Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1978442 - 11/24/14 12:40 AM It's *not* a joke.
buggs Offline
Power Poster
10 Reasons Why
See reason number one. This is why joking about this is obnoxious and definitely not funny. Only a bully would think it is funny.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1978445 - 11/24/14 12:36 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Shireen is a YourTango writer, a sometimes writer, sometimes photographer trying to drop the sometimes. When she’s not writing she’s usually having full conversations with her cat, most of which revolve around trying to keep him away from her cheese. You can find her at JustShireen.com

http://thoughtcatalog.com/shireen-dadkhah/

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978446 - 11/24/14 12:42 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/112118/depression/

At least a article from someone in the health care profession if you believe the story or not is you choice.

Much like global climate change one can find an internet post that will clearly show both sides to the coin. Believe what you choose.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978456 - 11/24/14 02:05 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: buggs
10 Reasons Why
See reason number one. This is why joking about this is obnoxious and definitely not funny. Only a bully would think it is funny.

If you truly have a problem with depression than I apologize. I thought someone else just made the claim up. We don't see eye to eye very much but I am sure you are a good person, and deserving of dignity.

Return to Top
#1978457 - 11/24/14 02:10 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. edAudit
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: edAudit
http://www.healthcentral.com/depression/c/84292/112118/depression/

At least a article from someone in the health care profession if you believe the story or not is you choice.

What are MerelyMe's healthcare credentials on this topic?

Putting that aside for the moment, both writers suffer from depression, and agree that depression expands to affect one's entire family. One believes that you can't just think yourself out of the pit, and one wonders if it might be possible.

Oh, and to my earlier question:

Originally Posted By: MerelyMe's profile

Bio: I am a published writer who suffers from depression and MS

ABOUT ME:
I have suffered from depression for as long as I can remember and I am now in my *gulp* mid-forties. Depression is an on-going battle for me and especially now as I have been diagnosed with a chronic disease, Multiple Sclerosis. Anyone who has depression knows that you don't endure this in a vacuum. Depression affects every aspect of your life and particularly your relationships. It is particularly difficult, sometimes, for family members and friends to understand what you may be going through. One of the struggles for me with having on-going depression is how to cope with the stressors of being a parent and also having a mood disorder. I have two boys and my youngest son has autism. It has been quite the challenge to find ways to meet my family's needs as well as my own.

One of the ways that I cope with things is to write. I am a newly published writer. I have written the first chapter in a book entitled, Embracing Autism, detailing my experience as both a parent and teacher to my son with autism. I wish to take my passion for writing and healing to share with you here. I will be primarily writing about my personal first hand experiences of how I have coped with depression for more than several decades now.

I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Special Education. I am also very close to obtaining my Master's degree in Social Work with only ten credits to go. My hope is to go back to school to finish my degree as well as pursue my writing endeavors. I really want to make a difference and help others who are also dealing with lifelong challenges

Return to Top
#1978459 - 11/24/14 02:16 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

I have an undergraduate degree in Psychology and a Master's degree in Special Education. I am also very close to obtaining my Master's degree in Social Work with only ten credits to go. My hope is to go back to school to finish my degree as well as pursue my writing endeavors. I really want to make a difference and help others who are also dealing with lifelong challenges

Not the ideal person to write about a medical condition but has some medical training.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978460 - 11/24/14 02:20 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
My point is and has been in several threads is that it may be best if actual experts are cited in theses types of discussions otherwise there citations are no better than the opinion some random bank employee on a bankers thread.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978464 - 11/24/14 02:28 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
I would hope that first-hand experience has some value.

Return to Top
#1978468 - 11/24/14 02:35 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. Xian Ngyuen
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Originally Posted By: Xian Ngyuen
I would hope that first-hand experience has some value.

Probably not. A person with first hand experience may be biased one way or the other to rationalize their behavior. I have no opinion on whether depression is a choice, but I'm just asserting that a person with the condition may not be an unbiased observer.

Return to Top
#1978477 - 11/24/14 03:06 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Well, of course not. Therein, from my perspective, lies the value of their first-hand description of their own experience.

Return to Top
#1978479 - 11/24/14 03:07 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
i've had many a broken bone, but I don't think that qualifies me for orthopaedic dissertations...

Return to Top
#1978482 - 11/24/14 03:11 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Agreed. It does qualify you to describe how a broken bone feels, what treatment is like, and what recovery is like.

Return to Top
#1978486 - 11/24/14 03:14 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
point taken

Return to Top
#1978489 - 11/24/14 03:14 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. Xian Ngyuen
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Agreed. It does qualify you to describe how a broken bone feels, what treatment is like, and what recovery is like.

but a broken bone feels different to each person, treatment can vary, and recovery is not the same for all age groups.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978492 - 11/24/14 03:17 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
And each person's experience has value.

Return to Top
#1978505 - 11/24/14 03:49 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. edAudit
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Much like global climate change one can find an internet post that will clearly show both sides to the coin. Believe what you choose.

Ah, but on one I have *personal* experience. Do you?
Last edited by QCL; 11/24/14 03:52 PM. Reason: Personal attack
Return to Top
#1978508 - 11/24/14 03:51 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. Xian Ngyuen
buggs Offline
Power Poster

Who gives a damn about this person's healthcare credentials. I don't see you throwing out your credentials on most of the topics you discuss, however, you seem convinced we should listen to you. Why is that?
Last edited by buggs; 11/24/14 03:52 PM.
Return to Top
#1978509 - 11/24/14 03:52 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
The problem too, as with many other issues, is that we live in a society where people think they should have an opinion on everything, and that their opinion matters on EVERYTHING. My opinion on the best way to bake a souffle is worthless.

Return to Top
#1978510 - 11/24/14 03:53 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Wouldn't that depend on how good your souffle is?

Return to Top
#1978512 - 11/24/14 03:54 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
It would....and since i've never made one and i'm sure the one i did make would suck, my opinion on it would be worthless.

Return to Top
#1978513 - 11/24/14 03:55 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
My personal experience with depression is that after a very short time with meds, I can now handle it on my own and have done so for over 10 years, medicine free.

Return to Top
#1978514 - 11/24/14 03:58 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
noelekal Offline
100 Club
Texas

Who gives a damn about this person's healthcare credentials. I don't see you throwing out your credentials on most of the topics you discuss, however, you seem convinced we should listen to you. Why is that?

This response is unnecessarily unkind to Xian Ngyuen.

You are the one original posting this thread. You must have been soliciting responses. Now you've gone and set one of those chips on your shoulder again, wanting someone to knock it off.

Xian Ngyuen responded and you want to pick a fight over it.
Last edited by noelekal; 11/24/14 03:59 PM.

Return to Top
#1978519 - 11/24/14 04:09 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. QCL
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: QCL
My personal experience with depression is that after a very short time with meds, I can now handle it on my own and have done so for over 10 years, medicine free.

I know this is the experience of some people, and I'm truly glad this has worked for you. smile

Return to Top
#1978520 - 11/24/14 04:09 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. buggs
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

Ah, but on one I have *personal* experience. Do you?

I have experience with individuals (not on bol so no need for anyone here to get defensive) who refuse to take the necessary steps to at least attempt to fix what is wrong and takes it out on others.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1978523 - 11/24/14 04:11 PM Re: It's *not* a joke. raitchjay
Xian Ngyuen Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: raitchjay
It would....and since i've never made one and i'm sure the one i did make would suck, my opinion on it would be worthless.

Still, your first-person account of your attempt to make a souffle could be instructive, or at least entertaining.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2