Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2104071 - 10/21/16 03:52 PM The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate)
PATSGirl74 Offline
PATSGirl74
Massachusetts
So this season's airing of Charlie Brown's It's The Great Pumpkin special is the 50th anniversary. I grew up watching The Great Pumpkin, I took the kiddos to see the new Peanuts movie (not the best but they enjoyed it) and I seriously loved the Peanuts Gang then and now. This morning on the radio there was a huge debate about whether or not The Great Pumpkin was "appropriate for the children of today's society"
I literally OMG's in the car ..... Seriously. What are your thoughts? Do you think the Peanuts Gang are a "bunch of renegade bullies" and are portrayed in a way that makes "children uncomfortable"?
Maybe it's just me but I have never had an issue with the Peanuts and even though there is an undertone of teasing Charlie Brown in the end I always felt they were all friends and they came together at the end of the shows in a positive way.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2104073 - 10/21/16 04:09 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Just another chapter in this PC "everyone gets a trophy" world.

Return to Top
#2104075 - 10/21/16 04:13 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm offended. :heads off to find a safe space:

Return to Top
#2104082 - 10/21/16 04:28 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Well I have a Peanut allergy so this show should be taken off the air.

Actually I don't have a peanut allergy but I do hate the Peanuts gang!

Return to Top
#2104083 - 10/21/16 04:29 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) RR Becca
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By RR Becca
I'm offended. :heads off to find a safe space:

Your offense offends me. :heads off to the pumpkin patch:

Return to Top
#2104088 - 10/21/16 04:47 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
That explains why Met Life dumped them after 30+ years

CAMS

Return to Top
#2104092 - 10/21/16 05:10 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I think it's still totally appropriate. Yeah, Charlie Brown has trouble with his costume and doesn't get the best treats. But Charlie Brown has always represented the kid who tries and tries and still ends up frustrated. All of the Peanuts gang represent kid behavior you still see today - and the message is very wholesome.

Return to Top
#2104094 - 10/21/16 05:11 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
NorthSouth Offline
Oh for crying out loud....I shudder to think what this generation will be like as adults.

Love The Great Pumpkin and a Charlie Brown Christmas too. Classics!

Return to Top
#2104099 - 10/21/16 05:23 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
::puts a rock in TB 12 treat bag:: smile Trick!!

Return to Top
#2104104 - 10/21/16 05:37 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
people seriously need to get their heads out of their posteriors...go freaking find a way to bring drinking water to drought infected areas, feed the hungry, end homelessness...but seriously, what's next? can't have Fat Albert because it is demeaning to call an overweight person fat? can't have weird Harold because calling someone weird hurts their feelings? Superman is off limits because it doesn't allow for gender neutrality? sheesh...

Return to Top
#2104108 - 10/21/16 05:40 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) NorthSouth
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By NorthSouth
Oh for crying out loud....I shudder to think what this generation will be like as adults.

utilizing the term The "Great" Pumpkin can hurt the feeling of the lesser pumpkins as such would mess with the all get a trophy theory that has been ingrained in this society. now do not get me started in the offensiveness of the term "Christmas"

CAMS

Return to Top
#2104109 - 10/21/16 05:42 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Harold is only weird due to his marijuana consumption and lack of White Castles in his walking distance.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2104115 - 10/21/16 05:51 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
people seriously need to get their heads out of their posteriors...go freaking find a way to bring drinking water to drought infected areas, feed the hungry, end homelessness...but seriously, what's next? can't have Fat calorically challenged Albert because it is demeaning to call an overweight person fat? can't have weird Harold because calling someone weird hurts their feelings? Superman is off limits because it doesn't allow for gender neutrality? sheesh...

You are so insensitive Happy....

Return to Top
#2104118 - 10/21/16 06:03 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) edAudit
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By edAudit

utilizing the term The "Great" Pumpkin can hurt the feeling of the lesser pumpkins as such would mess with the all get a trophy theory that has been ingrained in this society. now do not get me started in the offensiveness of the term "Christmas"

That's it. I'm heading off to the CFPB website to file a complaint about Fair Labeling.

Return to Top
#2104126 - 10/21/16 06:40 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) NorthSouth
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess

This assumes they will ever turn into "adults"...

Return to Top
#2104147 - 10/21/16 07:25 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will scare me for life! and what about that dog fighting beagle!!! We all know flying dogs can not shoot bullets from their paws!! Think of the children.

Return to Top
#2104154 - 10/21/16 07:50 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) Wolfy
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By Wolfy
and what about that dog fighting beagle!!! We all know flying dogs can not shoot bullets from their paws!! Think of the children.

There needs to be an investigation as to how the Daisy Hill Puppy Farm turned Snoopy into such a war monger. laugh

Return to Top
#2104159 - 10/21/16 08:02 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
Crazy in Compliance Offline
Ohio
Oh, come on - that is just crazy !!!!! I also heard that Met Life is changing it's mascot and Snoopy won't be in the Thanksgiving Parade anymore. I'm not sure if he'll be in this year's or not. Boo-Hoo!

Return to Top
#2104180 - 10/21/16 10:22 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
These people don't have much trouble in their lives if this is all they can think of to complain about. They should be counting their blessings.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2104187 - 10/22/16 02:01 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
RIght?! Surely there are bigger hills to die on.

Return to Top
#2104196 - 10/24/16 12:57 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
EEGB - I like that...i'll be stealing it for future use

Return to Top
#2104326 - 10/24/16 07:27 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
PATSGirl74 Offline
PATSGirl74
Massachusetts
Ahhhhh Thank You BOL peeps. I was beginning to think it was ME. I could not believe it - and how people were so enraged by it. So right it is a new generation of participation trophy babies

Return to Top
#2104599 - 10/25/16 09:59 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
EB, CAMS Offline
100 Club
EB, CAMS
flyover country
participation trophy babies. HA!

Return to Top
#2104640 - 10/26/16 01:41 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The only horse show 'award' I ever got that didn't make it to some sort of display was the participation ribbon they gave me at national finals my freshman year of college. I cannot tell you how badly that ribbon ticked me off.

Return to Top
#2104669 - 10/26/16 02:31 PM Re: The Great Pumpkin debate (not that sort of debate) PATSGirl74
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
^^^
What you have all said, I agree.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2