Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#194693 - 05/27/04 03:08 PM American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Was it just me, or do you all want to see Diana record "I Believe"? I know Fantasia, as the winner, has the rights to record the song written by Tamyra Grey, but when Diana does her album, will Fantasia have the right to allow Diana to record it also?

Other points from last night:

65 MILLION VOTES: When the opened the number of lines up, look at the difference. Three times the number of votes as last season. While I know the number of viewers has grown, part of this is an increased ability to vote. Let's hope they improve upon this for the entirety of next season.

Castaway Performances: I knew that some of the castaways would get contracts again, just like Tamyra Grey, Justin Guarini, and Clay Aiken, but seeing them all perform last night some of them surprised me. I can easily see Diana DeGarmo, Amy Adams, George Huff, Jennifer Hudson, Matt Rogers, Latoya London, and even possibly Camile Velasco, John Stevens, or Leah LeBelle getting contracts. Meanwhile, Jasmine Trias only hurt her chances with a TERRIBLE performance.

Age Requirement: Simon talked early in the season about AI needing to institute an age requirement that said you had to be at least 18 to try out. I think with the way Diana performed as the season went on, and how much she grew in the competition he'll let that go away. After all out of 70,000 trying to get on the show this season, 4 of the top 12 were under age 18. This means you can have talent before you turn 18. Will you win? Maybe not, but you certainly can. After all when you consider the fact that Diana was within 2% of winning, who knows who could win if they did it all again.

Milking the Show: Ok, last season the results shows were 30 minutes, and this year they increased to a full hour because Fox realized we will watch any AI we can. America is enthralled by this talent show. Next year we can look for even more "extra" no-judge shows, and more and more AI. With Friends and Frasier out of the picture, AI may even move to a Wednesday/Thursday schedule to capture the new days and prevent "Joey" from taking off.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#194694 - 05/27/04 03:14 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am reposting my post from other post ???????? (since Michael started a new one). But I have to disagree with your statement that the others will get contracts. I think they will all be long forgotten, as will Kelly Clarkson and Ruben and Clay, etc. I actually think Fantasia may have a chance to have staying power because I could see her on Broadway and the pop cahrts and the movies too. Plus, can you imagine how well she could do being a voice in an animated movie!

Cheers to Fantasticasia! She deserved it. And my hats off to Diana also - she really showed that she deserved to be in at least the final 3 or 4. What amazed me last night was that with the exception of LaToya and Jennifer, was how average both Kelly and Ruben sounded, and how absolutely horrible the rest of this year's final 12 were. Carmen was absolutely adorable, but her voice is just awful. And is there a bigger ham than Matt? Jasmine's song outside the theater was embarrassing. I found the two-hour show tough to watch, especially things like Jennifer Love Hewitt as a hostess, or Clay and Kimberly who apparently are now qualified to be TV reporters. I will say that Ryan Seacrest does a very good job - he does what he does very naturally - and I was cracking up at the end when the confetti stuck to his head!

Return to Top
#194695 - 05/27/04 03:42 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

I was cracking up at the end when the confetti stuck to his head!

Too funny!!!

Return to Top
#194696 - 05/27/04 03:57 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I think they will all be long forgotten, as will Kelly Clarkson and Ruben and Clay, etc.

Or will they be long forgotten like Dexy's Midnight runners? Or like Kajagoogoo? Or Eddy Grant? Or Johnny Hates Jazz? All these one hit wonders have one thing in common. They found a following, had a big hit, and have rode that hit to being famous.

I agree Fantasia has much more staying power than any of the other American Idol contestants, but I think every last one (even JPL) of them could record an album and sell it out and even get one good hit.

Return to Top
#194697 - 05/27/04 05:55 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did anyone else notice that JPL looked a little goofy last night? Like he was a little lost? All I could think of is that he had some valium ahead of time. I agree that Rueben and Kelly paled in comparison to the others last night, but that just may be me living in the moment for Fantasia and Diana. I couldn't help but think, "what an awesome experience for all of those kids?" and I'd get goosebumps.

Return to Top
#194698 - 05/27/04 07:09 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Did anyone else notice that JPL looked a little goofy last night? Like he was a little lost? All I could think of is that he had some valium ahead of time.

I thought he looked stoned out of his mind. I guess valium could be the answer tho!

Return to Top
#194699 - 05/27/04 07:55 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
FlBankerGal Offline
FlBankerGal
65 million votes for AI. How many people voted in the last Presidential election?? Maybe we should change the way we vote - instead of going to polling places we can either call or text message. Since I'm from Florida we wouldn't have any of those "hanging chad" issues!!!

Return to Top
#194700 - 05/27/04 10:01 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Quote:

Or will they be long forgotten like Dexy's Midnight runners? Or like Kajagoogoo? Or Eddy Grant? Or Johnny Hates Jazz?

Dude, I totally rocked to Johnny Hates Jazz! Okay...to their one hit. In fact, I tried to find it as a download on Musicmatch and was most wroth to be denied.

Anyway, as far as Idol is concerned, hopefully this win will silence the idiotic debate over the racism that is allegedly inherent in the show. Whatever.

Return to Top
#194701 - 05/28/04 12:50 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
lblu Offline
Gold Star
lblu
Quote:

65 million votes for AI. How many people voted in the last Presidential election??

I wonder how many individuals voted. In my opinion, AI should limit the vote to one vote per person (I'm not sure how/or if they could technically do this). One person/one vote would really quantify America's interest rather than the inflated numbers provided by automatic dialers, etc.

Return to Top
#194702 - 05/28/04 04:26 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I logged out because I am a wimp and I'm going to post something controversial. I Loved Fantasia. I hope that with her new found fame she will speak out against unprotected sex to her fans. I almost feel that her becoming the American Idol will make teen motherhood more acceptable and the girls will think, so what? Fantasia made it. My neice had a baby at 16. She finished HS, graduated college and is happily married now. But, she tells me she missed out on a lot and although she doesn't regret having her daughter she knows that her life could have been a little different if she made different choices. I hope Fantasia's stardom doesn't glamorize teen motherhood. I like what she said in her press conference about how happy she was American accepted her for being a single teen mom and that she plans to work hard to give her baby the best. It just bothers me that the new AMERICAN IDOL is a teen Mom. I'm not doubting her talent, I voted for her. My main concern is that young girls will "idolize" her. Go ahead, tear me apart...

Return to Top
#194703 - 05/28/04 04:34 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I won't tear you apart - I will just get out my American Flag and our constitution and our bill of rights and say that in this country, everyone (who lives their life within the laws of this land) should have the opportunity to follow their dream, regardless of things such as situations that others may not find morally acceptable.

Return to Top
#194704 - 05/28/04 05:11 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dave, you are 100% right about people following their dreams, bill of rights, etc. I live in an area where teen pregnancy is rampant and we are one place in the country where it is on the rise, so I am very sensitive to it. I am glad that she is standing up and being proud of who she is, I just hope that we aren't sending the wrong message to our girls. Face it, Fantasia is an exception. I volunteer at a homeless shelter for families and the majority are very young mothers and their kids who don't have a snowflake's chance in hell of ever being self sufficient partially because of the "system" (but that's another rant). Thanks for opening my eyes a little more with your insight.

Return to Top
#194705 - 05/28/04 06:39 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too logged out b/c I know that some will disagree with what I am about to say. First of all - F. voice is incredible!!! I admire her hard work and now winning AI she will be a big star.
But she was absent from her daughter for 3 months (as she stated on the show) and now according to Ruben and Clay she will be on the road and her life will be in a tail spin.
My concerns are - she is not raising her daughter if others are caring for her daughter. I know that she wanted to have money to be able to provide 'things' for her child. But what any child needs is a full time mom and with the stardom schedule that F. will have now - will she be raising her daughter or just providing???? I too am concern with her being a role model as the other anonymous poster stated. I also think AI needs to change the rules and only let 18 and above audition.

Return to Top
#194706 - 06/01/04 01:49 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
1/3rd of the final 12 out of 70,000 who tried to make the cut were under age 18 this time around. How can you not allow some of the most talented people in the country to be on the show when you have proof in people like Diana DeGarmo (16) who showed this year that she was something special and made it as far as #2? When you have people like LeAnn Rimes who started her career young and has been fine? When we allow child actors on nearly every show on television, and have people like Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen show kids how they can get rich and famous as child actors? To say that age is a factor in entertainment is a bunch of horsepooey!

The question isn't age, it's is the person good enough!

As for the single mom problem, Fantasia is very lucky to have the full support of her family, who are helping to make this possible for her. Is that wrong? I certainly hope not, because then it is wrong for my sister to go back to college so that she can better support her child after finding out her ex-husband was abusive and becoming a single mom. She works full time, and goes to school full time, leaving her very little time for her child for the next 4-5 years. At the same time, my parents are there to help her raise her child and make sure that she is able to give him the best life he could have. I admire both my sister and Fantasia for doing whatever it takes to find a way to give her child the best in the world. Remember, she couldn't afford a car before she was able to use her talent to make the money she needed to raise that child.

Return to Top
#194707 - 06/01/04 02:09 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is the orginal anon that raised the Fantasia Mom issue. I admire her as well and I think it is great the support she receives from her family. My neice would have not gotten where she is without the family sticking by her. I am just afraid of how her single momism affects the young population who idolize pop stars and actresses. I was just as concerned of how Britney Spears affected the young girls (look at how they all dress now?)

Return to Top
#194708 - 06/01/04 03:41 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

This is the orginal anon that raised the Fantasia Mom issue. I admire her as well and I think it is great the support she receives from her family. My neice would have not gotten where she is without the family sticking by her. I am just afraid of how her single momism affects the young population who idolize pop stars and actresses. I was just as concerned of how Britney Spears affected the young girls (look at how they all dress now?)

Too late! "Single momism" is already a part of our country. It, along with the new gay marriage push are totally redefining what family is in this country. Is it right? I don't think so. Is it fact? You can't deny this.

The truth of the matter is that the moral backbone our country once had is gone, and children are having children, and raising them alone. Homosexuals want to have children, and despite this being naturally impossible, they are pushing to be allowed to adopt and have their children born via labwork. Family is being forever changed as we speak.

The question to ask is one that we as a nation have refused to answer. What is morally right?

Return to Top
#194709 - 06/01/04 06:04 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gay marriage and teen moms- I'm not judging their morals. Who defines morals anyways? I just didn't want 14 year olds having babies that they can't support (financially and emotionally) because they see someone on TV who made it ( I know there are many other reasons this happens). I support gay marriage and single moms. I also support responsible choices. I don't support the media glamorizing premarital casual sex amongst young people(the "OC"), cigarette, drug& alcohol use and teen parenthood. That was my point, which I probably didn't articulate well.

Return to Top
#194710 - 06/01/04 07:31 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let's just remember that you are talking about morality, not legality. What is moral to some is not to others. Whether we are talking about single moms, teen pregnancies (which are two different things by the way), homsexuality, gay marriage...those are all things that are not illegal. I understand that gay marriage is not legal is most places, but it is not illegal in the sense that dealing drugs is, and even that is legal in some areas of the world. My point is this - I am not stupid enough to think that there are not things in life that are clearly legal yet highly immoral, but before we start putting forth opinions on the morality or immorality of single motherhood, I wonder what some of you might think if the world took a u-turn and all of a sudden, the worship of God or any type of religion was deemed as immoral. I know that's a stretch, but I read many posts on BOL of people pouring forth their religious beliefs and ideals. I am sure that some of you who do this practice Catholicism. If the Catholic Church continued to be dragged down by recent controversies to a point where Catholicism was viewed as "bad" by a majority view, how would you feel about something that was still an important and integral part of your life being used as a judgment tool against you? Maybe we should ask Fantasia that question?????

Return to Top
#194711 - 06/01/04 07:41 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
deppfan Offline
Power Poster
All over the map.
Quote:

If the Catholic Church continued to be dragged down by recent controversies to a point where Catholicism was viewed as "bad" by a majority view, how would you feel about something that was still an important and integral part of your life being used as a judgment tool against you?

What do you mean IF? I am Catholic and live in a predominantly Baptist area. I have very recently had remarks directed my way about the Catholic church, by a senior officer. I took offense, but asked God to forgive her ignorance rather than tell her that no church is immune to corruption, and that you find corruption in every walk of life. Back to your thought, I will continue to practice my faith based on my conscience, even though some judge me because of it.

Return to Top
#194712 - 06/01/04 07:53 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Let's just remember that you are talking about morality, not legality. What is moral to some is not to others.

And that is EXACTLY the horsecrap that is responsible for the single teenage mom problem, Moral Relativism at its finest.

Return to Top
#194713 - 06/01/04 08:09 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:

Let's just remember that you are talking about morality, not legality. What is moral to some is not to others.

And that is EXACTLY the horsecrap that is responsible for the single teenage mom problem, Moral Relativism at its finest.

Michael - that's really not fair of you. It's horsecrap to you, but not to some, myself included. And I say that only because to me it's not "morality" that is the issue here - it's how people raise their children and you may still label that as morality, but I think you would be wrong. It's more societal in nature which is different in my opinion. Regardless - while I don't think you meant to be harsh, I don't think you should call anyone's opinions horsecrap if their opinions don't mesh with yours.

Return to Top
#194714 - 06/01/04 08:32 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Michael - that's really not fair of you. It's horsecrap to you, but not to some, myself included. And I say that only because to me it's not "morality" that is the issue here - it's how people raise their children and you may still label that as morality, but I think you would be wrong. It's more societal in nature which is different in my opinion. Regardless - while I don't think you meant to be harsh, I don't think you should call anyone's opinions horsecrap if their opinions don't mesh with yours.

Actually, I did mean to be harsh, perhaps because by being harsh I could get peoples attention. Raising our children is all about morality; teaching them right from wrong. How can we possibly hope they will be prepared to do the right thing if we constantly bombard them with the idea that the only people who can be wrong in our society is the majority. It's bad to say that something is wrong, or to discriminate against minorities, but it is perfectly ok to discriminate in their favor. It's ok to be a single mom, and we accept the fact that you are going to have premarital sex, and we are going to bombard you with sex and violence on prime time television when you are all watching. But that's ok, because there is no right or wrong, it's just relative to what you believe.... And yet by teaching our children this horsecrap, we are surprised when they have sex, get pregnant, and raise children before they are ready? We are surprised when things like the shootings at Columbine happen? We are surprised that the Menendez brothers shot their family for financial gain?

Perhaps if we went back to saying some things are just plain wrong, like Murder, Rape, Incest, Theft, Child Pornography, etc. instead of simply saying it's only wrong because the law says so, we would see an improvement in our children's future.

Return to Top
#194715 - 06/01/04 08:39 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Michael - I am not going to get into a full back & forth blow by blow with you, but I am also not going to let you continue to call other people's opinions including mine "horsecrap". You stick to yours, I will stick to mine, but in the meantime, come on down off the high horse of yours for a second and maybe, if you are lucky, you won't get run over by the the reality horse!

Return to Top
#194716 - 06/01/04 09:07 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

Michael - I am not going to get into a full back & forth blow by blow with you, but I am also not going to let you continue to call other people's opinions including mine "horsecrap". You stick to yours, I will stick to mine, but in the meantime, come on down off the high horse of yours for a second and maybe, if you are lucky, you won't get run over by the the reality horse!

You would love for me to simply say that you have your opinion and I have mine. That is indeed the entire essence of your moral relativistic view. Moral Relativism stems from a complete lack of backbone in defending what one knows is right and wrong. I am therefore not at all surprised that this is your response. If you actually had an opinion, as opposed to simply saying that it is impossible to actually have a correct opinion, I wouldn't be calling it horsecrap. As for the reality horse, I don't fear it one bit, after all, when I meet the one true God who knows what is Right and Wrong, I will be judged by His standards, the True and Objective Standards. By upholding what is right and standing against what is wrong, I have no fear of His judgement. Perhaps you should consider finding a horse to ride instead of just standing in a stampede.

Return to Top
#194717 - 06/01/04 09:20 PM Re: American Idol III Wrapup!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wrong again! (and since when did morality have to be intertwined with religion - do me a favor and at least for this argument, leave religion out of it because that is not what we are discussing) I just refuse to paint the world in a black & white/right or wrong portrait. If I did that, then I would never have married my wife who decided out of what I view as true love, reason, and virtue, decided against marrying the father of her child who she had (gasp) out of wedlock. She made a decision that her child would be better off without being raised in a marrieage that should never be, and then, with the support of her family, spent 3 years raising a wonderful daughter while working 3 jobs until I became a husband and dad to her and our daughter. If I thought like you, I wouldn't be married right now and wouldn't have the most wonderful 10 year old daughter in the world because my black & white view of the world would have made me look upon my wife with scorn. My "opinion" is that there are certainly problems in this world with morality and with society, but it is individuals that cause the problems, not labels such as single moms or homosexuals. Give me a kind, loving, honest single mom or homosexual over a dishonest, cruel childless married heterosexual any day of the week.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2