Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#91114 - 06/24/03 08:27 PM Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a video/audio file (1753 KB) of part of a Robin Williams skit regarding golf that is hilarious. Problem is that it is very profane. Not sure if MB would post it, but MB if you would, let me know and I will send it to you. Just filled with the "f" word, but it is good!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#91115 - 06/24/03 08:33 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Robin Williams, the guy with more seamen then the 5th fleet?

Return to Top
#91116 - 06/24/03 08:42 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
My parents sent this to me not to long ago:

Robin Williams' Plan for Peace

I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan:

1) The US will apologize to the world for our "interference" in their affairs, past & present. We will promise never to "interfere" again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany, South Korea and the Philippines. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No more sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days, the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of who or where they are. France would welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90-day visits unless given a special permit. No one from a terrorist nation would be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself, don't hide here. Asylum would not ever be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers.

5) No "students" over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a "D" and it's back home, baby.

6) The US will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing nonpolluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else.

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not "interfere". They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides, most of what we give them gets "lost" or is taken by their army. The people who need it most get very little, anyway.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an island some place. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, it would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

9b) Use the buildings as replacement for the twin towers.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us "Ugly Americans" any longer.

Now, ain't that a winner of a plan? "The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'"

- Robin Williams

Return to Top
#91117 - 06/24/03 08:54 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Claim: Comedian Robin Williams came up with a plan for how the U.S. should handle foreign affairs.

Origins: We don't yet know who is responsible for the piece quoted above, but it definitely wasn't actor-comedian Robin Williams (of Mork & Mindy fame). This item's debut appears to have been a 20 March 2003 posting to the USENET newsgroup alt.motorcycles.harley, and from there it was rapidly disseminated via e-mail and blogs, credited to either "author unknown" or no one at all. The Robin Williams attribution wasn't tacked on until several weeks later, apparently because along the way someone appended a genuine Robin Williams quote to the list as an eleventh item:

"The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your poor, your tired, your huddled masses.' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'You want a piece of me?'" - Robin Williams.

Obviously the Robin Williams attribution for the final item was interpreted as applying to the list as a whole, so now the entire piece is making the rounds as 'the Robin Williams plan.'

Last updated: 24 May 2003

The URL for this page is http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/williams.asp

Return to Top
#91118 - 06/24/03 09:26 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I wonder why I don't participate more.

Return to Top
#91119 - 06/24/03 09:29 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Quote:

It was a good one - no matter who wrote it, right Kara?

Return to Top
#91120 - 06/24/03 09:30 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Thank you! I'll have to go and yell at my parents and tell them to make sure what they send me is legit!

Return to Top
#91121 - 06/24/03 09:35 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

It was a good one - no matter who wrote it, right Kara?

I agree - must be nitpicky tuesday

Return to Top
#91122 - 06/24/03 09:36 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey, its legit--just not from Robin Williams. The only reason I checked is that it was not as CRAZY as RW usually is (didn't seem like him to make such a wordy list--he's more of an ad-libber/one-liner/) and I doubted that he was that conservative.

Return to Top
#91123 - 06/24/03 10:07 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
So can we vote tomorrow as "Okay, so I'm wrong, what big $%&*# difference does it make anyway!" Wednesday?

Return to Top
#91124 - 06/24/03 11:05 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
I played soccer at international level - what's the easiest way to learn golf?

Return to Top
#91125 - 06/25/03 01:28 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Think of your putter as your leg on a penalty kick. The ball is usually going to go in the direction that your non-kicking foot is pointed, so assuming you are a righty, keep your left arm staright in line with the hole as you make your putting stroke - of course, penalty box areas don't have slopes and little holes from where people don't rapir their ball marks!

Return to Top
#91126 - 06/25/03 08:14 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

Think of your putter as your leg on a penalty kick. The ball is usually going to go in the direction that your non-kicking foot is pointed, so assuming you are a righty, keep your left arm staright in line with the hole as you make your putting stroke - of course, penalty box areas don't have slopes and little holes from where people don't rapir their ball marks!

That's sacrilege!! You should not compare a fantastic sport like soccer to a non-sport like golf. Puhleeezz!!

Return to Top
#91127 - 06/25/03 08:24 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

Think of your putter as your leg on a penalty kick. The ball is usually going to go in the direction that your non-kicking foot is pointed, so assuming you are a righty, keep your left arm staright in line with the hole as you make your putting stroke - of course, penalty box areas don't have slopes and little holes from where people don't rapir their ball marks! [/quote

I guess when that fails, I can Bend it Like Beckham!

Return to Top
#91128 - 06/25/03 08:24 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh c'mon - they are just very different. I've played and coached soccer for 35 years now and golfed for about 20. I play soccer fairly well, coach better than I play, and stink at golf, but they are both fun, but very different, but just like all sports, they have a lot of common features. Eye concentration, body positioning, etc. Biggest difference is soccer you have to be in shape, golf you don't! (at least from a non-professional aspect)

Return to Top
#91129 - 06/25/03 08:27 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
The thing that interests me most is in soccer you drink beer after the game while in golf you can drink during the game!

Return to Top
#91130 - 06/25/03 08:28 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
Quote:

That's sacrilege!! You should not compare a fantastic sport like soccer to a non-sport like golf. Puhleeezz!!

This is America. Soccer is still a non-entity to the vast majority of the US population. I read a story recently where David Beckham (sp) allegedly a huge worldwide star was upset with a shoe store in Beverly Hills that wouldn't give him the star treatment of shutting down during his shopping because they had no clue who he was - classic statement on the status of soccer in the USA.

Return to Top
#91131 - 06/25/03 08:35 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Correct, but the inverse is also true! No one, at least in the six countries I have lived in, knew anything about the NBA, NFL and MLB.

Return to Top
#91132 - 06/25/03 08:42 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
What's too bad IS the status of "soccer" in the U.S. (called football everywhere else). In soccer, the entire team is made up of top-notch in-shape true-athletes....as opposed to the American football, where only a scant few of the team could be classified as healthy people. Now, don't get me wrong. Football is THE American sport and that's fine. For kids, though, soccer is a sport where everyone gets to play and everyone gets to play equally.....as opposed to football (where a few only get to block) and baseball (where kids get to step up and bat every now and then and stand out on the field waiting for a ball that might come their way). Understand....I'm not knocking those sports for kids....I think ANY kind of organized activity (sport related or not) is important for children...keeps'em out of trouble.

Gee. I've gotten off the subject. Regarding golf, I think it's too technical to be called a sport. It's a game. All games are not sports. I admire ANYONE who can play the game of golf. It's WAY too challenging for me!! I'd rather just walk along on the beautiful course while hubby plays.

Return to Top
#91133 - 06/26/03 04:10 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Quote:

Correct, but the inverse is also true! No one, at least in the six countries I have lived in, knew anything about the NBA, NFL and MLB.

I thought that Michael Jordan was known around the world, I'm surprised to hear that he isn't. I can't think of any football players who would be famous around the world, but I would have also thought that Mark McGwire would be known around the world.

As for David Beckham, even though I don't enjoy soccer, I know who he is. He is the dude who married Posh Spice, but I doubt that he'd need security to shop in the US (unless he was with Posh).

Return to Top
#91134 - 06/26/03 04:15 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

what's the easiest way to learn golf?

Alien,

1. Increase your tolerance for drinking beer!
2. Learn new curse words/phrases!
3. Increase your tolerance for drinking beer!!

Return to Top
#91135 - 06/26/03 04:19 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
Quote:

As far as the NBA goes look how many foreign born stars they have now Yao Ming, Dirk Nowitski, etc. plus it looks like the number 2 pick will be foreign born I think that shows growth for a "US" sport. Baseball wouldn't be near as interesting without players from Latin American Country and now spreading into Asia with Japenese and Korean players.

I really don't see the same growth here for the sport of soccer as I do internationally for these "US" sports.

I'll agree with you on the NFL though it will always be a US only thing even with NFL Europe in existence.

Return to Top
#91136 - 06/26/03 04:25 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Alien,

1. Increase your tolerance for drinking beer!
2. Learn new curse words/phrases!
3. Increase your tolerance for drinking beer!!

That's the best advise I have had in..in...in the last16 hours!

Return to Top
#91137 - 06/26/03 04:47 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
RGS GO ROYALS...brought to you by ALIEN...wow I'd like to use that on another thread!

Well I got to admit that most of the places I have lived in have been third world countries. Michael Jordan is one person whose face has traveled around the world but in many parts it has been through the “goodwill” handout of clothing; more of a necessity to cover up from the elements than a fashion statement. Folks knew it was "Michael Jordan" but had no clue what he. Plus it’s a lot easier to roll up old rags for a soccer ball than get hoops and a basketball.

One thing I would say is that the hooliganism associated with soccer and the amount of people that have died at soccer games around the world is something that we can never imagine happening in the sports played here. Heck, it makes the attack by the father and son on the third base umpire look like a cockfight (no pun intended!).

I hope I make sense as English happens to be my 3rd language!

Return to Top
#91138 - 06/26/03 05:05 PM Re: Any Robin Williams/Golf Lovers out there???
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's also probably true that soccer/football would be much more highly regarded in the U.S. but for the focus of the major television networks on the "U.S." sports of football, baseball, and basketball. ABC turned Monday Night Football into a societal phenomenon.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2