BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#594807 - 08/08/06 01:02 AM Winston Churchill - Your Opinion
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
Churchill loathed Stalin and Communist Russia. His views of Russia were not always shared by FDR who secretly tried to deal directly with Stalin.

Churchill is credited with coining the trem "Iron Curtin" and worked to prevent Russia from taking into their sphere of influence territory they occupied. FDR did not seem to grasp the dangers posed by the Soviets.

Who do you think was right in their assessment at that time? Was FRD correct to lie to Winnie about his intentions?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#594808 - 08/08/06 01:50 PM Re: Winston Churchill - Your Opinion
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why? Is Bush lying to Blair and we're going to get this whole convoluted connection to how it's okay if that's what FDR did and look at how that turned out?

Return to Top
#594809 - 08/08/06 02:53 PM Re: Winston Churchill - Your Opinion
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
FDR was completely correct to mislead Churchill and work with Stalin. The allies needed Russia to beat the Nazis, just like the Soviets needed the British and Americans. Hitler was a far greater threat at the time. Where FDR may have messed up though was in sitting our troops on the banks of the Elbe for 3 weeks letting the Soviets take Berlin. Yes, it cost 250,000 Soviet troops, but it also led to the post-war partition of Germany.

Return to Top
#594810 - 08/08/06 05:47 PM Re: Winston Churchill - Your Opinion
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I don't necessarily think it's a matter of right or wrong. I think it's more a matter of different approaches and goals. I can see both sides.

Return to Top