Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#138100 - 12/10/03 04:24 PM Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Even though some might not think the Sooners deserve to be #1, they are starting to rack up some awards.

Derrick Strait was named as the Bronko Nagursky Defensive Player of the Year.

Bob Stoops was named the American Football Coaches Association Regional Coach of the Year.

Bob Stoops was named the Big 12 Coach of the Year.

Jason White was named Sporting News Player of the Year.

Last edited by Boomermom; 12/10/03 04:35 PM.
Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#138101 - 12/10/03 05:45 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Just found out that Jason White was Sports Illustrated's pick for Player of the Year.

Return to Top
#138102 - 12/10/03 06:03 PM Re: Football Awards
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
Being a Sooner fan originally from Iowa, I'd like to note the Stoops played for Iowa as did Chuch Long and some others. Sorry, I don't get to brag on my homestate very often! So, do you think White will get the Heisman?

Return to Top
#138103 - 12/10/03 06:16 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
If they go on statistics - yes.

If they only look at his last game - no.

Return to Top
#138104 - 12/11/03 05:25 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Two more awards for the Sooners.

Jason White was the AP Player of the Year
Tommie Harris won the Lombardi Trophy.

Sorry, y'all if I am boring you, but I'm excited for my Sooners!

"BOOMER......"

Return to Top
#138105 - 12/11/03 05:50 PM Re: Football Awards
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Quote:

"BOOMER......"

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONER!!

Return to Top
#138106 - 12/11/03 05:59 PM Re: Football Awards
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

If stats are what they look at, where is that Kansas State running back? Sooner fans, what is his name again?

Return to Top
#138107 - 12/11/03 06:28 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Yeah, yeah, Z, how can we forget Sproles! But were his stats over the season that much over anyone else? I really don't know. Since he wasn't talked about, I have nothing to compare him to. Doesn't he still have another year???

Return to Top
#138108 - 12/11/03 06:58 PM Re: Football Awards
Anonymous
Unregistered

Our Coach Saban just won the AP Coach of the Year award!!! Now let's hope my Tigers can win the AP Team of the Year award in January!!!!!

Return to Top
#138109 - 12/11/03 06:59 PM Re: Football Awards
Geaux Tigers - PL Offline
100 Club
Geaux Tigers - PL
Texas
Sorry about the anon post. Did realize I wasn't signed on!

Return to Top
#138110 - 12/11/03 07:15 PM Re: Football Awards
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Boomermom--He has 1948.

Even without the game against Oklahoma, he would have been the top rusher in the country. When was the last time the top rusher in the country was not in the top 5 in Heisman voting? I don't think it has ever happened. But it may in 2003. Some folks who voted prior to the KSU v. Sooner game, might have voted for Sproles if they had seen this game first. He has more than Turner of Northern Illinois (with their suspect schedule) who is #2. He has more than Knight of Boston College who is #3. And he has about 350 more yards than Heisman candidate Perry of Michigan who is 4th. All this with a strength of schedule slightly better than Oklahoma's (10 vs. 11).

Return to Top
#138111 - 12/11/03 07:59 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Sounds like some PR person wasn't doing his job and Perry's was.

Return to Top
#138112 - 12/11/03 08:14 PM Re: Football Awards
Anonymous
Unregistered

They don't know his name he was running way to far ahead of them.

Return to Top
#138113 - 12/11/03 08:37 PM Re: Football Awards
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Sounds like some PR person wasn't doing his job and Perry's was.

That's just the point. Why don't they just give the Heisman to the best college PR guy. It would be more honest than calling it an award for the best player.

Return to Top
#138114 - 12/11/03 08:43 PM Re: Football Awards
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Z- I agree wholeheartedly. The Heisman is nothing more than a popularity contest.

Return to Top
#138115 - 12/11/03 08:43 PM Re: Football Awards
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Did you read that there will be no split national championship after the bowls? The polls will not ask coaches and writers to rank a #1 team because that team will already be crowned after the Sugar Bowl.

I suppose the voters could select either OU or LSU (depending on who wins) as their #2 and then not rank USC--with the assumption that they would have been their number 1 if given the chance.

Return to Top
#138116 - 12/11/03 09:36 PM Re: Football Awards
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Quote:

Quote:

If stats are what they look at, where is that Kansas State running back? Sooner fans, what is his name again?

I watched Sproles every now and then and he was fantastic. ESPN knew who he was!!

Return to Top
#138117 - 12/11/03 09:44 PM Re: Football Awards
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Z- where did you read that? I would be interested in reading that article. I think that's good. A "split national championship" is an oxymoron. They ought to run the BCS after the bowls, but they never will. They are afraid that the BCS will contradict itself . Think about it...what is the possibility that the winner of the Rose Bowl could be number 1 and ranked ahead of the sUGAr bowl winner, particularly if the Rose is a blowout and the sUGAr is close?

Return to Top
#138118 - 12/11/03 09:52 PM Re: Football Awards
hogfan Offline
hogfan
Ar
My objection to the Heisman is that it seems to be based more on the success of the team rather than the individuals performance. An outstanding player on a weak team in a strong conference now seems to have no chance. I don't think that any of the other highly regarded candidates did as much as Eli Manning with a suspect supporting cast.

Return to Top
#138119 - 12/11/03 10:23 PM Re: Football Awards
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
In general, hogfan, I agree with you. However, Jason White has something like a 5 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio. Larry Fitzgerald holds the record for the most consecutive games with a touchdown. While there is certainly validity to the arguement of a supporting cast, at some point in every play, individual players make individual decisions. White decides where he wants to throw the ball. Fitzgerald decides how to beat a bump and run coverage. Manning is certainly deserving, but the other guys are, too. Every great player has a supporting cast. White can't throw for all those touchdowns if he's running for his life or on his can every play. Fitzgerald can't catch touchdown passes if his QB throws it to the other team all the time. If UGA's line wasn't so young, we may even be talking about David Greene for the Heisman (though he's no Jason White or Eli Manning). Greene had struggles of his own this year, apart from his line. The biggest beef I have with the Heisman is that it compares apples to oranges. QB's are not running backs and vice versa. Different skill requirements, different decision making requirements, etc.

Return to Top
#138120 - 12/11/03 10:51 PM Re: Football Awards
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

Z- where did you read that? I would be interested in reading that article. I think that's good. A "split national championship" is an oxymoron. They ought to run the BCS after the bowls, but they never will. They are afraid that the BCS will contradict itself . Think about it...what is the possibility that the winner of the Rose Bowl could be number 1 and ranked ahead of the sUGAr bowl winner, particularly if the Rose is a blowout and the sUGAr is close?

I think I read it on ESPN.com or SI.com. They said that several coaches who voted USC #1 on their ballots, planned to do so again if USC won. The BCS folks said, whoa! You don't get to vote on #1. USC's coach cried, "foul." I think the article said that the BCS meets again this year and that agreement may be up for review. Apparently, the voters agreed to this arrangement with the BCS--or at least their schools or conferences did.

Return to Top
#138121 - 12/11/03 10:58 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
I agree it is hard to compare positions. But I think you have to look at how each plays his position and come up with some type of a comparison as to how well he played his position to how well another played a different position. It's always tough to beat out QBs because they are the "court general". If they didn't have the capabilities of changing plays and reading defenses then that RB might not have much success. Then again, I have seen some RBs that seem to find holes when there are none. The same with receivers. The QB has to get it there, but they better have the hands to be able to pull it in and even those that are not quite on. It's a tough call. And yes, I'm prejudiced! But I also appreciate all the other players, I just hope Jason wins.

Return to Top
#138122 - 12/12/03 02:42 PM Re: Football Awards
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, I know that the ESPN/USA Today poll has an agreement to vote the winner of the BCS title game #1, but I don't think that agreement extends to the AP. This is such a joke. I hope Michigan wins the Rose Bowl.

Return to Top
#138123 - 12/12/03 03:21 PM Re: Football Awards
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Just awarded last night --

Jason White - Davey O'Brien Award
Teddy Lehman - Bednarik Award
Derrick Strait - Jim Thorpe Award

On, yeah, Eli Manning did get the Maxwell Award. Guess they can't give all of them to Jason!

Return to Top
#138124 - 12/12/03 03:32 PM Re: Football Awards
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
hogfan, I'm there with you on Eli. He did a lot for his team and the Ole Miss program in spite of the supporting cast. He is also a scholar athlete and has showed real class in his attitude on and off the field.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2