BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2273622 - 08/01/22 01:47 PM NOLA
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
The wife and I may be in NOLA for a long weekend next month and I was hoping for some suggestions on things to do/see. I was there 6 years ago and she has never been. She wants to visit Bourbon Street, but I think one trip will be enough for her. Any suggestions on things to do/see and where to stay would be appreciated.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2273625 - 08/01/22 01:56 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I've only been once, but while my husband and I were there back in 2005, we did a tour of the Oak Alley Plantation. I loved it! It was beautiful. We took a bus from New Orleans to the plantation and they did a tour of the house and gardens. The trees out front are amazing!!

Return to Top
#2273626 - 08/01/22 02:09 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Yes - One trip to Bourbon is probably enough for anyone over the age of 25. The National WWII Museum I think is a must see. They have a great aquarium. You can spend most of a day just wandering around the French Market and all the shops and art galleries on Royal and the rest of the quarter. We always focus on food when we are there. Great restaurants. You going to hotel it or VRBO?

Return to Top
#2273630 - 08/01/22 02:45 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Yea, we are over 25, so I would agree Randy. I think the plan is to stay at a hotel.

Return to Top
#2273637 - 08/01/22 03:56 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
raitchjay Online
Power Poster
OK
I really want to eat in New Orleans (the array of great, historic restaurants seems never-ending), and see the historical stuff. I just don't want to drive or fly to New Orleans. Have fun ACBbank.

Return to Top
#2273648 - 08/01/22 05:06 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
well...first of all, August in NOLA is hot as hades, and as humid as a 14 year old boys armpits during puberty...so be aware that if you plan on doing a lot of outside walking or cycling you will be sweatier than your last trip to a health club sauna. that being said...

tons of things to see and do. Crime has been up a lot lately, so you may not want to do a lot of walking around off the beaten path in the FQ after dark. many a great restaurant, from Commander's Palace -typically one of the top 5 rated restaurants in the US annually and you need a jacket to think about entering - to hole in the wall BBQ and Pizza places, and everything in between. Do not eat at any restaurant that has a guy out front waving menus to get you inside, these are tourist traps and not good. some places to consider (in no certain order, and fancy to not as well, and all in downtown/FQ area or a short uber or streetcar ride away):

Commander's Palace
Galatoire's
pizza delicious
crescent city steaks
ruby slipper cafe
cafe du monde
cochon or cochon butcher
pesche
willa jean
parkway bakery (po-boys)
cafe maspero
dat dog
port of call
the joint (bbq)
french toast
Venezia's
Katie's mid-city
Liuzza's (cash only)
Angelo Brocato (for dessert)
Horn's Eatery
Elizabeth's
Bywater Bakery
Joey K's
Mahoney's po-boys
Atchafalaya
Clancy's
Shaya
Luke
Jacques-Imo's (near impossible to get in, but worth the effort)
Emeril's

Too hot for the zoo, too hot for a riverboat cruise take the Canal Street ferry for a quick trip across the river and back, has AC and only costs a few bucks, faster and better than a 3-hour river cruise which gets boring after 15 minutes), may be too hot for an airboat ride or swamp tour, aquarium is nice and AC. WW2 musuem is huge, covering multiple buildings, you won't be able to get through more than 1-2 in a day, but worth it (Higgins Hotel across the street is cool, and has a nice rooftop bar with a great view). Ride the streetcar. browse all the unique shops on magazine street. check out the jazz lounge at the ritz-carlton. a number of good micro-breweries if you like beer (Urban South, 2nd line are a couple of good ones). National Park service does free walking tours in FQ. ghost and vampire tours after dark. carriage rides are over-rated and most of what they tell you is fabricated. JAMNOLA is an interactive art experience.

this should give you a good start...

Return to Top
#2273655 - 08/01/22 06:57 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
Happy - thanks for the great info. We are actually looking at the middle to end of September. This is very helpful.

Return to Top
#2273661 - 08/01/22 08:02 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
middle of september is 2nd summer for us! when you get a little closer and are looking to refine the list a bit, holler back at me with questions you may have. hopefully we remain hurricane free this year!

Return to Top
#2278036 - 11/18/22 08:39 PM Re: NOLA ACBbank
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
well...first of all, August in NOLA is hot as hades, and as humid as a 14 year old boys armpits during puberty...so be aware that if you plan on doing a lot of outside walking or cycling you will be sweatier than your last trip to a health club sauna

Happy - my wife and I have thought about New Orleans trip. When? Who knows???? But for potential planning...when would you suggest a trip?

Return to Top
#2278253 - 11/28/22 06:12 PM Re: NOLA burkemi
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted by burkemi
well...first of all, August in NOLA is hot as hades, and as humid as a 14 year old boys armpits during puberty...so be aware that if you plan on doing a lot of outside walking or cycling you will be sweatier than your last trip to a health club sauna

Happy - my wife and I have thought about New Orleans trip. When? Who knows???? But for potential planning...when would you suggest a trip?

today. weather is a perfect 68 with 70% humidity and not a cloud in the sky

late fall and early spring is always good

Return to Top