#451189 - 11/02/05 04:51 PM Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores

By Kathleen Parker

Orlando Sentinel

(ITALICS)"So was the feminist movement some sort of cruel hoax? Do women get less desirable as they get more successful?"(END ITALICS)

Columnist Maureen Dowd posed those questions in Sunday's New York Times Magazine in an essay adapted from her forthcoming book: "Are Men Necessary: When Sexes Collide."

Entertaining as usual, Dowd explored her premise that many women end up unmarried and childless because they're successful by reviewing women's evolution since her college days, which happen to have coincided with my own. We both came of age as women's lib was being midwifed into the culture by a generation of women who felt enslaved by homemaking and childbearing.

Now, in the span of a generation, all that business about equality apparently isn't so appealing to a younger generation of women, who are ever inventive as they seek old ways to attract new men. Dowd writes:

"Today, women have gone back to hunting their quarry . with elaborate schemes designed to allow the deluded creatures (men) to think they are the hunters."

Snip......... Tribune Midia Services

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#451190 - 11/02/05 04:54 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Just a funny line I heard last night on "That 70's Show" from Kitty: "I'm all for women's rights but for God's sake, at least put on a little lipstick!" Just thought it was funny and wanted to share.

Return to Top
#451191 - 11/02/05 05:01 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Perhaps not all that funny, but right on target.

Return to Top
#451192 - 11/02/05 05:03 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
ZGuy20 Offline
Platinum Poster
To Quote George Carlin whom I share a lot of ideas with
"I do agree that chairman should be chairperson, spokeman should be spokesperson. But sometimes they take it a bit too far" He then spouts into many ways to tick off a feminist

Return to Top
#451193 - 11/02/05 05:51 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Also in the article:

Men haven't turned away from smart, successful women (ITALICS) because (END ITALICS) they're smart and successful. More likely they've turned away because the feminist movement that encouraged women to be smart and successful also encouraged them to be hostile and demeaning to men.

Whatever was wrong, men did it. During the past 30 years, they've been variously characterized as male chauvinist pigs, deadbeat dads or knuckle-dragging abusers who beat their wives on Super Bowl Sunday. At the same time women wanted men to be wage earners, they also wanted them to act like girlfriends: to time their contractions, feed and diaper the baby, and go antiquing.

And then, when whatshisname inevitably lapsed into guy-ness, women wanted him to disappear. If children were involved, women got custody and men got an invoice. The eradication of men and fathers from children's lives has been feminism's most despicable accomplishment. Half of all children will sleep tonight in a home where their father does not live.

Did we really think men wouldn't mind?

Any other divorced dads out there who, like me, know exactly what this writer is talking about??

Return to Top
#451194 - 11/02/05 10:34 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Anonymous
Unregistered

Kathleen Parker has never had any facts that ever supported her opinion. She usually makes things up just to make a point. Typical of her kind of commentary.

For example, " The eradication of men and fathers from children's lives has been feminism's most despicable accomplishment. Half of all children will sleep tonight in a home where their father does not live. " Where is the proof that backs this statement up? I guess in Kathleen's world mothers and wives are solely responsible for the divorce rate in this country, "dead beat dads" is a term with which she is not familar, etc. etc.

kathleen has a problem with reality--she doesn't like to live in it.

Return to Top
#451195 - 11/02/05 10:59 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
Quote:

Where is the proof that backs this statement up?

Read the report "America's Families and Living Arrangements: 2003" issued November 2004 by the US Census Bureau. The report does not list child counts, but 25% of all households with children are single parent households, and that number continues to grow.

Yeah feminism!

Return to Top
#451196 - 11/02/05 11:16 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Anonymous
Unregistered

The orignal anon questioned the statement:

" The eradication of men and fathers from children's lives has been feminism's most despicable accomplishment. Half of all children will sleep tonight in a home where their father does not live. "

You, in response say that 25% of all households are single parent households (some with men and some with women as head of household). First of all, 25% is not half and I am certain that these 25% of families have "half of all children".

Second though, you seem to assume that this is caused by feminism! Divorce, death and desertion are caused by feminism????

Return to Top
#451197 - 11/02/05 11:18 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Anonymous
Unregistered

The next to the last sentence should read: "First of all, 25% is not half and I am certain that these 25% of families do not have "half of all children".

Return to Top
#451198 - 11/03/05 02:11 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
I said it didn't list child counts. But the report in 2002 did. 32% of all children live in a single parent household. That's over 22 million children! And given that only 18% of single familes are caused by separation or death, that means that over 18 million children (82%) do not live with both parents because of divorce or because they never bothered to get married in the first place.

Return to Top
#451199 - 11/03/05 02:19 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
But that doesn't mean that feminism is repsonsible for those divorces.

Return to Top
#451200 - 11/03/05 04:57 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Raymond Offline
Platinum Poster
Raymond
The Land of OZ
Feminism from the general concept of equal pay for equal work, equal rights in the work place, access to education, etc. is good and I would support that.

The problems with the feminist movement today are its leadership and direction, which has little or nothing to do with the above statement. “Feminism” is lead by a group of women who are either never married, divorced, or lesbians. Rare today is the happily married feminist leader. And more times then not, if you find a married feminist she’s married to a limp dishrag of man who’s evil [censored] is kept securely in a mason jar in the basement – lest he might get the crazy idea to use it.

I blame feminism today for the idea that men are no longer necessary, and thus the increasing divorce rate and increasing ranks of women having children out of wedlock.

The problem with all social causes is that they’re never finished. They are always shifting or expanding their focus to continue their existence. We could start a social cause today that wanted to outlaw Velcro shoes. We could have parades, write flowery essays and songs about how evil Velcro shoes are, get movement in Congress to outlaw Velcro shoes, and then FINALLY we win. We have outlawed Velcro shoes. Yeah, we won! No more Velcro shoes. Would we all pack-up and go home? NO! Outlawing Velcro shoes is no longer enough. Now we want to outlaw Zipper shoes. And we start the process all over again.

Return to Top
#451201 - 11/03/05 05:19 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Raymond, I think the answer or the reason is that those people who needed the first variation of feminism have had their goal accomplished. I'm not sure it's a problem as much as it's a reality that people always want what they don't have. It is a foundation of economics because it's true. You have to take the good with the bad (as you view it in a particular instance) in our free society.

Return to Top
#451202 - 11/03/05 05:26 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is the saddest thing I've ever read. Generalizations are never a good idea, Raymond. Attempting to blame one section of society for a whole host of problems is just ridiculous. Women cannot have children alone; women can't get a divorce by themselves; women can't have children out of wedlock all by themselves. We're many things but not many of us have divine intervention when it comes to procreation. And how can you seriously post any kind of response that attempts to analyze a societal problem in which women are called whores in the title? This is okay, apparently. Men don't want to be seen as "knuckle-draggers" but it's okay to call women whores.

As for having their man's [censored] in a mason jar - what have you been reading, man?!

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#451203 - 11/03/05 05:43 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

women can't get a divorce by themselves

Actually, in this era of no-fault divorces, they can. It's also a fact that a significant majority of divorces in this country are initiated by women.

Return to Top
#451204 - 11/03/05 05:48 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh well, then I completely changed my mind. You're right; it's all the fault of women. Poor men!

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#451205 - 11/03/05 05:51 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Careful people. Statistics can be very misleading. Especially ones that are completely generalized.

Return to Top
#451206 - 11/03/05 06:22 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Quote:

women can't get a divorce by themselves

Actually, in this era of no-fault divorces, they can. It's also a fact that a significant majority of divorces in this country are initiated by women.

I think the implication was: you have to be married in order to get a divorce.

Come to think of it, if women never married at all, the divorce rates would be non-existent.

Return to Top
#451207 - 11/03/05 06:23 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

Oh well, then I completely changed my mind. You're right; it's all the fault of women. Poor men!

Signed,
Another Anon

Not trying to imply that, Anon. Admittedly, I was trying to jerk your chain a bit. Seriously, though, while the original aims of the feminist movement were noble, they have incurred a cost.

It is a good thing that women are more independent today. When women had to depend on their husbands for support, there's no doubt that many women were forced to stay in abusive relationships. Feminism has certainly boosted the self-image of women. They no longer should feel trapped in an abusive relationship because they are more capable of supporting themselves than they were in previous generations.

This -- along with no-fault divorce -- has altered the balance of power in marriages today, in my opinion. She's not happy? Don't love him anymore? It wasn't meant to be? No problem. Get divorced and find someone else. This much has been said in many threads on this site, particularly those in The Couch. Marriage has become temporary and disposable. And, yes, I think this is a byproduct of the feminist movement. Our children are paying the price.

Return to Top
#451208 - 11/03/05 06:27 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
XODUS Offline
Power Poster
XODUS
Quote:

This is the saddest thing I've ever read. Generalizations are never a good idea, Raymond. Attempting to blame one section of society for a whole host of problems is just ridiculous. Women cannot have children alone; women can't get a divorce by themselves; women can't have children out of wedlock all by themselves. We're many things but not many of us have divine intervention when it comes to procreation. And how can you seriously post any kind of response that attempts to analyze a societal problem in which women are called whores in the title? This is okay, apparently. Men don't want to be seen as "knuckle-draggers" but it's okay to call women whores.

As for having their man's [censored] in a mason jar - what have you been reading, man?!

Signed,
Another Anon

Maybe women can't procreate on their own but they can be more selective about when and who they do it with. A little discretion could go a long way to solve some of those issues. There is always a desparate enough man. Doesn't mean you have to sleep with him.

Return to Top
#451209 - 11/03/05 06:31 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
It all started with the eating of the apple.

Return to Top
#451210 - 11/03/05 06:38 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's great, Idunit. Let's place the full burden of selecting appropriate mates fully on the shoulders of the women. Men, as they are so desperate, should not have to be selective. They should just be able to merrily go from woman to woman.

Women, of course, should also be completely in charge of the birth control decisions (except for the big one, naturally). Those desperate men don't have time to think about such picayune details. They've got slutty women to service, dammit!

She may not have to sleep with every desparate man, but he doesn't have to go riding bareback either. Responsibility is a two-way street. And yes, grmasterb, sometimes women get divorces because they just don't love their partners anymore. It's very sad - for everyone involved.

Signed,
Another Anon

Return to Top
#451211 - 11/03/05 06:50 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Quote:

And yes, grmasterb, sometimes women get divorces because they just don't love their partners anymore.

Standard marital vows:

I, (name), take thee (name), to be my lawfully wedded husband/wife.
To have and to hold,
To love and to cherish,
In sickness and good health,
In good times and bad,
'Til death do us part,
So help me God.

Where does it say that divorce is allowed because one partner no longer believes they love the other at the time?

Return to Top
#451212 - 11/03/05 07:29 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Those aren't the vows I said when I got married

Return to Top
#451213 - 11/03/05 07:33 PM Re: Feminism's devolution from hoaxers to whores
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Agreed, straw, the ones my husband must have said under his breath were:

"My family being in our house nearly all of the time is what I expect of you, woman; they are my family and I gave them all keys.
Oh, and if you don't like working full time, and cleaning and cooking and taking care of the baby, while I spend our money, too bad..."

Hmmm... no wonder divorce looked good.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3