Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2199979 - 12/06/18 04:31 PM Home Security Video Systems
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Anyone here have a home security video system that they recommend?

Been pondering getting one for our home but wanted to hear any good or bad issues you all may have experienced, thanks.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2199996 - 12/06/18 05:39 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Inside or outside?

We use Ring doorbell currently and are planning to upgrade to full perimeter video soon. One thing we have discovered is that the wireless monitoring systems are not nearly as good as the wired. We had a wireless Ring camera on the garage / driveway and it was super laggy - people would have already disappeared from the driveway before the notification even came up. The wired version is real-time and better quality video in low light.

Return to Top
#2200000 - 12/06/18 05:57 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Primarily outside. Thanks for that. How long ago did you use the wireless? Just wondering if they have been improved at all if it's been a little while. Thanks again.

Return to Top
#2200007 - 12/06/18 06:34 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
and a loaded 12 gauge to enhance whatever security system you go with

Return to Top
#2200068 - 12/06/18 10:40 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Wireless was less than a year ago. If you have really strong / stable wifi where you are, it could work. If wiring it is going to be a major hassle, might be worth trying wireless first.

Peepers - definitely!!

Return to Top
#2200070 - 12/06/18 11:15 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Ring is very good, a few friends have it.

We have SimpliSafe for a complete interior/exterior system. We installed it ourselves, with no issues. Monitoring is substantially less than other vendors, and you don't even need to get the monitoring option. When we got it, they threw in an interior camera for free. Since ours is monitored, there is a premium reduction in the homeowners insurance. (the system works - I accidently set down a package on an panic alarm, the alarm went off, and my daughter and I got calls on our cell phones within seconds.)

Return to Top
#2200081 - 12/07/18 01:27 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Rocky - I currently have Vivint, but have thought about switching to SimpliSafe. From your post it appears to work well.

Return to Top
#2200105 - 12/07/18 04:07 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
We currently have SimpliSafe for our security system, but our video camera on the front door is Nest (we have Nest thermostats and they had a good deal). I've been less than thrilled with the Nest camera (wireless). Had a number of times of it going offline and also a lot of notifications at night based on insects flying.

Return to Top
#2200124 - 12/07/18 06:10 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I've been using Ring for both a doorbell and garage (outdoor) camera for 2 years. Love it!

Return to Top
#2200209 - 12/10/18 03:13 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
I had no idea this many people would even have a security system … living in rural WI it has never even crossed my mind. Honestly, good luck to anyone who tries to break into any of the houses near me.

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
#2200260 - 12/10/18 07:47 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Thanks everyone. We also live in a more rural area, but things happen and people do bad and stupid things. I'd rather have a security system (and a gun is next) than not. I don't want to have a problem, but I want to be prepared if something happens.

Return to Top
#2200262 - 12/10/18 08:23 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
ComplianceNewbie Offline
New Poster
I've got a Ring Video Doorbell Pro(wired) and multiple Ring Spotlight Cams(Battery). The cameras are fantastic, and you can set up custom notifications to suit your needs. As others have stated, make sure you have a strong and stable Wi-Fi connection for these products. I would also recommend getting an extra battery if you decide on any batter powered cameras. The stated battery life is not accurate, but the Spotlight Cams can hold two batteries at a time.Ring also released a self install security system in the second half of this year. It was suppose to come out last year; however, the release was delayed due to ligation with ADT.

I do not personally own a Simplisafe system, but a friend of mine absolutely loves his.

Return to Top
#2200330 - 12/11/18 03:52 PM Re: Home Security Video Systems MB Guy
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
DoS, I'm in a fairly rural area, but do have the security system (my wife is at home alone a lot during the day), backed up with two handguns and a tactical 12-gauge shotgun that both my wife and I know how to use.

Return to Top