them).

Does anyone have any good suggestions for us on what to see and where to eat?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1690604 - 04/19/12 07:45 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
My ex and I stayed in the college district. The hotel wasn't as expensive, the food was within walking distance and was affordable and delicious, and we were close to public transportation.

I think it'll be too late in the year, but we toured the salmon ladder and that was cool.

We also lucked out because it only rained two of the five nights were stayed (although I was really looking forward to plenty of grey skies, coming from Phx where we are 300+ sunny days can get boring).

Return to Top
#1690620 - 04/19/12 08:06 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
If you have passports, look into a day cruise to Victoria and Butchert Gardens. They're on an island that's part of Canada, but easily accessible from Seattle.

Return to Top
#1690659 - 04/19/12 08:37 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I stayed in Tukwilla, a short drive in to town, but a heck of a lot less expensive. I went to Mount Ranier one afternoon, about a 1 hour drive, and spent it hiking from Sunrise Point. Drive is up to 6,000 feet, then hiked about another 3,000 up. It was mid May, they had only opened the road in the week before, snow all over at 6,000 feet, and I was in shorts and a t-shirt. Very beautiful.

I forget the name of the music experience, need to do that. Space needle was closed the only chance I had to go to it, a gay pride parade was going on downtown and much of downtown was closed.

Return to Top
#1690662 - 04/19/12 08:42 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Bankbb1, PITA Offline
Bankbb1, PITA
The Sovereign State Of Oklahom...
That is the cool thing about the NW! All the beauty of the mountains, but there is still plenty of Oxygen! I love the Rockies, but it takes 4 days to acclimate to 10,000 feet! smile

Return to Top
#1690664 - 04/19/12 08:42 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Hiking Mount Ranier sounds interesting. My husband loves the outdoors. I'm planning on making our reservations as early as possible, but they only make them 90 days out.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and keep them coming if you have them. We'd love to tour some wineries, but my medication is making it impossible for me to have any. I'd still be willing to go, but Bill is being very supportive and not drinking either.

Return to Top
#1690672 - 04/19/12 08:49 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I did the underground tour last summer and enjoyed it--kinda funny and enjoyed hearing the stories of how Seattle was built. Plus walkign around BELOW the curent city level was really interesting. And ti wasn't too expensive either, which is nice.

Pikes market is fun but spendier than i would have thought. Make sure to see the gum wall and add your own piece or art to it :P

We didnt do the space needle since ti was so expensive to go up--we went up soem other tower instead (discount to see it with underground tour ticket). it has a deck that goes around and if you line it up right, you can get a photo of yourself qwith the space needle in the background.

If you;re interested in art of theater, contact Becka Marr--she lives there smile

Return to Top
#1690677 - 04/19/12 08:53 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Dip
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations?

yes, start a thread on..........oh, nevermind

Return to Top
#1690693 - 04/19/12 09:22 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
If you have a rental car, drive to Snoqualmie Falls and hike to the bottom and back up! It's beautiful! My son and I hiked it a couple summers ago. It'll take you probably an hour at the most to get there from Seattle.

We like the City Pass option. There are several places you can go with that (www.citypass.com).

We also like the Locks cruise from Argosy. It takes you from the Puget Sound salt water up through the locks to the fresh water Lake Union. Gorgeous on a sunny day!

They have the WWII amphibious ducks tours as well. Did that last summer and really enjoyed it.

There's more that we like to do, so as I think of it, I'll let you know! smile

Return to Top
#1690698 - 04/19/12 09:43 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Oh yes! The underground tour was awesome, as was the ghost tour.

We chose not to rent a car to experience more of the urban flow of the city.

I agree with contacting BM. She was a great help on our trip.

Return to Top
#1690701 - 04/19/12 09:54 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Bacon Boy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
If you have a car, go up to Woodinville (north on 405 from downtown Seattle). All within a very short distance from each other, you can go to Chateau St. Michelle winery, Columbia Crest winery, and Red Hook Brewery. All have tours with tastings. I go to Red Hook every year when I'm out there.

If you want a T-shirt that I dare you to wear, look for the "I rode the South Lake Union Trolley" shirts. You'll know what I mean when you see them. blush

Walk down below Pike's Place Market to Alaskan Way. One of my favorite restaurants, Steamers, is there. If you want more upscale, Eliot's is nearby. The Seattle Aquarium is nearby. Right next to Steamers is the Argosy ferry, which has several tours a day.

Return to Top
#1730916 - 08/15/12 12:00 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We are leaving on Saturday for our trip - and now there's a wildfire. We had a day trip planned to drive down to Mt. Ranier and then over to Mt. Saint Helen's. Looks like that is going to have to be cancelled. I just hope everything else is OK.

Return to Top
#1730926 - 08/15/12 12:16 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
you can go to starbucks for coffee.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1730928 - 08/15/12 12:16 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
:stares:

Return to Top
#1731062 - 08/15/12 03:00 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
The fire is more on the East side of the Cascades. You should be fine to drive down to the Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens areas.

Return to Top
#1731072 - 08/15/12 03:13 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks. I'll keep my eyes open and try to look at maps. I was really looking forward to that drive, too.

Return to Top
#1731108 - 08/15/12 03:52 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Sinatra Fan
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
Walk down below Pike's Place Market to Alaskan Way. One of my favorite restaurants, Steamers, is there. If you want more upscale, Eliot's is nearby. The Seattle Aquarium is nearby. Right next to Steamers is the Argosy ferry, which has several tours a day.

Aaggghhhh!!! Steamers is gone. cry Eliot's took over their spot and expanded their facility. Next year, I'll be checking out some other restaurants on Alaskan Way.

Return to Top
#1731120 - 08/15/12 04:03 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Busy Bee, CRCM
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By: Busy Bee, CRCM
The fire is more on the East side of the Cascades. You should be fine to drive down to the Mt Rainier and Mt St Helens areas.

Ditto--you'll be fine unless you were planning heading to WSU to party or something. The short-term weather forecast is looking decent.

Return to Top
#1731243 - 08/15/12 05:47 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Spenser Offline
Washington state
While you are visiting the Space Needle, you could take in the Chihuly Garden and Glass Exhibition. Also, the King Tut exhibit is here at the Pacific Science Center. These are all located at the Seattle Center.

Return to Top
#1731253 - 08/15/12 06:02 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
The coolest thing we did in Seattle was when we took a bus to visit the cemetary where Bruce and Brandon Lee are buried.

It was a spur of the moment thing, but it was pretty cool.

The trip to the park where Rainier is was a beautiful one. I would love to go back and rent a motorcycle to take that trip again someday.

Return to Top
#1731441 - 08/15/12 08:34 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
NU Rhules Offline
Gold Star
NU Rhules
SE, Nebraska
Pup - I used to ride bikes with my buddies up to Cougar Rock campground at Mt. Rainier each summer. Perk for growing up in Tacoma.
Duchess - Take a Day - drive Hwy 410 around North end of Mt Rainier clockwise to the south and then up to Paradise Visitor's center/and Lodge. The Lodge is grand. Huge log structure.

Seattle: Pike Street Market on Weekends. Any waterfront restaurant is fine. College buddy works at Starbucks HQ he only gives me his free pound of coffee (per week). See Mariner's play baseball. Safeco Field is really nice.

Drive up to Snoqualimie to the Salish Lodge overlooking Snoqualiamie falls (150ft). Very high class lodge and nice restaurant.

Do do the drive to Mt. St. Helens, but that will take you all day long. You get a real appreciation for the force of Nature and Geology!

Have fun!

Return to Top
#1731445 - 08/15/12 08:40 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
but watch out for the wildfire raging in central washington at this time

Return to Top
#1735058 - 08/24/12 08:33 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
el guapo Offline
Gold Star
el guapo
Don't know if you are still there, but I took a quick week long trip to eat and drink my way across Seattle. My favorite new spots were brunch at Le Pichet and had one of my favorite dinners of the year at The Walrus & The Carpenter. Top Pot Doughnuts was a favorite stop. I think I visited every Tom Douglas bar/lounge/restaurant. Brunch at Dahlia Lounge was great. The pizza at Serious Pie was really good.

Return to Top
#1735107 - 08/24/12 10:16 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We're back - and didn't eat at any one of those. We ate at a little Italian place on 2nd street on Saturday, Space Needle for my husband's birthday on Sunday, a little cafe close to the hotel on 5th Ave. North and then a little place 2 blocks from the hotel on Tuesday called 'The Crow'. We had lunch at a place called Ivars on Tuesday on the water. Took lots of tours - really enjoyed 'The Duck' tour the most. Walked, and walked and walked and spent about 6 hours driving to Mt. Ranier and Mount St. Helen's on Monday. Horribly twisty, curvy and pot-holed filled roads.

All in all we had a really good time. My husband ran in a 10K on his birthday (60th) on Sunday. That was his first race ever. I'm very proud.

Return to Top
#1735109 - 08/24/12 10:24 PM Re: Heading to Seattle - Any Recommendations? Skittles
Derwood Offline
100 Club
I was thinking about your trip on Sunday while I was up hiking on Mt. Hood. Had a good view of St. Helens and a fair one of Mt.Rainier. Glad to hear you had a good time.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2