Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#433192 - 10/04/05 04:00 AM Any former military to answer a question?
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
A good friend in the Air Force has been promoted from lieutenant colonel to Colonel. I have been invited to the promotion ceremony for pinning of his new rank. I know nothing about this - except that they're putting together this ceremony and dinner celebration.

My question: Should I bring a gift and card of congratulations - or anything? This is new to me! Any info would be appreciated!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#433193 - 10/04/05 01:31 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
If I was to bring a gift it would be a momento commerating the date of the promotion. A key chain, money clip, etched mug, etc...with the date and Colonel Smith on it. A congratulatory card and your presence would probably be the best gift.

Return to Top
#433194 - 10/04/05 01:34 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
An Uzi?

Return to Top
#433195 - 10/04/05 02:21 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I thought that it was standard to bring mustard gas or some other chemical weapon of mass destruction...

okay, just kidding. I asked my grandfather, retired from the air force, he said a card was more than sufficient

Return to Top
#433196 - 10/04/05 02:31 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
Anonymous
Unregistered

expensive booze.

Return to Top
#433197 - 10/04/05 03:10 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Ditto the liquor! Although unnecessary, still a nice gesture.

Return to Top
#433198 - 10/04/05 03:19 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
See if you can obtain a special coin commemorating the event. Air Force personnel have all sorts of special coins that they keep, sometimes trade, or give to their subordinates for a special occasion. (For example, my boyfriend received his Chief's coin for receiving the Distinguished Graduate award at the NCO Academy last year.) It may be tough but if you could get your hands on one of those coins, it would make her day. (Of course, she is so high ranking now, she probably has her own coins! )

Return to Top
#433199 - 10/04/05 06:14 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
Anonymous
Unregistered

MTnFull,

A gift or card is usually not required, nor expected. However, if you want to take something a nice bottle of wine and a congratulations card.

If you would want to get something for him to remember (trust me he won't forget this day) the ceremony and you being there, look for solid back colonel collar devices and have the date engraved.

When I was selected for Chief (Navy) a very close friend gave me a set of anchors to use the day that I was pinned. I had all intention to keep those anchors and wear them all the time in memory of this guy, but all my uniforms were stolen while traveling cross country.

Seadevil

Return to Top
#433200 - 10/04/05 06:26 PM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree with Seadevil. Nothing is necessary, especially at the ceremony itself. You'll be watching from a distance and that wouldn't be the place to present anything, based on my experiences.

I like the idea of an engraved insignia. A colonel has an eagle. If you have access to a post exchange you could get this and perhaps have it engraved there as well.

What this person wants most is to share this promotion and moment of celebration with friends. Depending on what they do this promotion may well move them to a new duty station and assignment.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#433201 - 10/05/05 04:10 AM Re: Any former military to answer a question?
Citrus Offline
Diamond Poster
Oh, you guys, thanks for the info! It really helps - I especially like the idea of getting something engraved with "colonel X" and the date. I will not be attending the ceremony. (Remember that little thing about falling off a ladder) - I know something like 150 people have been invited. His wife is my best friend of 25 years and he is the father of my godchildren, so I felt I should do something special in my absence - but didn't know what was appropriate. I thank you soo much!

Return to Top