BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1872406 - 11/19/13 03:38 PM Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees
A_G Offline
10K Club
Walmart collecting food donations to feed employees

snip - In an employees-only section of the store, management has placed two bins underneath a sign reading, “Please donate food items here so Associates in Need can enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner,” local paperThe Plain Dealer reported on Monday. Walmart spokesperson Kory Lundberg told the newspaper that it is for employees “who have had some hardships come up.”

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1872412 - 11/19/13 03:41 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
yeah ... the hardship is "working for Wal-mart"

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#1872437 - 11/19/13 04:09 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Wal MArt should provide all it's employees with a complete T-day dinner for Pete's sake.

Return to Top
#1872471 - 11/19/13 04:46 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Why do they need Thanksgiving dinner? Won't they be working all day and night anyway stocking shelves for Black Friday?

Return to Top
#1872480 - 11/19/13 04:54 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Wally world is open on Thanksgiving, I thought I read somewhere.

Return to Top
#1872482 - 11/19/13 04:56 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
Purple Pride Offline
Purple Pride
Where I am supposed to be
No, because Wal-Mart opens Thanksgiving evening I think at 8 for post-Thanksgiving shopping deals. smirk

Return to Top
#1872532 - 11/19/13 06:34 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
6!! Not even as late as 8!!

Return to Top
#1872535 - 11/19/13 06:36 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees E.E.G.B
Peepers Offline
10K Club
7!

Return to Top
#1872552 - 11/19/13 06:59 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
First, I think it's shameful that a supposedly family-centered company (haha) can't give the fixings for a Thanksgiving dinner to its own employees in need out of their billions of $ of profits. Or, you know, pay them a decent living wage.

Second, there's a CPA office along my drive to work that always has funny stuff put up on their outdoor sign. Today, it said, "We will NOT be open at 6pm on Thanksgiving." Hahaha laugh

Return to Top
#1872554 - 11/19/13 07:04 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
better yet, how nice of walmart to ask fellow employees to help out those in need, even if it is coworkers...better yet, how about the people suffering temporary hardships go get a second job and not be a burden on their fellow employees. Why is it walmarts issue to provide them anything but a fair wage for fair work?

Does Exxon get asked to provide free gas to their employees suffering hardships?

Does JPMC get asked to forgive loans to employees suffering hardships?

Return to Top
#1872568 - 11/19/13 07:27 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Gee, talk about not being Happy. smile

Return to Top
#1872569 - 11/19/13 07:28 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Happy will never be an in your face community organizer, at least not for social justice!

Return to Top
#1872585 - 11/19/13 08:00 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Not that I have a soft spot for Walmart but it just goes to show that no good deed goes unpunished.

Return to Top
#1872626 - 11/19/13 08:55 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees Bacon Boy
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: BaconBeard

I think at some point, everyone has hardships they encounter...do we all expect that our company, regardless of who it is, gives us free stuff? Or do we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and move on?

Sadly, the level of expectation that someone will step in and take responsibility for me when I won't take responsibility for myself is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

Return to Top
#1872638 - 11/19/13 09:06 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees HappyGilmore
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Why is it walmarts issue to provide them anything but a fair wage for fair work?

In Walmart's case, that's sort of begging the question.

Return to Top
#1872665 - 11/19/13 09:51 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The average wage at Walmart is $12.83. The majority of managment start out as hourly workers. A manager of a store makes on average $170,000 a year. 1.3 million people have jobs with Walmart.

Even part-timers are offered health insurance.

We have all benefited by the low-cost model of providing goods and services by this retail dynamo, even if we don't shop at Wally World.

Return to Top
#1872673 - 11/19/13 10:05 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Wow, reading these threads makes me realize why our country is in the predicament we are in now. It is not enough for Walmart to provide people with job opportunities, salaries, and Thanksgiving options for the needy, but apparently they need to self tax themselves out of business.

...... and you all wonder why the politicians use the private sector to condemn hard work and entrepreneurship.

Return to Top
#1872674 - 11/19/13 10:05 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees Xian Ngyuen
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: EdSpenser
Why is it walmarts issue to provide them anything but a fair wage for fair work?

In Walmart's case, that's sort of begging the question.

which question?

Return to Top
#1872682 - 11/19/13 10:16 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees HappyGilmore
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Originally Posted By: BaconBeard

I think at some point, everyone has hardships they encounter...do we all expect that our company, regardless of who it is, gives us free stuff? Or do we pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and move on?

Sadly, the level of expectation that someone will step in and take responsibility for me when I won't take responsibility for myself is becoming the norm rather than the exception.

I'm not disagreeing at all: People get themselves into a pickle and expect to have someone else bail them out far too often.

Return to Top
#1872703 - 11/19/13 11:35 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
WALMART is the one saying that these are a very few families who've had something occur that they are in great need. I think that a multibillion dollar corporation could certainly reap some goodwill, good press, and some very grateful and loyal employees for providing 30 Thanksgiving dinners to people whose houses burned down, etc. this year. I certainly never suggested that WalMart give free groceries to every employee (or Exxon give free gas to its employees, or any other of the things that have been said). I just find it tacky that a company with such astronomical profits puts out bins for a canned food collection for the other workers to collect for these folks. How about matching dollar for dollar or can for can? Surely something could be done from corporate?

Do they have to? No, of course not. That still leaves me entitled to my opinion that they SHOULD. Because it's the right thing to do. You don't have to agree with my opinion, but I sure have the right to express it. smile And I don't need to be saddled with being the reason why America is in its current predicament. I have enough stress with auditors and examiners. laugh

Return to Top
#1872714 - 11/20/13 12:49 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I don't believe it was Wal-Mart who requested donations. It was the particular store employees who wanted to help their fellow coworkers. That isn't a bad thing in my mind.

I am all for people having to be held accountable for themselves. You put yourself in debt, you can work overtime to relieve that debt. However, coworkers helping eachother is a kind-hearted thing to do!

Return to Top
#1872721 - 11/20/13 01:49 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees MyBrainHurts
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: MyBrainHurts
Why do they need Thanksgiving dinner? Won't they be working all day and night anyway stocking shelves for Black Friday?
No, they'll be working all day and night Wednesday stocking for Gray Thursday, and working all night and day Thursday for Gray Thursday and stocking for Black Friday, and all day Friday for Black Friday.

Return to Top
#1872726 - 11/20/13 02:07 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Our local store has a catered dinner for the employees who work Thanksgiving day.

Seems like the press has taken a kind gesture by employees of one store and used it to start a viral uproar against a corporation. Wal-Mart has done some things in the corporate world that are somewhat despicable, but this isn't one of them.

Return to Top
#1872732 - 11/20/13 02:25 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
wait, are you saying the press is behaving irresponsibly? oh, wow, who would have thought they would ever do that? crazy

Return to Top
#1872733 - 11/20/13 02:25 PM Re: Walmart collecting fooddonations to feed employees HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
like when they accused Tom Cruise of saying something he didn't?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2