Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#205270 - 06/28/04 11:56 PM Buying American
TrueBlueBanker Offline
Platinum Poster
TrueBlueBanker
Midlands SC
Does anyone besides me try their best to buy American made products. I am a strong believer that we should try to buy American when possible...What do you say?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#205271 - 06/29/04 12:36 PM Re: Buying American
chocolate Offline
100 Club
Wisconsin
This is one of the lessons my Dad ingrained in me. It's getting harder and harder to find the products. What a great way to support our country.

Return to Top
#205272 - 06/29/04 01:03 PM Re: Buying American
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
My boyfriend does try very hard to buy American. I on the other hand don't usually ever pay attention to that kind of stuff.

Return to Top
#205273 - 06/29/04 01:16 PM Re: Buying American
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
I try to buy American. It is not always easy or affordable. I have bought all American made cars. Though most of the parts are foreign made. I plan to continue trying to buy American made.

Return to Top
#205274 - 06/29/04 01:24 PM Re: Buying American
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I try to buy American. It is not always easy or affordable. I have bought all American made cars. Though most of the parts are foreign made. I plan to continue trying to buy American made.

What cars do you think are made in America? Toyota? yes... Chevy? Maybe... Oh, and many of the parts for "American" made cars are imported from the UK or Japan.

I buy American if I can find it, but frankly, it has become difficult to find American made products.

Return to Top
#205275 - 06/29/04 01:26 PM Re: Buying American
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

What do you say?

I say buy the best product for the money. All else equal, I will buy American. One caveat: I try to avoid buying products from countries ruled by oppressive regimes (such as the Chinese Communists) where the $$ goes to prop them up.

Return to Top
#205276 - 06/29/04 02:46 PM Re: Buying American
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I agree with Michael, it's very hard to find American made products. My husband refuses to buy an american car, preferring Toyota or Honda, claims American cars haven't quite made it the same level as those makers. Yet, he was OK with me buying a Ford. Hmmm.

Return to Top
#205277 - 06/29/04 02:52 PM Re: Buying American
Bank on it Offline
100 Club
Bank on it
New York
Quote:

I say buy the best product for the money. All else equal, I will buy American. One caveat: I try to avoid buying products from countries ruled by oppressive regimes (such as the Chinese Communists) where the $$ goes to prop them up.

I agree. I love America and I love being an American. I don't feel that being a good consumer is in opposition of that.

Return to Top
#205278 - 06/29/04 02:57 PM Re: Buying American
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I agree with Michael, it's very hard to find American made products. My husband refuses to buy an american car, preferring Toyota or Honda, claims American cars haven't quite made it the same level as those makers. Yet, he was OK with me buying a Ford. Hmmm.

The Toyota vehicles you buy in the USA are MADE in the USA! I don't know about Honda.

Return to Top
#205279 - 06/29/04 03:05 PM Re: Buying American
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Honda was made in Canada.

Return to Top
#205280 - 06/29/04 03:07 PM Re: Buying American
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Mine was assembled in Ohio.

Return to Top
#205281 - 06/29/04 03:26 PM Re: Buying American
Nananator Offline
Nananator
TX...but nowhere near Big D
We have a purple heart license plate on our car and we refuse to have it on anything that even remotely sounds foreign. But if I should buy a Porsche Boxster convertible, perhaps a re-evaluation would be in order.

Return to Top
#205282 - 06/29/04 03:46 PM Re: Buying American
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Last weekend I was standing in my kitchen, picking up my daughters toys. For some reason I turned over her toys and each and every one said "Made in China". That got me going, I started picking up miscellaneous items from around the kitchen to find out where they were made. I would say roughly 90% of the items were "Made in China". I was absolutely amazed! I couldn't believe that that much product was manufactured outside the USA.

It got me thinking that maybe I should scrap banking and open up a store called "Made in the USA". -Maybe I can open up next to Walmart! Its getting close to the Fourth of July and I am feeling very patriotic....plus our local economy sucks.

Return to Top
#205283 - 06/29/04 03:48 PM Re: Buying American
Anonymous
Unregistered

I graduated high school in Mid-Ohio and looking at the reunion rooster, half the graduating class works at the Honda Plant in Marysville, OH. Buy Honda and you keep food on the table for the Class of 1972!

Return to Top
#205284 - 06/29/04 03:58 PM Re: Buying American
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

I graduated high school in Mid-Ohio and looking at the reunion rooster, half the graduating class works at the Honda Plant in Marysville, OH. Buy Honda and you keep food on the table for the Class of 1972!

Where does the other half of the rooster work? The chicken coop?

Return to Top
#205285 - 06/29/04 03:59 PM Re: Buying American
Anonymous
Unregistered

That darned spell check....

Return to Top
#205286 - 06/29/04 04:05 PM Re: Buying American
Bengals Fan Offline
Power Poster
Bengals Fan
Cincinnati, OH
Quote:

That darned spell check....

That's ok I laughed so hard everyone had to read your post here in the office when I read it. I could just picture half of a rooster showing up at a reunion... I mean we have all heard about the chicken running around with it's head cut off!

Return to Top
#205287 - 06/29/04 04:40 PM Re: Buying American
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

...I would say roughly 90% of the items were "Made in China". I was absolutely amazed! I couldn't believe that that much product was manufactured outside the USA...plus our local economy sucks.

Free trade with China is not an economic threat to the US.

A nationalist China may become a strategic threat to the US, in the future.

Return to Top
#205288 - 06/29/04 06:51 PM Re: Buying American
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

We have a purple heart license plate on our car and we refuse to have it on anything that even remotely sounds foreign. But if I should buy a Porsche Boxster convertible, perhaps a re-evaluation would be in order.

Well, you could get a BMW Z4 Roadster. They are definitely made in the USA - about 4 miles from my house in Greer, SC. Michelin tires are also made here in upstate SC where Michelin has their North American headquarters.

Return to Top
#205289 - 06/29/04 07:19 PM Re: Buying American
Nananator Offline
Nananator
TX...but nowhere near Big D
You sold me....I'll take one. And, I'll do the explaining to him that it's ok to put his purple heart on my BMW.

Return to Top
#205290 - 06/30/04 01:52 AM Re: Buying American
Anonymous
Unregistered

After reading this thread I took a look at all the stuff on my desk. Calculator made in Japan...Tape dispenser made in Taiwan...Calendar holder made in China...most everything on my desk was made overseas. The only item made in the good old USA was the scotch tape....Something is definitely wrong here. Can you imagine if only half the stuff brought from overseas was made in the USA...what a difference that would make in our economy.

Return to Top
#205291 - 06/30/04 03:32 AM Re: Buying American
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Toyota has a big facility in Southern California - I think it's in the city of Ontario.

Return to Top
#205292 - 06/30/04 11:24 AM Re: Buying American
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Toyota also has one in western Indiana.

Return to Top
#205293 - 06/30/04 01:32 PM Re: Buying American
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Can you imagine if only half the stuff brought from overseas was made in the USA...what a difference that would make in our economy.

Yes, we couldn't afford anything, productivity would suffer, and our standard of living would plummet.

Return to Top
#205294 - 06/30/04 02:12 PM Re: Buying American
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega Offline
Diamond Poster
Inquisitor / Sommelier Omega
A Grant Wood painting.
Many items made overseas are made for a US company. It is much cheaper to manufacture elsewhere due to several factors. (Labor cost comes to mind.) The more profit that is made by a company, the better thier earnings look and the higher the market values thier stock. This can have a positive impact on your retirement.

If you are willing to pay more for goods manufactured in the US, stop buying the other stuff and write a letter or two.

I won't buy a small "American" car because I believe them to be junk. That being said, many good cars are being made in the US by companies based elsewhere.

I do look at labels. Sometimes the selection does not leave a lot of choice.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2