Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2075886 - 04/27/16 02:17 PM What says you...
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
5 Decade study says Spanking is bad.

I am not sure I totally agree with this report. There is probably more to this than what is reported.

From the article:

Study authors defined spanking as an open-handed hit on the behind or extremities, and they found the disciplinary action was significantly linked with 13 of the 17 outcomes they analyzed. Researchers described all of those outcomes as detrimental.

“Spanking thus does the opposite of what parents usually want it to do,” co-author Grogan-Kaylor, an associate professor at the University of Michigan School of Social Work, said in the release.

I think if done in anger, a spanking can have a bad effect, but when administered properly, is an effective deterrent. I can maybe count on one hand the times I needed to spank my children. But on the other hand, I can't remember the number of times I was spanked, more than I would like to admit. And far as school, I got at least one a year from the 4th through 12 grades.

School ones were with a paddle, so not sure it meets the studies definition.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2075911 - 04/27/16 03:33 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I was spanked as a kid and I'm just fine... even got the wooden spoon a time or two. I also spanked my daughter, but like you not nearly as often as I was spanked. I believe there are times when it is an appropriate action and should never leave a mark.... I also believe it can be taken too far and that then is a problem.

Return to Top
#2075968 - 04/27/16 05:11 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Once in a while a kid needs a good smack upside the head. I was lucky, my kid listened to me.

Return to Top
#2075977 - 04/27/16 05:34 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
I was spanked as a kid......quite a bit. As far as I can tell I'm no worse for the wear. I spank my kids and I agree with the consensus so far - there's a right way and definitely a wrong way (several wrong ways). My children are pretty well behaved kids, so they only need it 4 -5 times a day (<---kidding). My wife and I use grounding, revoked privileges (tablets, video games, tv...) and generally use spanking when all else fails. But again, I'm pretty luck to have a couple of generally well behaved kids.

Return to Top
#2076004 - 04/27/16 06:48 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Jails are filled with unspanked kids by percentage more than spanked so I guess if a parents goal is to keep your kid out of jail then it actually does have the effect the parent hoped it would. What do they think "parents usually want it to do"?

Return to Top
#2076025 - 04/27/16 07:51 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
I was not only spanked, I was beaten, including a broken tooth from where my father hit me with his fist. I vowed not to repeat this cycle with my kids. That said, I did spank both of our daughters when they were young. The key is in not just what discipline is administered, but how it is administered. Proverbs 13:24

Return to Top
#2076093 - 04/28/16 12:30 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
The "how and why" are the most important parts of any disciplinary action. I hate to hear that you went through that, but it's wonderful to hear that you were strong enough not to repeat it!

Return to Top
#2076113 - 04/28/16 01:59 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
I second that burkemi!

Return to Top
#2076169 - 04/28/16 04:27 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
Sherlocked Offline
221B Baker St.
These studies SMH. Depends on how they are structured and who does the interpreting of the results. And what agenda they have.

Spanked when I was growing up and I'm not resentful of my parents nor hate the world. I certainly respected my parents.

Return to Top
#2076287 - 04/28/16 10:47 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I use spanking as a part of my parenting but I make sure I never spank without giving clear warnings first and then before I spank I ask them why they are getting spanked so I know they understand. Once the punishment is done I make sure to give them a big hug, look them in the eyes and let them know that I love them.

Return to Top
#2076395 - 04/29/16 04:28 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
My parents always hit us in anger. My sister would cry and say "I'm Sorry" and they would be satisfied. My personality was a bit different. I would dig in my heels and refuse to cry or let them know they had hurt me in any way. They could have beaten me to death and I would not give in. My daughter has my personality. I spanked her a few times and I was not angry nor did I use my hand. It was not a method that worked on her so I stopped using it and turned to other things. It does depend very much on the spirit in which it is done and on the child whether or not it is effective.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2076422 - 04/29/16 05:17 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
ocbeach Offline
Maryland
I remember a lady whose son reported to his teacher that his mother had spanked him the night before. He was peeved that his mother spanked him and wanted retribution. The teacher had to follow protocol and report this to Social Services and formal charges were placed against the lady. When she went before the Judge she respectfully relayed to the Judge that the son was picking on a younger child and she repeatedly asked him to stop. She warned him that she would spank him if he continued. He continued and she followed thru. She told the Judge that both of those children were her responsibility and she disciplined to make the children realize that actions had consequences. She continued that if the Court or the State could raise and discipline them more effectively then she would have to defer. The Judge dismissed the case. I still remember this lady and this case after almost 25 years.

Return to Top
#2076470 - 04/29/16 07:18 PM Re: What says you... DD Regs
jafo2 Offline
New Poster
I recall being spanked twice by my mother in both cases I deserved it. I'm glad I don't remember being spanked by my dad with a belt when I was 3. I turned out reasonably well. To say that the cause of someone going off the rails and becoming a serial killer or doing some other negative things just because they were spanked as a child to me seems like a stretch. There are so many variables with growing up to pin it to just that.

Return to Top