Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1938505 - 07/08/14 05:56 PM illegal child immigrants?
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
NBC News reports that:
Quote:
The Obama administration is formally asking for $3.7 billion in emergency funds from Congress to address the flood of unaccompanied minor children coming illegally

I've seen a little about this but obviously not enough. Why and how are children coming over the border by themselves?

This part of the article bothered me greatly too.
Quote:
(some of the money is for) legal services for children in immigration proceedings
How can a minor child immigrate here by themselves?

Obviously I've a lot more research to do so any links you may have to good reports with minimal spin will be appreciated.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1938515 - 07/08/14 06:04 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I as well have not been keeping up with this but 3.7 billion seems excessive when little is being done to stop the "illegal" immigration.

Let me rephrase 3.7 for the same old nothing.

Seems like the parties are just using this to score votes.
Last edited by EdAudit; 07/08/14 06:06 PM.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938516 - 07/08/14 06:05 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Parents from central American countries are putting their kids on buses and sending them north through Mexico to try to cross the boarder and enter the country on their own, hoping we will have compassion and not send them back home. the immigration centers are being overrun so many are still slipping on through.

It is a sad situation, which I am not sure what the best answers are.

Return to Top
#1938517 - 07/08/14 06:07 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I've done a bit more digging in the last few minutes.
Politics aside, I cannot fathom what it must be like living on the border and seeing these children come into the country looking to the US to care for them.
3.7 billion doesn't seen like that much when you're not only talking about food and housing but looking for relatives to take care of them while they await deportation and all the follow-up that must entail, etc.

My question would be: Isn't there some way to refuse them entry?

Return to Top
#1938519 - 07/08/14 06:09 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
I've done a bit more digging in the last few minutes.
Politics aside, I cannot fathom what it must be like living on the border and seeing these children come into the country looking to the US to care for them.
3.7 billion doesn't seen like that much when you're not only talking about food and housing but looking for relatives to take care of them while they await deportation and all the follow-up that must entail, etc.

Without throwing away potential votes?

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938522 - 07/08/14 06:16 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club

What do you mean? Like, what are you thinking would happen to them?

Return to Top
#1938526 - 07/08/14 06:21 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well, to believe news reports, these kids have walked on their own from as far south as Ecuador and Columbia...certainly they should be able to turn around and walk back home if denied entry.

Return to Top
#1938527 - 07/08/14 06:21 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Xian Ngyuen
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Like this maybe at the border?

From that article comes this unsettling bit that I also saw in a news broadcast the other day.
Quote:
Unlike undocumented Mexican migrants, who are often immediately deported, the U.S. government detains and processes the Central Americans, who are eventually released and given a month to report to immigration offices. Many never show up and join the nation's 11 million undocumented population, says the National Border Patrol Council, the union representing Border Patrol agents.
Why would this differentiation between country of origin resulting in 'lost detainees' like this be allowed to happen?

Return to Top
#1938529 - 07/08/14 06:22 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Well we could repeal child labor laws, but that still leaves the illegal immigrant part. No easy solutions but if I recall it was France or Italy that was shipping back Libyans no asylum given. Certainly harsh. If we did that would that stop it or slow it down?

If we let them stay what do you do with them?

Return to Top
#1938530 - 07/08/14 06:22 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Quote:

We're talking kids here. Not everything has to have a political bent to it. We're talking about children being sent away from severe poverty and violence, none like that you or your child have ever had to experience, in the hopes of finding at least some stability to for them to set a better course in life for their children.

Return to Top
#1938531 - 07/08/14 06:24 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Happy, I would never advocate ill treatment of children. But they're not walking here because they think it's a good idea. Maybe I'm just looking at parents from other countries and expecting them to have more American values which, I like to think, include not sending your child off by themselves to a foreign country.

Return to Top
#1938532 - 07/08/14 06:24 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Like this maybe at the border?

From that article comes this unsettling bit that I also saw in a news broadcast the other day.
Quote:
Unlike undocumented Mexican migrants, who are often immediately deported, the U.S. government detains and processes the Central Americans, who are eventually released and given a month to report to immigration offices. Many never show up and join the nation's 11 million undocumented population, says the National Border Patrol Council, the union representing Border Patrol agents.
Why would this differentiation between country of origin resulting in 'lost detainees' like this be allowed to happen?

Sorry but you keep asking political questions. The answer is votes. If you send back x from y country z from y country will not vote for you (or deny legislation). That goes for all political positions.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938536 - 07/08/14 06:27 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Happy, I would never advocate ill treatment of children. But they're not walking here because they think it's a good idea. Maybe I'm just looking at parents from other countries and expecting them to have more American values which, I like to think, include not sending your child off by themselves to a foreign country.

People in other countries may not have food to feed the kids or are part of the drug trade (or some other horrible circumstances) and feel that the kids are better off in USA by themselves.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938537 - 07/08/14 06:27 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? #Just Jay
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: #Just Jay
Quote:

We're talking kids here. Not everything has to have a political bent to it.

This is the Watercooler!!! crazy smirk

Return to Top
#1938538 - 07/08/14 06:29 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
So this is the equivalent of leaving the baby in the basket on the convent steps knowing the nuns will take it in and care for it?

Problem for the nuns and this country is finding the money to give these kids a better life.

Honestly, it just doesn't seem realistic to expect the US to save all the children AND send our armies to defend other countries AND provide health care for everyone...etc., etc., etc.

But as Ann Landers often said, if you don't want to be treated as a doormat, don't lay down and let people walk all over you. Maybe it's time for the US to pull in the mat.

Return to Top
#1938539 - 07/08/14 06:30 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
But the street are paved with gold.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938540 - 07/08/14 06:29 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? edAudit
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
How many "unaccompanied minor children coming illegally" are we talking about?

Return to Top
#1938541 - 07/08/14 06:30 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not the one I live on!

Return to Top
#1938542 - 07/08/14 06:31 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? #Just Jay
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Quote:

We're talking kids here. Not everything has to have a political bent to it. We're talking about children being sent away from severe poverty and violence, none like that you or your child have ever had to experience, in the hopes of finding at least some stability to for them to set a better course in life for their children.

That is why both sides need to come up with a solution rather than just saying that X hates the Y minorities and vote for me.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938543 - 07/08/14 06:32 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Sinatra Fan
A_G Offline
10K Club
Quite frankly, the Canadians have been getting out of hand lately! laugh eek

Return to Top
#1938544 - 07/08/14 06:32 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Not the one I live on!

As compared to what the people in these countries see (or are told).

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938545 - 07/08/14 06:32 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I cannot imagine the conditions under which these families live. It must be horrible to think that giving your child to a smuggler in the hope of them making it to the U.S. is a better option than keeping your child with you. I cannot imagine the desperation.

However, these children are not our problem. They need to be returned to the government in their country of origin. Those governments must take responsibility for their own citizens.

I work just a few blocks away from where over 1,000 of these children are being housed so it's big news around here.

Return to Top
#1938546 - 07/08/14 06:33 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? A_G
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By: RЯ AA_G
Quite frankly, the Canadians have been getting out of hand lately! laugh eek

This is a civil discussion lets keep bieber out of it laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#1938547 - 07/08/14 06:33 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? #Just Jay
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
We're talking about children being sent away from severe poverty and violence, none like that you or your child have ever had to experience, in the hopes of finding at least some stability to for them to set a better course in life for their children.

while me or my kids have never experienced it, there are plenty of places in America that poverty is just as bad...inner cities, Appalachia, Native American Reservations (although an argument could be made this is not "America" but a sovereign nation). And threat of violence in many inner-city housing projects is no better than many 3rd world countries. I live in small town USA, have friends that are teachers, and they said kids in their school often only get food when school is in and they have the free lunch and breakfast.

poverty is not confined to 3rd world nations.

Return to Top
#1938548 - 07/08/14 06:33 PM Re: illegal child immigrants? Truffle Royale
Jafo Offline
Gold Star
Jafo
State of Confusion
Like it or not this is a political issue. The solution is to send them back, that will not win you any votes and you will be crucified by the media. The other option is we keep the kids here in camps until they turn 18 and then set them free or send them back to their country.

Does that suck, sure it does, but the US is not the world's caretaker.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4