Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#216180 - 07/27/04 05:36 PM Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Apparently, the grass roots sentiment runs contrary to the wisdom currently expressed by both poltical parties. Please assume that bashing means attacking the person rather than the person's ideas.

I'm confident that if other options are necessary some respondents will provide them.
What do you think is the primary effect of bashing?
single choice

Votes accepted starting: 07/27/04 04:00 AM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#216181 - 07/27/04 06:53 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Hypothesis confirmed?

Return to Top
#216182 - 07/27/04 07:02 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Missing option:

Bashing is OK, but only if they deserve it.

Bashing:
To engage in harsh, accusatory, threatening criticism.

Now, 'threatening' is taking it a little too far, but harsh and accusatory criticism seems like the American way, especially harsh criticism, but any level of criticism is now considered bashing within the political scene. That's what sells newspapers.

Return to Top
#216183 - 07/27/04 07:42 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Quote:

but harsh and accusatory criticism seems like the American way, especially harsh criticism...

That, Paragon, is the problem with our current manner (or lack thereof) in our civil discourse: if we don't agree with another persons ideas, our response is to attack that person individually, rather than refute the ideas.

When I was in high school and college and studying argumentation, we spent some time reviewing common forms of argumantation that were considered non-effective. At the top of the list was a form of argument called ad hominem argument - literally "at the man."

As a society, we now believe that it's perfectly normal to debate policy issues by calling our opponents "pro-life extremists," "tax and spend liberals," etc. Instead of furthering the national debate, all this does is make people angry. Angry people tend to respond in kind. And the cycle continues.

We are never going to solve some of our most intractable national issues - Social Security, abortion rights, health care, by hurling invective and names at each each other. As Ken's poll notes, all that this accomplishes is a little therapy for the name-caller.

That does not mean that we cannot have spirited, animated, (and even heated) debate. But our remarks need to be directed at the policies and ideas we discuss, not at each other. Otherwise, we'll never solve these problems, jsut sit around and argue about them.

Return to Top
#216184 - 07/27/04 08:12 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

Bashing is OK, but only if they deserve it.

I'm sorry, I can't agree. This election has to be about where we're going, not about what either candidate did 30 years ago.

I'm so conservative I won't eat chicken wings unless they come from the right side of the bird but I've got to tell you, I'm embarassed by the tone of the Republican advertising. I'm also embarassed by our attacks on Mr. Kerry and his wife.

We need to get the discouse out of the gutter. . . we deserve better than that.

Return to Top
#216185 - 07/27/04 08:22 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

...I'm embarassed by the tone of the Republican advertising. I'm also embarassed by our attacks on Mr. Kerry and his wife.

We need to get the discouse out of the gutter. . . we deserve better than that.

Specifics, please?

Return to Top
#216186 - 07/27/04 08:22 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
loan doc girl Offline
North Texas
Can I get an AMEN! I agree completely, pbrinker. You put very eloquently what I was thinking but would not have expressed so well. Thanks for reading my mind!

Return to Top
#216187 - 07/27/04 08:46 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I'm sorry, I can't agree.

Don't be sorry, as I'm not looking for agreement. You and pbrinker need to get with the program - it's not 30 years ago or 10 or 5 – reality has no feeling and when you mess up in political life, you are fair game with half the entire American population disagreeing with you anyway.

For example, Heinz Kerry said 'un-American' stuff has entered into the discourse - she was asked for specifics, she denied even saying 'un-American' just a few minutes earlier on video tape - she told the reporter to 'shove it.' Now, that is personal behavior that is deserving of harsh criticism.

I know that some of the more mature posters here want to go back to the old days – it’s not going to happen, so get over it and go with the times.

There is nothing that you can post here that will make any difference - not even a survey. You are just filling a much needed gap.

Return to Top
#216188 - 07/27/04 09:12 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Anonymous
Unregistered

I didn't like Chelsea-bashing or Gore-daughter-bashing - and it's a courtesy I extend to the Bush daughters as well.

Return to Top
#216189 - 07/27/04 09:52 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I'm with you on that one - the children should be sheltered, unless they actively participate.

Return to Top
#216190 - 07/28/04 12:25 AM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'm not an old fogey who wants to go back to the old days. I'm a young voter who gets SICK of hearing crap about the candidates families, their personal lifes, etc., and nothing about the issues.

Has anyone spoken on the Kerry decision to disallow this type of negative speaking at the Democratic convention? I for one think it's high time this sort of decision was made. Will I vote for Kerry, I don't know, but if Bush proceeds with attacks he'll make up my mind for me.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#216191 - 07/28/04 01:04 AM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Dawnie, Dawnie, Dawnie; wake up! The Kerry machine is controlling everything at the convention to make sure their message gets accross. Once the convention is over, it is back to normal.

Bill Clinton lied about four points in his speech last night. But he sounded good doing it and was, therefore, believable to the faithful.

Return to Top
#216192 - 07/28/04 05:45 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
I'm not an old fogey who wants to go back to the old days. I'm a young voter who gets SICK of hearing crap about the candidates families, their personal lifes, etc., and nothing about the issues.

Young? How young? You should stay out of this kitchen.

Return to Top
#216193 - 07/28/04 05:50 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Just don't bash my cat!

Return to Top
#216194 - 07/28/04 06:58 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Anonymous
Unregistered

Speaking of families... I've been told that a sitting President's personal assets are placed in trust during the term of the presidency (to avoid conflcit of interest?).
Does the same apply to First Ladies? It stands to reason that they would - for example, the SEC's "beneficial ownership" rules that apply to publicly held companies.
Please, I intend this as a non-partisan question, although you may correctly surmise that the prospect of an independently wealthy billionaire First Lady is what has piqued my curiosity.

Return to Top
#216195 - 07/28/04 07:21 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

Speaking of families... I've been told that a sitting President's personal assets are placed in trust during the term of the presidency (to avoid conflcit of interest?).
Does the same apply to First Ladies? It stands to reason that they would - for example, the SEC's "beneficial ownership" rules that apply to publicly held companies.
Please, I intend this as a non-partisan question, although you may correctly surmise that the prospect of an independently wealthy billionaire First Lady is what has piqued my curiosity.

Generally, an individual elected President places their (and their family's) assets in a blind trust to do avoid any conflicts of interest.

This would be a very interesting question, whether THK would do so. We are all aware that her money is not his money - thus she was ostensibly unable to spend her fortune on his campaign.

Return to Top
#216196 - 07/28/04 11:45 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Just don't bash my cat!

I love animals, even cats. But, I'm taking over your devil with my devil avatar a lot more devilish than your avatar.

Return to Top
#216197 - 07/29/04 12:30 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Quote:

Hypothesis confirmed?

No, more people think its effective (currently 1 in 6) than I would have thought. That may be explained by the size of the sample or the pool of respondents chosen.

It would be interesting to see the results of a scientific study on this issue. The response alternatives that I offered certainly did not cover all the bases; e.g. what about the effects of bashing on people who support the person being bashed? What percentage of them is likely to be galvanized in their support by witnessing the attacks? Is creating a near religious fervor in the opposition a smart thing to do?

I can understand why the candidates themselves attempt to curb their supporters' use of these tactics: Mutually Assured Destruction. Is it hard to understand that if someone employs character assassination against one candidate's spouse that the other candidate's children will not be spared?

However, political supporters are oftentimes like the guy on the Wendy's commercial. Their "employment" is "unofficial;" they may not even know what the rules of engagement are. Even if their candidate had made his or her wishes clear, they certainly do not feel bound to abide by them and their actions can do their candidate more harm than good.

Return to Top
#216198 - 07/29/04 01:07 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Hey Dawnie - I'm not sure what convention you are watching, but the snippets I've watched (I can only take about 15 minutes per night) have all had Bush bashing. They don't name Bush per se, but use the term "This Administration." Al Shartpton did it, Obama did it, AL Gore did it, Hillary (gag) did it, Bill (Mr. Monica) did it, and John Edwards did it. I found Mr. Gore's comments funniest of all..."It is time to bring integrity back to the office of the President." I'm sure he was referencing Mr. Clinton's dalliances in the oval office.

Return to Top
#216199 - 07/29/04 07:18 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon
Watching the dimo-bulb convention has been much needed comic relief for me. Allowing Sharpton to speak? Has that man ever had a real job? I've always enjoyed watching Slick Willy - he is excellent at what he does - he actually sounds like he believes in what he is saying. Theresa - what a trip she was having! Edwards - two America's? Now that was an interesting concept, say back in the 50's, but even Edward's got out of one and is now living in the other, as have most Americans. This class stuff is way over the top.

Return to Top
#216200 - 07/29/04 08:21 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Just don't bash my cat!

I love animals, even cats. But, I'm taking over your devil with my devil avatar a lot more devilish than your avatar.

PARAGON! Dads should not stalk their daughters!

But, in any event, my devil may look more innocent than yours, but she is not.

Return to Top
#216201 - 07/29/04 08:43 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Paragon Offline
Diamond Poster
Paragon

Oh, yes she is and sensitive, also!

Anyway, I've changed my avatar to a friendly duck out having a good time.

Return to Top
#216202 - 07/29/04 08:45 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Oh, yes she is and sensitive, also!

Anyway, I've changed my avatar to a friendly duck out having a good time.

At this particular time, it does not look that way to me (your avatar). And yes, I am a thin-skinned liberal, remember?

I love you. Paragon, you are so surly and self righteous! XOX XOX

Return to Top
#216203 - 07/29/04 08:47 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Next time, you should change your avatar... before you tell me. XOXOXOXOXOXOOXOXOOX

Return to Top
#216204 - 07/29/04 08:54 PM Re: Bashing Politicians & Their Family Members
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA

*slowly backs out of the thread...*

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2